Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Can revenge ever be justified?

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that syrcadalena is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is there any time at which it is ok to commit an act of revenge?

If someone kills your parents, is it ok to hurt him, not out of self-defence, but out of put revenge? Can this ever be right?

"For each time mankind progresses, man himself regresses."
 39yrs • F •
Liveless is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No I dont think so, If somebody murdered ur parents and u gonna murder them, then what the hell is the point, then u same as the killer. And u done nothing to change what already happened. It is a well known fact that revenge never helps, it only brings u peace momentarily. Meaning, u gonna imagine in ur mind, if u can find someone whos responsible and punish em the same way then u gonna be at peace. But that will never happen, u have to be able to accept what happened and try ur hardest to move on, without that, ur spirit is always gonna be broken.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If it is at me..I will just let it pass by. If someone affects somebody that is not me though I will react within my best judgement given the situation.

""No words""
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think 2 wrongs ever make a right, and anyway, the killer needs to stay alive so he can suffer the consequences for his actions! Also, if you find yourself dealing with something like this, it's probably because one of the goals your soul's set for you in this incarnation is to master complete forgiveness, which in my opinion, would be one of the hardest lessons we have to learn to gain enlightenment. I think someone faced with this, would be near the end of their reincarnations, and I think that if you were to get consumed with anger and revenge, you would fail your lesson and have to go through the same hell in the next life, and the next until you got it right.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 34yrs • M •
LoneByrd is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
It depends on what you consider right and wrong. Personally I find revenge to be a just thing, but I don't think society would agree with me

"Reality hits hard. Your perception hits it even harder."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If I am answering the question can revenge ever be justified? I believe that Revenge is probably always justified. If some one does something to you the natural reaction is to do something back. I personally think that revenge is morally wrong and I do not advocate it. If you seek revenge you are no better than person who has committed the offence. There is no reason to stoop to their level. Revenge perpetuates more revenge in a vicious circle and it serves no purpose.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Justified is legally defined as to show a satisfactory reason or excuse for something done

Legally you can murder someone if you have a justified self defense case. As well you can legally murder someone if you are insane and can prove that you could not justify your actions.

Morally it is a different story. Everyone has different moral standards. Some people will murder people for money. Others would not murder even in the case of self defense. Personally I would agree with the legality definition. That you can not justify murdering someone unless you were insane or it was a case of self defense.

As for other issues of revenge I think it is really important to stand up for yourself. Honestly do not take shit from anyone including your boss. Your boss tells you to work Saturday and you do not want to work Saturday I suggest you tell him/her no. People respect people that defend themselves and are not afraid to say no. If your boss is a really big asshole and he/she says you have to show up Saturday or you are fired. Show up that Saturday go find another job and then tell him/her off when you get a new job

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In direct answer to the original thread question on revenge...

Yes... sorry to those who are familar with me for being somewhat predictable... however revenge is logical closure to me...

Revenge was even researched and reported on 60 minutes to have the identical chemical composition to the chemicals for love...

just thinking of it...

It can be drawn out and complex and generations long or direct and short ... either way it's the logical thing if it can be accomplished without fail...

Failure would be constituted by your own demise or damage...

Life is full of natural competition... competition is natural...

Would It not have been therapy for my younger cousin to know that his molestor was dead with a hole in his head and could never hurt him again... justice...

That cousin is now a lawyer... and though what would have happened during his youth would have been Jamaican justice by an older way of eye for an eye...

It "would" have provided complete closure for him eliminating the need for therapy and recuring nightmares of boogey men... and post traumatic stress...

While his attacker would have gone on to molest again and again...

Of course there is no statute of limitations on murder so you read between the lines...

My well adjusted little cousin the lawyer graduated college 4 years ago...

If you want practicle solutions you have to be realistic... even wholistic... not politically correct all the time...

Peace.

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My 2 cents
Anger, hate, fear are primitive emotions. Being human means allowing ourselves to feel these. However, acting on them means lowering our standards as a human being.

I have a fiancé, sister, mother and father are still with me. I could imagine a situation where all these and more are torn from my life for unjustifiable reasons in ways far beyond human.

Seeking revenge would be a goal of mine, but more so removing that behavior from society. Who ever did this will probably do it again to someone else. In the process, should they truly change, truly regret there actions and change there ways, they are no longer the same and can therefore benefit society as a whole. This would be fore the greater good beyond my own selfish intentions.

An eye for an eye, tooth for tooth seems fair and just, however may inhibit the group.

On the same note, I do agree if you are able, defend your self and those you love. Allowing harm to loved ones who are doing society good benefits no one. So I do agree that anyone threatening loved ones should be dealt with maximum force available. For they have no right to do so.

Think big picture, think greater good.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 66yrs • F •
abbyinokc is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Anyone who is imminently about to cause, or who has already caused suffering and sorrow, may have, or should have, at least that much joy and contentment taken from him/her. There is no reason to allow someone to experience joy of any sort who has robbed an innocent person of the ability to have joy of any sort.

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
In avenging whatever wrong done to you, you make yourself as bad as the wrong-doer.

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 33yrs • M •
UllaJensen is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"Yes... sorry to those who are familar with me for being somewhat predictable... however revenge is logical closure to me... "

I also think that revenge are okay, why deny yourself the pleasure of feeling righteous.

You might want to argue that it's morally wrong or something, but I don't give that much merit.. since I can only be sure of what is right for me at any given moment, ever what is right for others.

38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The law is revenge except that it is meted out to extend suffering of the perpetrator for tens of years instead of one quick burst of pain in an eye-for-an-eye killing.

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that A Kindred Heart is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think revenge doesn't solve anything. we should try to solve the problems with love and understanding, not hatred

"Love, love is in the air, and I am breathing it all in."
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy