Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Can someone disprove this logic?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
Gamb1t is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If god is almeighty then he must have the power to do anything he would ever want. And also it would mean that he is all knowing of the past, present and the future. But then I come across these problems:

Can god build a wall that he would never be able to tear down? If so then he can't do everything then he must not be almeighty. And if he can't, then he can't do everything and thus can't be almeighty
If god is all knowing then he knows the past future present and all the rest. Then he must know what he will do in the future, so that would mean all of god's actions are predetermined, and he is a slave to fate.

"We\\\'ll all float on"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that syrcadalena is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If god is all powerful, perhaps he has the ability to limit his powers for an amount of time. He would be able to build the wall, and then make himself unable to tear it down. Then he'd be able to enable himself to tear it down if he wanted to.

If God is both omniscient and omnipotent, he should be able to know what he is going to do but be able to change his future decisions. Or something. I dunno.

"For each time mankind progresses, man himself regresses."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it cant be just "for a time" ... its the concept of having something that is unbreakable by definition, and yet somehow be able to break it.

its like if Juggernaught encountered The Blob. if something is "unstoppable" and it encounters something that is "immovable" then what happens?

if God exsists, then all things are possible.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Paradoxes and contradictions is where this leads.

Does the all powerful have the power to limit its power? By being all powerful this power must be included, however, if any power is ever diminished then it is not all powerful.

A mystery wrapped in an enigma and all that.

Here's and interesting way to ask it.

Can God make himself not God?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ha. That is an interesting question.

I dont really believe/feel/think that we could map out "God's ways" by applying what we know.

I think the reason we've stumbled across paradox and the irony...is because these are the results of infinity.

The answer you get to a question posed-which the answer sufficient enough for our paths of "logic..and reasoning"..is the very question stated.

Can God make himself.."not god?".-Well if he can, than it is possible for God not to exist. Given the question, he must exist to become.."no god". But once your question plays out-(as in you recieve some kind of an answer)-your question is void. In god becoming no god... than god does not exist. You can never ask this question again in hope of an answer..

You see, we dont know the answer to these questions.-so we get stuck with these paradox and irony situations. Logic is flawless.

Can God make himself not God?- Only if he existed..and than didnt exist.

around and around it we go. If there was an answer, there would be no question.-

For there would be no God.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God can do anything. That doesn't mean He always does everything. How narrow minded it is to think that God must always exert full power with every move. The question in and of itself is a mockery of God so why should He dignify it with a response?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
understand how nature works and you will understand how god works?

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
You're thinking inside the box. What if mankind simply cannot fully understand God?

41yrs • M •
I have said this before but I will repeat it:
Can god make a boulder so bifg he cannot lift it above his head?
Is God the boulder?

I liken it to the blind men touching the white elephant...the all touch bits and all colloberate together but never do they see the whiteness and probably rarely will they touch everywhere (the insides for example).

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
The real question is can man outsmart God? The answer is simply no. If God made a boulder that He could not lift then we would fry our brains trying to understand it, because a lot of the things of God are far beyond our comprehension.

41yrs • M •
We may step outside the box and then rationality no longer exists because you are very much on your own.

Socrates once said something like I am just a ball of energy in space. For all we know everything relative to us could be imagined. We could be alone. Everything could be an extension of ourselves. I do not like this idea but who is to disprove it?

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
People accept the idea of being connected to nothingness but they will violently oppose the idea that there is a God in control.

41yrs • M •
Actually ethereal I think for most people, deep down, it is actually the opposite..it is human nature to replace all the unknowns where fear so often dwels with a comfort that can suffice such as God. This is not to say God does not exist...but rather a theory which does have some weight introspectively.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
People have a need for comfort but their comfort lies mostly in things that they can control so they make up gods or theories to believe in so that they have the illusion of controlling their lives.

41yrs • M •
Have you ever watched a horror film when you were a small child?

The films channels your thought to go into unkowns...places which are dark.

The child born into Christstianity says God will be by my side so I shall be ok for he is greater than that which could affect me.

The child born without religion wonders on their own and so without the guide the only thing to help them out is their individual stength of character.

If the child watches a nice movie however they accept it and rejoice in it for it makes them smile and happy irrespective of belief.

The first reaction to the unkown is fear. Therefore the first principle of human reaction is rejection of pain. The second human emotion is the accetence of pleasure. It is I feel, in this order.

Think about jumping out of a plane for the first time: fear comes first and possibly pleasure later....the thing that overcomes that fear is trust and faith.

""No words""
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy