The heights of popularity and patriotism are still the beaten road to power and tyranny. - Hume
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Buddhist riddles/interesting philosophies

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ok note this took budda two days to figure out the answer so you are going to think a lot here. Ok so you have a bottle with the opening just big enough to fit a chicken egg into. Now you manage to raise the egg to a full grown chicken insdie the bottle* yeah its that big* anyway the trick here is to get the chicken out without killing it, and without breaking the bottle.
and my phiosify for the day if the candle is lit then the meal was cooked a long time ago, yeah its also my qoute*damn i watch to much stargate* *edit yeah excuese my typing its kinda bad and yes i am still working on the spelling of phillosphy wait yay got it right* anyway please try to solve

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well you could "melt" a whole in the bottle, that's not technically breaking it. And while melting the bottle I don't suppose the chicken would die, but I should think it would cause it a lot of pain.

"entierly not the answer you were looking for"

F. Y. I. "philosophy"

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My solution is- you just imagined the duck in the bottle, now just imagine the duck out of the bottle

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
guyz, these buddhist riddles have got nothing to do with intellect. The whole purpose is to exaust the intellect so that you can be spiritually enlightned.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just pull real hard, and sqeeze it out with its head, being about the size of a chiken egg, will slide through fine. espicialy with all the loob from its guts, and it will hopefully die out side of the bottle.

'happiness does not come from haveing the things we want, it comes from wanting the things we have'

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 47yrs • M •
DavidHill is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I admire angel's definition of Zen problems.

For me I am drawn to the idea of what constitutes inside the bottle, and what is implied outside the bottle. Presumably our ego that understands the question is outside the bottle, with strange connotations of being trapped. The life cycle of chicken and egg, inside the bottle, is affirmative.

Now, taking these connotations to their logical conclusions, why would we want to pull the chicken out the bottle and risk killing it? Unless it gave birth to another egg, which would slide out of the bottle...

An excellent Zen problem to talk for hours about, would you agree?

"All I know is you"
 37yrs • M •
quote:
guyz, these buddhist riddles have got nothing to do with intellect. The whole purpose is to exaust the intellect so that you can be spiritually enlightned.

Angel Of Death: These riddels have nothing to do with logic. I am aware that it was a philosophical question. That is why I gave a philosophical answer.

DavidHill: it took me about 1 minute to solve the problem.

47yrs • M •
DavidHill is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
This is, for me, an interesting point of contention Summit. Because what does it mean to 'solve' this problem. As a buddhist quote it is inherently unsolvable. According to the source at the bottom.

"Zen monks are given a "koan" to contemplate. Koans are apparently impossible puzzles, problems without solutions."

But you have a sense that you have solved this problem. Certainly you have found one solution, could I encourage you to think of more?

Does not this question whether we seek a definitive answer to problems, when we are commonly happy with our personal interpretations?

Regards
David
From http://enchantedmind.com/html/creativity/inspiration/zen_pondering_puzzl
es.html

"All I know is you"
 35yrs • M •
summit-and philosophy has got nothing to do with logic?

37yrs • M •
DavidHill: I understand that one can perceive the question in several ways. And it is interesting. Can you think of another solution? I thought of cloning the chicken and then developing the cloned chicken outside the bottle...but that is more of a logical scientific approach.

AngelofDeath: Certain aspects of philosophy explore beyond logical reasoning. Philosophy can have great meaning without the inclusion of logical thinking systems. It can often be easy and dangerous to drift into a reductionist logical viewpoint. It is therefore, sometimes that aspects of philosophy try to avoid this. For example, the philosophy of metaphysics, or certain ways to approach this riddle.

[  Edited by summit at   ]
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Use the 4th dimension to extract the chicken from the bottle then placing it back into the 3rd dimension.

Think of it like a Stick figure on a piece of paper. The are "2" Dimensional thus they can perceive foward backward up and down but what about sideways? They can't come off the paper. Imagine you draw a stickfigure on a paper and draw a circle around him can he escape? no. Their minds are 2 dimensional thus they are completely closed inside that circle. The only way out is to actually pull him from the paper into our 3rd dimension thus appearing to other stickfigures that he just vanished from their world/universe. So in a sense their might possibly be a 4th 5th 6th etc dimensions out there. Thus a fourth dimensional being might be able to pull a 3 dimensional chicken from a 3 dimensional bottle to a 4 dimensional space and then put back into a 3 dimensional space other than the bottle. Much <3

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do we know that it is not a rubber bottle? or something elastic.

"What is true power?"
 35yrs • M •
summit, even philosophy Buddhisim shuns.

37yrs • M •
Buddhisim is a philosophy

35yrs • M •
no, its not. Monks don't sit and think about them being one with everything, they meditate.

1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy