Don't believe your eyes, don't believe your ears, don't believe anything that you are, were, or think you will be. For if you do, you shall sure fall into my trap, and I shall kill you slowly under these illusions. - Aubrey Asylum
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is God? - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

quote:
Is God the boulder?

u seem like an intelliegent person heyjme.

FIrst of all, in a sense, yes, we
did create 'God', in the sense that even now, we refuse to acknowledge that he may beyond conventional reasoning, and so try to potray him as 'one of us', as a thinking, feeling seperate entity=man up there with a beard.

If you look at all religions of the world, Hinduisim, Christianity, Islam, Buddhisim,Sikhisim, even the tribal religions of Africa, their innermost teaching is the same = Spirituality. In it's essence, all religions point to the same thing, that you are not seperate from God, and God is not seperate from you. why, because existance is God, even 'non existance' is God. You can call it the unmanifestated, ur being, who you truly are-that is God, and that is present in each and everyone of us.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Damn I wrote this then sent it and I'd been logged out!

Okay in shortened form!

Right I have read the Bible in parts...not all but I sense that it doesnt actually say God is a man with a beard but someone spiritual. It does suggest some form of 'humanisation' like when the devil vistied Jesus in a cave...but I could be wrong here...I dont want to get into technicalities. Buddhism is similar but doesnt imply any humanistaion just expresses good as a form of energy is how I sense it was meant. All interpretation but I sense energy understanding is the new frontier....not just kinetic but a deeper more broad understanding.

Now some people see things and go wow that was awesome..others say..so what...thats them reacting. But if u want truth either it is all amazing or its all just part of a course...I dont see you can lie in the middle on this one....and this is why..

Someone told me this story and its one of my favourites:

Ok imagine a guy in 2 dimensions...u look at him side on. Okay now all he sees is length and width. He does not see any depth....so he cannot understand up and down. Okay then this massive sphere starts to fall from up above...But he doesnt see it at first becuase he doesnt see up and down.

Now imagine there is a plane coming from his face that goes all the way in front of him and all the way to the sides of him. When the sphere first touches this it makes a dot. Wow he says..a miracle!! there appears mass in front of me...something has been created out of nothing. Then as the sphere drops he sees this big spread coming towards him. It gets to the diamter of the sphere and its as big as it can get then it falls to a tiny dot and then dissappears. Wow he says...now its gone...its dissappeared!

Now my point is We can see in 3d so anything that is beyond our limits....i.e. more dimensions to us just doesnt make sense. If God does exist then he exists in more dimensions than we know of: hence God moves in mysterious ways! If we were God...lets pretend the picture would be very clear...but we are not so its like looking at a picture with ur nose right up against it and trying to see little snippets...little clues and piece them together.

Anyway my point is lets go with energy and lets broaden, deepen and why not lengthen our understanding of whats out there?

And stop being stubborn! lol

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
all monotheistic faiths give god no for... the person interprets the writings and decides on a form that best suits that person

in all polytheistic fiaths (such as budhism and hinduism) , all gods are given a form. 6 arms blah blah blah, dont wanna go into details... go google Brahma Vishnu and Shiva for hinduism if you want proof of a form.

41yrs • M •
Yeah my statement was wrong. I'll look more into Hinduism...dont know too much about it. Think what I meant is that Buddism allows people to have the values, the judgements, whereas Christianity is more inclined for that to be the place of God.

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
that's false too...

all religions tell people what their values should be, and they are all almost the exact same thing.

basically the 10 commandments. nothing is left up to god, because we created god... therefore we create all that god stands for so god can't give us our values because that is us giving ourselves our values... if you can follow that

41yrs • M •
If I had to choose between wisdom and creativity I'd choose the latter everytime.

The religion tells the values. But does the God dictate the values. To clarify my point better I looked this up and found this on Wikpedia encyclopedia on Buddhism:

'While Buddhism does not deny the existence of supernatural beings (indeed, many are discussed in Buddhist scripture), it does not ascribe power for creation, salvation or judgement to them.'

In the Bible it says God will judge (on judgement day).

Thats my interpretation of difference between Christianity and Buddhism.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the only set definition ive ever heard for god is that he is beyond anything we can imagine, so basically in the 5th or 6th dimesnion.

but as for the actual existence of god there seem to be 3 schools of thought, he could exist purely for his own amusement (buddhist), he could be the supreme creator and judge (most other religions), or he could not exist (atheism). My school of thought varies, all of the given vaules from religion exist in atheism, so i tend to think that god either created the world then wandered off to do something else afterwards, or he doesnt exist. i think it is plausible that there may be a supreme being as a creator, but i fail to see any real evidence of a caring supreme being in the world, it seems to be ruled by human nature. the only actions that could possibly be attributed to some supreme being are the cruel twists of fate that occur, the way that there is always something irritating going on that you cannot control, the way that there are always problems but not always solutions.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 38yrs • M •
huyties is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
People in general are not cynical and just flow with everyone else because of the need for belonging and acceptance. A group of people talking could have conjurred up "God" to give comfort to people in poor times. God was a symbol for people who were desperate and needed something to motivate their lives. As time went on, the idea caught on because everyone wanted to believe that something is out there because everyone wants a good life. And because man is greedy he created churchs and the Bible. Thats all church is nowadays isn't it? You go listen to someone who was taught to help people believe there is a meanin to life and then give offering and go home. How come some of the most nicest places on earth are churches, synagogues, or religious destinations. SO this idea says that God was created by man.

If the Bible is true in all of its Glory and only Adam and Eve existed then how aren't they brother and sister from God so therefore we are all brothers and sisters but doesn't the bible prohibit incest? But God "created" them. What is the difference between created and born?

35yrs • M •
There was this episode of star trek on the other night (no im not a trekky nerd, i was bored) in which there was a primitive race, one of the people then stumbled onto an advanced outpost set up by Jean Luke Picard, he got hurt, thought he was dead, then awoke, say picard and heard him say his name, then fell back asleep and awoke hours later. He then thought and told the other people that he was dead and picard was a "god" figure.

This could be similar to how religion started. Suppose back in the day, when people didnt know what weed or drugs like that did to alter your state of mind, people threw it onto a fire and they then got high... or they got drunk for the first time, hallucinated and thought they were dead, then woke up later and thought they were brought back to life... they then thought that there must be a supreme being to do that!

or something along those lines.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that renae02 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Try going to church ask him those things.. maybe he will anwser..

"forget the game before somone takes u out of the frame and puts ur name to frame u can't run a race the pace is to fast u just won't last.. Linkin Park points of aurthority"
 36yrs • M •
that would be the ultimate upset for religious leadrs accross the world, if their religion had started due to some guy getting high on something, and seeing "visions" which were in fact drug fueled halucinations.
I get the feeling we might get yelled at by etheral in a moment

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M •
haha cynic... but really think about it.

people had no idea what stuff did to them... it is very plausable that something altered their state of mind and caused the god figure to be created.

P.S. have you ever noticed that there is no god when someone close to your dies? but whenever you have love, money, and food, there is a god... make up your damn mind people, either there is or isnt, lets not be john kerry on the subject.

41yrs • M •
If you ar atheistic down to the bone the answer to this question is simple: God is nothing because it is nothing. I can see an argument for this on the lines of God is a concept by which we measure our pain (which is a Lenon song i think).

This is not a belief that theists have...or may I say some of them! For there are different views of God...some where God does not have any place with regards human emotions or others hold that specific events are so small in a grand scheme. People react when events hit them and those things close to them and become blinded to the larger picture of truth.

They might be wrong but there is certainly more to think about if they are right. If there is to be any consensus, some agreement, some common thread it must at least be sought before anything can progress qiuckly and without war or such 'Malthusian checks'. Hence the seeking of a definition here. Cynicism or dogma should not stand in the way of criricism which is not so blinded within itself.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
sorry lastresort, i didnt mean to sound sarcastic, but it just comes naturally to me. i was actually agreeing with you, the only semi unserious bit was the bit about getting yelled at by etheral.

it is very likely that no living person will ever truly know if god exists, hence religion also being called a "faith" or "belief". i'm not atheistic to the bone, im not really atheistic at all really. i recognise the bit about what your saying, the grand scheme of thing arguement. but im sure ive heard it said that god doesnt care more if a planet dies than if one ant dies, he has the same compassion for all things. though having just read what ive written it occurs to me that it could just be he doesnt care about either

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
it is very likely that no living person will ever truly know if god exists

I know with complete certainty that God does exist and as I have mentioned in other posts it is not a matter of what people have told me it is a matter of experience. People don't become Christians because of their faith; a person becomes a Christian once they determine God's existence is real. If God didn't exist there would be no religion at all. Not simply a lack of Christianity but no other religion could possibly exist without God.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
What is God? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy