The sky is packed with stars. What eyes the wise men must have had to see one more among so many. - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Edge of the Universe

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Edge of the Universe
I was thinkin about this a while ago, and though people say that the universe is infinite, i dont think it can be. If the big bang theory is true, then at some point however many billion billions of miles away, there must be a great burning edge that it is the explosion that created the universe carrying on. if it were possible to travel far enough and fast enough, i think this could potentially be what was found, though i will admit that it sounds a bit strange. the other thing that occured to me is the idea, that at some point the explosion from the big bang may reach its outmost point, and turn around again. if you watch some eplosions, the force everything out, then pull it back in on itself again, this would take the same mount of time as it took to expand.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its hard to analyse from a classical perspective. But lets clear some points first. If a singularity exists..its is exactly that and nothing more. It has no dimensions for it has not space. Literally it could be that something was created from nothing or that nothing and everythin exist at the same time, for time doesn't exist. These puzzles not only existed then, but also now. Space is curved...so the edge of the universe isn't like a drop...its like the old view that the earth is flat. Of course, its spherical, but the person adopting the classical view would be ever trying to see if the world were flat. If we try to make this even more confusing..it could be even that the earth is flat but that-just that we have warped imaginations!!!

The one problem with science is its belief, I feel, that everything can still be defined regardless-i.e. regardless of the perception of the observer the truth is out there to be found and will be found. Of course, however, intuition tels me that the observer ios never independent of the experiment. Is the moon there if noone perceives it? These questions are far too complex to try and rectify rationally.

""No words""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the notion that the universe is in a cycle of expanding and retracting is synonomous with the big bang theory. the amount of time that it takes for the universe to expand and retract is unknown. perhaps they both take the same amount, or perhaps the universe retracts at some point in a mere instant.

the teardrop theory still has relevance, as there is no way to determine which way the universe exploded (unless im behind the times?). if the universe exploded outwardly in a single direction then it would produce a teardrop shape, if it exploded outwardly from a center then you would get some type of circle.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the universe is the depiction of the perfect mind....the mind is shaped like the universe in every aspect because the mind is just open space, that no matter howmuch you put into it, it still has space for more.....the mind never stops growing, it was created but the end will never reach........because the mind is simply an understanding, and as long as there is life so that understanding can take place, it will never stop....!...the universe is only percieved as a lifeform.......a man who was blind from birth doesn't know what the hell the skys are...the galaxies and all that.. all he knows is that he lives in a space, the space in his mind that causes him to exist....so it is with us, what makes us so important cuz we can percieve our existence??....the universe neither expands or retracts.....it just IS..........s

"Being is not knowing!"
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
For the edge of the universe, this might be kind of pointless speculation but i think that it is more like the "edge" of a gas in space...molecules that are separated by empty space, only the molecules (actually bodies like planets) have a common direction...so i think that the universe just bleeds off into nothing.

Also, unless i just haven't been keeping up with things, the universe's expansion is actually accelerating, but im very sure about that.

36yrs • M •
ive always thought of the universe as exploding form a centre, rather than in one direction. i agree with the idea of the universe bleeding off to nothing, but what im saying, is "is there the edge of the big bang explosion at the forefront of the universes expansion, as there is with the any other explosion?"

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't believe the universe is limited to energy or matter but also by the rules of which is it based on... which in my head I believe that those rules at some point also begin to change. IE gravity no longer takes place without matter however at a certain point if matter does reach so far maybe there are different rules. Also I have wondered if the rules are created by empty existence or the matter/energy...

And so the universe in a sense would indeed be infinite. As I believe all thigns that have a beginning have an end, the universe does not have either and so is infinite.

"Dark and silent and complete."
[  Edited by Ancient at   ]
 36yrs • M •
if it is taken as read that the universe is infinite, the question i would ask, is "is there any matter outside a certain area of the universe?" if the universe spread from a central point, the space it spread into may be infinite, but is there matter in all of the space. are all the galaxies gathered in a sphere in the middle, surrounded by absolute emptiness.

35yrs • M •
We need a name that differentiates between the universe as space and law and the universe as matter/energy.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
from text books, The law of Thermodynamcis, stats that Energy can not be created or destroyed. Therefore the Universe cant be infinite, cause that would mean more energy would be created. I dunno thats all i can come up with on this subject.

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 35yrs • M •
"Therefore the Universe cant be infinite, cause that would mean more energy would be created." No it doesn't. And why do you think that the energy in the universe is actually the entire universe. Take away all the galaxies and dust and matter and energy and is there still a universe?

36yrs • M •
thats a good question, i would say probably not, it would just be the nothingness that originally existed.

i also agree with kevo, if the universe is infinite, but also expanding, then we would need more energy, or eventually the whole thing would just freeze over.

35yrs • M •
Think about it this way. Empty space infinite. Clusters of clusters of galaxies slowly apear over infinite time and space only to grow hot and then expand and become cold and sterile. It happens every where infinitely. The only thing to determine any relativety and seperation in the events and in the singularity of this existence is a consciousness within the existence.

Such is the universe. And such is us.

35yrs • M •
sublime99 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Two things: 1) If the universe in finite, what is on the "other side"
2) The expanding of the universe is the constant moving of matter out rom that center point. Our galaxie, it acclerating away from all matter, like raisins in the dough of bread when it is being baked. They get farther apart from each other. It all depends on how you define the universe. If the edges are defined as the farthest point that matter has reached, then it is ever expanding. I think the emptyness is the infinte part. We also exclude other universes in other dimensions. Its a pretty deep subject.

"think globally, act locally"
 35yrs • M •
yes but as uni meaing only... I include all things within my description thereof... except other demensions some times.

The Edge of the Universe
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy