Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What do you believe? - Page 3

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Most people who have careers submit to limiting themselves to one main function, I guess all those people are misguided.

absolutely.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have put the word "only" in that sentence (those adverbs will get you!). Jesus did talk about punishment, but he usually meant it from a divine source, like God. I do believe in karma, so I half-believe in what Jesus said there. Now I know Jesus did look down upon sex (or at least adultery) and I disagree about looking down on sex but adultery is really mean, so, yeah, there's some more half-beliefs of mine. And yes, like Wyote said, people who absorb themselves into their career are absolutely misguided. About the whole meaningless thing, yeah, I do like it. It leaves an open ticket to the future. Just because I have no meaning doesn't mean I should be depressed. I like not having to fill a purpose, because having a purpose makes you a tool and not a person. Life is just more fun when it's spontaneous and not "preordained by the gods! (que scary lightning and thunder effects)" y'know?

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you make me proud.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Now I know Jesus did look down upon sex (or at least adultery) and I disagree about looking down on sex but adultery is really mean

Jesus never looked down on sex. He looked down on sexual immorality (i.e. promiscuity, incest, rape, pedophilia, and homosexuality) but sex is not something to be looked down on however most people do not appreciate its real value.

quote:
people who absorb themselves into their career are absolutely misguided

No one said absorbed, simply submitted. This means that most people have only one career at a time and some people have the same career all their lives. Do you look down on those people because they are committed? What of relationships is it a bad thing to commit to just one person or should we condone affairs?

quote:
About the whole meaningless thing, yeah, I do like it.

You are the first person I have ever met who is happy to have no meaning.

quote:
because having a purpose makes you a tool and not a person

Yeah who likes tools? Jerks like Ghandi and Mother Theresa. Shame on those people for limiting themselves.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 35yrs • M
ghandi was a racist. and mother thereasa was a crook. she stole from the church and gave a place to die for the dieing. they weren't good places. she was like a little sweet scrooge. and gahndi hated black people. and he was abussive. so yeah. tools do kinda blow chunks.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my experience I have no reason to believe there Is a God. Nothing Out of the ordinary has led me to see or even feel a higher power. I guess I want to say that I'm Agnostic? I don't really practice any religion I just don't believe until I see for myself.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
ghandi was a racist. and mother thereasa was a crook.

Even if these allegations are true that doesn't make purpose a bad thing. Everyone who has ever or will ever do anything good will have also done bad things. You have likely done both good and bad things does this make you a tool? Purpose is freedom. The lack of purpose is slavery.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just because mother thereasa stole from the church doesn't make her bad. The church is one of the richest organisations in the world. With billions in the bank, not having to pay taxes and having prime real estate in all of the world maes them actually rather wealthy. and although stealing from the rich doesn't make it right i beileave in the robin hood effect. Steal from the rich and give to the poor.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Catnip48 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is an answer to the first post.

I am a Catholic and believe in most of the belief. I think the Catholic heirarchy has wrong ways of influence people, however. Monks try to help people but the bishops seem just to insult opposing views. Jesus threw some insults but mostly told stories on what is right and wrong.

35yrs • M
the problem is she didnt give to the poor. have you ever seen her houses. they were bad. no beds. no medicine. often no food. she took the money for herself.

"Everyone who has ever or will ever do anything good will have also done bad things."
how do you know that?

"You have likely done both good and bad things does this make you a tool?"

iv'e never porposly hurt someone. never. and i've felt horrible both times i have, and troed to do everything i could to make them feel better.

"Purpose is freedom."

freedom is liberty. part of that liberty is the choice to have no porpuse.

"With billions in the bank"

well i guess its ok for me to steal from donald trump sense hes got billions in the bank, and i've got none. shit, im poor to.

"Jesus threw some insults but mostly told stories on what is right and wrong."

thats all im trying to do. with out saying im right and your wrong.

Awakend.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
responses to ethereals comments:
Again, I mess up on semantics! grr! Sorry, I guess I should have put "fornication" instead of "sex". I was typing quickly.

I don't look down on people who have "careers", I just think they're misguided. You see, society tricks you into thinking you need to have a job. Humans can't escape working, but a job, in my view, is employment at something you don't like or doesn't satisfy you. No one should waste their life doing that. Also, how can you be committed while submitting? That's like someone feeling real nifty about learned helplessness. And, yes, affairs are bad as well, in my opinion, because, like adultery, you betray a person's trust and love.

What I love about having a meaningless life is that, if you think about it, lots of beautiful things have no meaning. Art, when you think about it, serves no purpose whatsoever. Some might say it conveys one thing, and one might say it conveys another. Even the artist can be wrong about what it can convey. There are infinite interpretations for a piece of art, even though it serves no meaningful purpose. Art does not save people from hurricanes or run huge corporations. Art is simply art. Candy has no purpose as well, and is full of empty calories, but everyone is filled with sugary sweet desire for its wonderful taste. Surely artwork and candy disintegrate without anyone noticing it, without anyone saying it served any purpose, but all things are beautiful, whether wanted or unwanted. Humans suffer the same fate. I think that I would rather see my life as a piece of art that I can interpret and enjoy from any angle I choose, that I can play with at ease. The world itself is a piece of art that dies and changes with no one noticing. To teach myself that I have a purpose is to expand myself within set boundaries. I try to adopt the way of the fool, who, like in Shakespearean plays, is the wisest one of all while having lots of fun. To be carefree, and purpose-free, is to be able to enjoy the sweetness and spontonaiety of life.
And yes, Gahndi and Mother Teresa did wonderful things, there is no denying that, but they did not know since birth that they were meant to do this things, and I doubt that if anyone told them their purpose was to do this or that that they would follow that person's advice. Gahndi and Mother Teresa chose a life of helping others. They were not tools of fate, as I was suggesting having a set purpose makes you. But they are also two very unique and famous individuals. Not everyone can be Gahndi and Mother Teresa, and no one should try to. A person should strive to be him or herself, a unique piece of art that cannot be boxed into any definition or stereotype.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I belive in the prime 4 elements of earth wind water and fire along with their subsections ice electricy metal and wood along with life death light and dark. I am also an aethist.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
I don't look down on people who have "careers", I just think they're misguided. You see, society tricks you into thinking you need to have a job.

We do need jobs. How long do you think you would last without food? Well how prepares that food? Who plants the harvest? People work to make food which we need. You use the intenet someone must work to pay for it because people are paid to keep it running. You see the humanity would die if it chose to do no work. Careers are not misguided they are choosen purpose. You commend Ghaid and Mother Teressa for choosing purpose yet you still regard them as tools.

quote:
Art, when you think about it, serves no purpose whatsoever.

Art is expression are you saying that anyone who ever made art wasted their time on it? Do you not apreciated art? Art has meaning if only to entertain that is still purpose.

quote:
iv'e never porposly hurt someone. never. and i've felt horrible both times i have, and troed to do everything i could to make them feel better.

But the point is that even without trying you did wrong. Or would you consider it right?

quote:
freedom is liberty. part of that liberty is the choice to have no porpuse.

Choice to have no purpose is simply laziness.

quote:
well i guess its ok for me to steal from donald trump sense hes got billions in the bank, and i've got none. shit, im poor to.

You claim to define right and wrong so if you think theft is right then you should do it by your own standards. However remember that to do so would be to purposely hurt someone...

quote:
thats all im trying to do. with out saying im right and your wrong.

Die for the sins of the world and ressurect yourself from the dead before you compare yourself to Jesus.

35yrs • F •
You obviously didn't read the part where I siad "Humans can't escape working". Of course people need to farm to make food and work for other necessities in life, that'd be stupid of me to deny that. I was just defining "work" and "job" differently. Work=neccesarry labor or enjoyed employment while a job=unsatisfying or unfulfilling employment. Please read my entire post before standing up on your soapbox.

Art is not defined as entertainment, and as an artist I sure as hell don't make anything for amusement. Thinking that art conveys entertainment is just one interpretation of what art can define, not its exclusive purpose. When I said art serves no purpose, I meant it serves no practical purpose. That's why I gave examples of how it couldn't help hurricane victims or run a business.

For that last time, I DO NOT think Mother Teresa and Gahndi are tools! I'm saying that believing in fate means one believes that his or her life is merely a tool for some cosmic force. You must be confused about purpose and worth. Just because something doesn't have a purpose doesn't mean it's worthless and I am not implying otherwise. Mentally retarded children served no purpose to the Nazis, so they gassed them. Do you agree that those children had no worth since they had no purpose? I believe something like art, and people, don't need to have a purpose in order to be worth something. That's why I love having a meaningless life. I don't need to be ruled by fate and destiny to have worth and neither does anybody else.

39yrs • M •
quote:
Art is not defined as entertainment

I never said it was.I said if that was the only meaning that it was still purpose.

quote:
I was just defining "work" and "job" differently.

Maybe you shouldn't. If it is necessary to work then one must have a job.

quote:
I meant it serves no practical purpose.

Maybe we should have started this by defining purpose.

]
quote:
Do you agree that those children had no worth since they had no purpose?

I do not believe that any person has no purpose.

What do you believe? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy