The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. - Amarant Coral (Final Fantasy IX)
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Are natural disasters more frequently nowadays?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that danman2_2999 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
....or is this a bunch of mumbo jumbo? Some say the end of times is upon us and use examples of the pakistan earthquake as well as the earthquake that made the psunami (spelling?), as well as the hurricanes and floodes.

Are natural disasters occuring more frequently on a global scale?

And if so, is it because of maybe global warming or is it spontaneous?

"down to smoke a bowl?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it does seem that natural disasters have been happening, if not more frequently, then more severely this year, than in previous years. the tsunami at the end of last year, then the hurricane and flooding in new orleans, and now the earthquake in pakistan. it may well be that gloabl warming has had an effect, though im not a great believer in the severity of global warming (before anyone gets pissed off, i believe it exists, but i also think that its effects are being over exaggerated, and some of the changes, are natural shifts in climate, that have been happening since the earth got an atmosphere.) though i fail to see how global warming could be responsible for the earthquake. (but no doubt someone will tell me how, im sure my gf would try were she reading this)

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you look at weather patterns of the earth on a much larger scale (as in thousands of years as oppose to months), we have seen far more severe weather in the past and it is likely we will see similar weather in the future. in fact, we are due for some very nasty weather relatively soon. the earth can become quite a violent place and at some point it will become this way again, its simply a matter of time. it has nothing to do with religious aspects, nor does it involve global warming (altho global warming probably does have a small affect on things).

assuming we survive, we will see some far more nasty stuff in the next few thousand years.

we have been having catagory 5 hurricanes and lvl 7 earthquakes fairly commonly throughout earths history. athough great tragedies, they are no indication of the "end of days."

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, as Wyote mentioned; assuming humans survive, we will experience a lot of cataclismic climate events, in the next 1000years.

Throughout the last 4.5 billion years (age of the earth), the globe has gone through fluctuations of global warming and global cooling. Our planet is a complex, dynamic system that is in a constant state of change. Furthermore, the solid, liquid, gaseous, and organic realms of Earth are closely interlinked. A change in one part of the system is likely to affect other parts. However we a currently experiencing a very significant unique climate change. This is the first climate change in the whole of Earth's past that is being caused (primarily) by the human population. The globe is experiencing significant changes in climate, thus resulting in extreme weather events, such as the tsunami in S.E Asia, the drought in Australia or Hurricane Katrina in USA. The recent earthquake in Pakistan, isn't a result of climate change. That earthquake is just a result of plate tectonics (involving 2 plates colliding in this case).

Despite all the climate research, we do not yet have a clear vision of our climatic future. At present, the best we can conclude is that it is very probable that the climate is warming and will continue to warm as we add greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. In fact there is a high probability that average global temperatures will increase by 2 to 4 degrees Celsius (4 -7 degrees farenheit), leading to widespread environmental changes.

However note that this is only a brief, very rapid and nonrepeatable climate change, compared to earth's geological history. The greenhouse problem will last probably about 1000 years, and perhaps more, but ultimately the climate system will be put back into the next glacial age.

If you people didn't already know, we are currently in the 6th great wave of extinction (for which is being caused by human induced deforestation, increases in C02 levels) which in turn is causing the current global warming. Currently and in the near future we will experience more frequent extreme weather conditions. Global warming is the biggest catastrophe that we humans are facing. Using oil for example and releasing carbon emissions into the atmosphere is a major contributor to climate change.

Just to ramble on a bit more...many people need to waken up NOW! (especially politicians) As I said above humans are currently in the sixth great wave of extinction. Just look at the ecological disaster on Easter Island which was caused by:
- introduction of exotic species
- over exploitation of natural resources
- overpopulation
- destruction of habitat
- deforestation
- extinction of species
- complete ecosystem collapse

Does this sound familiar? yes it does. In a 1000 yrs humans will have become extinct unless we restrict climate change, population growth, over exploitation of resouces and habitats.

I'm quite an environmentalist .

"The summit is just a halfway point"
[  Edited by summit at   ]
 40yrs • M •
hateame is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Would an outbreak of the Bird flu virus(h5n1) be considered a natural disaster or a manmade catastrophe? Either way, if the virus mutates to a level where it easily jumps from man to man, it will lead to deaths in the millions. I guess nature is answering back. Humans have destroyed the earth; now we are payin back.

"I hate you"
 37yrs • M •
It would be a natural disaster. To be more specific it would be a biological disaster. Right now in human beings, the bird flu virus(h5n1) kills 55 percent of the people it infects. That makes it the most lethal flu we know of that can affect human beings. It has huge potential to become the next new pandemic.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Am i the only person who finds comfort in the fact that "natural" disasters occur more frequently. i put the quote marks on natural because i believe it is purely human disaster. Action / Reaction. maybe if we, and yes all of us, werent such self absorbed hypocritical assholes we could live at peace with earth but we all know that went to shits awhile ago. sorry for the negativity.
I find comfort in the fact that these are occuring because i whole heartedly believe that judgement day is near. and i do know that there are certain events that must occur before this can happen
worldwide devestation
hunger, famine, the mark of the beast, and many others which iessentially do not belong on this post but ill be glad to indulge if you do not already know of them and actually care. Dont get me wrong i dont enjoy the news of people dying who are lawfully innocent but i understand it and simply find comfort in my faith.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 37yrs • M •
quote:
i put the quote marks on natural because i believe it is purely human disaster. Action / Reaction

you seem rather anthropocentric. This is not our earth, this is all of life's earth. We are only one species amongst another 2million species. The term 'Natural' requires being put into its correct context.

37yrs • M •
we as people are the only species who have the option to use the earth for other than what it is intended for.

37yrs • M •
quote:
we as people are the only species who have the option to use the earth for other than what it is intended for

so what do you think it was intended for?
In order to define 'Natural' one needs to firstly question where one draws the line between 'natural' disaster and 'human' disaster.

37yrs • M •
the earth is what allows anything or anyone to exists. it is here to provide the things that are essential.
i didnt mean to subject every disaster as a human disaster i was simply making a point.

37yrs • M •
The rate of the current extinction wave appears to be greater in comparison to the last five great waves of extinctions. Recent temperature, precipitation and sea level fluctuations are causing the shrinkage of glaciers, thawing of permafrost, pole ward and altitudinal shifts of plant and animal ranges, diminishing coral reefs, and desertification. This has had a dramatic effect on the increase of faunal and floral extinctions. Progressive shifts of climatic conditions has caused significant losses of existing habitat.

Over the past century the global (land and sea) temperature has increased by 0.6 ± 0.2 °C . The effects of global warming are becoming more and more visible. Atmospheric carbon dioxide has increased 31% over 200 years.

The latest report from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)--climate forecasting--said the world could be as much as 5.8ºC warmer in 2100 than it is today.

60% of coral reefs have been destroyed or are on the verge of destruction; it's possible that all coral reefs may disappear during the next 40 years

On a global basis 7% of the approximately 50,000 vertebrate species are threatened with extinction over the next 20 years, including a staggering 25 per cent of all mammals and 12 per cent of all birds

(All of the above information was extracted from a report I recently wrote for university).

37yrs • M •
great facts...are you implying that these are all natural? im confused

37yrs • M •
No I am not implying that it is all natural (read what I have said before). I am implying the simple fact that the current global warming along with the 6th great wave of extinction is primarily being caused by the human population.

37yrs • M •
i wholeheartedly agree. sorry for the question, i just did not quite understand what the point behind it was. you seem to be in a better position to adress what are some things that we can do to prevent this. i realize that after 2000 years its quite the lost cause but if i am aware of the steps i should be taking and be more prepared to let other people know, i feel much better.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy