My tongue is the only muscle in my body that works hard then my ..heart - DaiTheFlu
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is gender?

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is gender?
Gender is a physical trait but we spent too much time assigning gender to actions. What makes one action more masculine or feminine than another? What if all actions, except those relating to anatomy, are simply human? Could it be that by assigning these arbitrary gender roles we have actually decreased the productivity of our species? If a woman is capable of doing a typical man's task than why stop her? Likewise if a man can do a typically woman's task why not allow him to do so? By association of gender we have made perfectly reasonable tasks taboo for members of a specific gender group.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What makes one action more masculine or feminine than another?What if all actions, except those relating to anatomy, are simply human?

Some actions are naturally (genetically) determined by chromosomes and hormones:
males (XY chromosome)- testosterone and, females (X chromosome)- estrogen and progesterone.
Some actions are socially constructed.

quote:
could it be that by assigning these arbitrary gender roles we have actually decreased the productivity of our species?

it has changed society but not in terms of productivity. in the end productivty requires the conception of sperm and egg.

quote:
If a woman is capable of doing a typical man's task than why stop her? Likewise if a man can do a typically woman's task why not allow him to do so?

Don't stop either, we should all be treated equally. After all we are all the same species- human.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i hate when you get all siency like that. its real impersanol.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
quote:
science is always best guess

If you don't like another opinion maybe you should stop contradicting yourself on other posts- hence your reference to science always being the best guess. You seem quite confused.

35yrs • M
thats exactly what i meen. its a guess so why use it?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
You claim 'science' is a guess and invalid, yet any other reason is true. Unfortunately you may fail to realise that scientific theories are not facts. The ultimate goal of science is to best understand the natural world in terms of scientific theories, which are only concepts. In terms of this thread, science is most valid. 'Theory' refers to a speculative idea. You claim falsity in science but before you said it was the best method of knowledge. You are condradicting yourself. Science is an explanation of observation and testings, they are not guesses. They are simply reasons. Attempting to totally ignore science would be very feebleminded.

35yrs • M
"asking the man who started the thread"

did you want a scientific answer, or a more personal and more non-factorial answer? y'know like a good point of view.
oh and i know everything you just said, and i'm not sure but don't think i ever said it was invalid, just a guess. -thats you summit

39yrs • M •
quote:
did you want a scientific answer, or a more personal and more non-factorial answer? y'know like a good point of view.

Any answers at all.

37yrs • M •
notice awakenedwraith that you haven't actually given your opinion on what ethereal asked yet. You have simply wasted your time trying to critisize me. It would be interesting to here your so called 'personal, non-factorial answer' awakenedwraith. Once you have given your opinion then people may start to respect you.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 35yrs • M •

[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 39yrs • M •
quote:
social and ethical roles each culture gives when differentiating between the two genders

But those roles are limiting, why do we need to assign roles to gender? Aside from reproductive actions are there really acts that are exclusively male or female?

35yrs • M •

[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 37yrs • M •
thank you for taking a stance sleepingwraith. The way people value what is 'right' depends on their context. I'm all for gender equity. Social/ethical rights between genders are evening out (as sleepingwraith said), but only predominately in the western capitalist world. For the rest of the world (80% are poor) , inequity remains at its extreme, unfortunately.
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, people will respect you. He who does not have the courage to speak up for his rights cannot earn the respect of others. I am open to hear from anyone, that is why I am here- wisdom listens.

39yrs • M •
quote:
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, people will respect you.

Only people who are also content to be themselves will respect you. Others who are insecure will seek to break you down because you have something they do not.

What is gender?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy