Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why Question God's Existence

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personally i'm a little sick of people wondering and arguing about the existence of god. Does it really matter? If you really did find out there was no god would you change the way you act? Personally i wouldn't change because i do good because i want to do good not because some invisible man in the sky tells me if i don't i'll go to some fiery burning place of agany.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that the awful noise is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
exactly. im not sure what the whole great search is about either. if we one day do find the answer from that will spring a million other questions, especially about the validity of the bible. so the search is a step towards madness if you ask me

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is a valid question but one which goes back to why we ask why.

'Curiosity killed the cat' is a quote I passionately dislike. It is a motive for lame, ignorant people to bring up more lame, ignorant people.

As for the consequences well this is like a game: thes takes are high and it could be boom or bust. I think it is a question of whether or not truth should be supressed sometimes for greater good.

Either way I think there comes a time to question whether God exists or not because there always seems to be a missing ingredient and there is a chance that there is a higher force, energy, power or what you will. For those seeking truth the question simply MUST be asked.

Questioning our existence is something that is just natural; you may supress it but it does not stop it being real......Some may have questioned Darwin when he started questioning this in relation to creationism. Some question whether Relativity did more harm than good. Some may one day question this generation's quest to find answers.

""No words""
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Like jacker jones said, What if every one found out that god doesnt exist? I would imagine they would make countless excuses and have an attitude towards this striking truth...

Kinda like someone telling you "I told you so" And you getting mad because you were wrong.

I personally have no reason to believe that god exists. This may be my lack of knowledge in more complex scientific fields that i have not yet looked into and/or vauge ideas i have about religion...
I just have random thoughts that i wish to share

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The important aspect of the query as I see it is that too many claim too many things they cannot know, then too many of these people try to force their "beliefs" upon others, or judge others based upon them, creating monumental clashes including social exclusiveness, fanaticism, and even extremism. Not to mention idealogical wars throughout history including up to this very day.

From my standpoint when ever asking such a question, the relevance is not so much the existance of God, but usually the dogmas and "belief" systems developed around one's or a groups perception of a God.

Some are so hopelessly dependant upon and deluded by their beliefs that they would gladly watch you and your family burn for even questioning God's existance, and I'm not talking about Muslims either, though they are included.

This alone is for me a good enough reason to at least ask what we truly know about any existing God, and the more important point, what this God demands, desires, or simply designs in terms of our existance and ways of life.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
gotta agree with leftwood there. gods existence is brought into question because of the weight that some people put on it. for a lot of people it would not affect their behaviour, because they are good moral people. but like leftwood said, as there are wars and people do try to force their beliefs on others, those who are on the other side, whenever someone tells you a new thing, until you see absolute proof, it is human nautre to wonder whether or not the thing is true. ill give a slightly daft example. think back to when you were a child, when one of your friends told you how sex worked (in a hushed whisper at the back of a school assembly, followed by a giggle) did you believe them immediately? i didnt, and most people i know didnt (i think one of my friends still has trouble accepting the idea that anyone would want to try it). it took a while, until you asked mum and dad, and about it and they went pink and said yes dear. then later on, you saw proof.
it is human nature to wonder.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Einstein

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 38yrs • M •
huyties is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Why question God's existence??

We have always had a thirst for knowledge. If we didn't then how else would millions of us be linked together on something called the world wide web. Its just some people's thirst are for science and technology, some are in sports, some are in family, God, friends. whatever it is. But the ones question God's existence are just the ones who have a thirst for the truth. Thats why we ask questions... Knowledge is power!

48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If God is not real then those of us that believe in God have lost nothing but 'worshipped' something that isnt real.

But if God is real then those that dont believe have lost out for all eternity.

I think the question is well worth asking.

"What we do in life echos in eternity" - Maximus (Gladiator)

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Again...

I do not think this has answeredthe nature of absolute reality but read:

This book:

http://www.godpart.com/html/the_premise.html

Simply fsascinating!

""No words""
 46yrs • M
quote:
But if God is real then those that dont believe have lost out for all eternity.

That's of course assuming God is a vindictive asshole.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well from what the bible says, he does appear to have that streak. its does say that all those who dont believe in him will go to hell, unless they have never ha the chance to know him, even then they prob have to spend some time in purgatory. but its true, there is no harm in asking whether or not gods exists, and we will always want to know, but probably never will.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree that it shouldn't matter who's "right" and who's "wrong" about the existance of a higher being. And for that matter, if one religion out of millions is somehow proven to be real, wouldn't that contradict everything that religion stands for? After all, faith isn't just a word without a meaning.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
That's of course assuming God is a vindictive asshole.

If you had a child and told him or her that they must not take a cookie from the cookie jar lest they get a spanking. Would you be a vindictive asshole for keeping your word and spanking the disobedient child?

quote:
even then they prob have to spend some time in purgatory

Where in the Bible does it talk of purgatory?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 46yrs • M
quote:
If you had a child and told him or her that they must not take a cookie from the cookie jar lest they get a spanking. Would you be a vindictive asshole for keeping your word and spanking the disobedient child?

Only if the alleged telling occured allegedly thousands of years in the past, handed down and siphoned through generations of the greed, lies, and manipulations this alleged message so miserably fails to subvert only to be finally told by humans who you cannot ever know if they are lying or not.

Would you recieve a spanking for calling your parents liars when they tell you Santa and the Easter bunny aren't real, or just for questioning them if Jesus and their equally claimed and unaccountable God is?

If you are going to make an analogy, proper context would be helpful, perhaps then you would not have needed to ask.

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy