Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

STAR WARS New Series or Classic

User Thread
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Now that all 6 Star Wars films are out which film and series do you feel is the best.

For me there is no better series of movies than the origional three Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Man the story in those three are so compelling. There is mystery and wonder to be found in these films.

I found the new films to have some elements of this and as well they were visually way better but really lacking story wise there still decent films but pale in comparison to the first three.

The movie Star Wars inspired so much in our culture and especially cinema and the entire genre of science fiction. Can you think of any other film that so compelled us and changed us? Even if your not a fan youve got to admit it has had such an incredible impact.

So tell us you favorite series / film / character / scene / quote-
tell us what you loved and hated about the films and why.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My favorite and most memorable moments from all the films were...

Geez, I guess most of the sad stuff now that I think about it, yoda's death (even him losing to palpatine ), Obi wans death, Vader's death, Rancor's death hehe, Anakin's mom's death, jesus this is depressing, Qui Gon's death, these were some of the most memorable I guess.

But my absolute favorite and most memorable moment is the final fight of Luke and Vader.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
take out the pod racing, the overkill on yoda whooping ass, jarr jarr binks, anakin as a little kid saving the day, and all the other nauseating bullshit and add some decent lines and better acting and you have a trilogy to rival the first.

i thought the new movies were alright, but let's face facts: if it wasn't for the first trilogy, these movies wouldn't have drawn huge crowds.

lucas' main problem was that he got greedy. instead of trying to appeal to such a general movie audience, he should have been bolder and attempted to tell a decent and convincing story. take lotr. these movies were awesome because peter jackson was faithful to the tolkien audience and didn't ride his popularity to make a buck by throwing in a lot of unnecessary extra shit.

all lucas had to do was use the star wars name to make a killing. had he actually taken some time working on the acting (except for ewin mcgregor, who played a supurb obi wan) and script instead of devoting all his energy to the special effects, this could have been a genuinely great series of movies. as it stands, i'd say it's decent but forgettable.

"You are reading this."
 46yrs • M
I agree mostly, but I disagree about LOTR. It had the same built in fan base, but from the books and old cartoon movies, it never would have done as well either and frankly I didn't care for them, I thought both these series were lacking. Might as well throw in the Harry potter, Blade (3 sucked, except for the funny guy and looking at Jessica Biel), and Matrix series too, minus 1 of course.

And Palpatine was well acted too, to add to Obi Wan.

What I would like to ask ol' George is, how and why he managed to find the two whiniest, possibly gay, male actors to play his leads. I just don't get it, then half of the whining was probably written in too.

I think CGI abuse is a problem too, though some of it looks cool, as long as we know its fake and can see it, its gonna kill our ability to be immersed.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
nothing beats the original star wars. my second favorite is ROTS though, followed by ROTJ then Empire, AOTC and finally the piece of crap phantom menace (which really isnt a piece of crap at all).

nobody knows what lucas was thinking when he came up with jar jar, but he simply missed his mark with that character. he was meant to be funny and ended up being annoying as hell.

top fights -
3. Darth Maul Vs Obi Wan and Qui Gon
2. Darth Vader Vs Luke
1. Anakin Vs Obi Wan

all six have poor acting, all six rely heavily on special effects. i think the last three arent as good in many peoples eyes partly due to lucas' reliance on CGI. most of the effects could have been done much more creatively without the use of CGI.

get rid of jarr jarr, make every fight as stylized as the Darth Maul fight and use less CGI and you have a trilogy vastly superior to the original in every way.

i want to see a third trilogy that blends the comedy and light heartedness of the first trilogy with the action and intensity of the second trilogy.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i definitely agree about the the darth maul fight in episode one. this for me was the best lightsaber battle of the series.

"You are reading this."
 46yrs • M
I think it became popular to dislike JarJar because he represented the wrong direction, or the overdo, but that he wasn't as bad as people tend to say, after watching it again.

I never liked Darth Maul, cept for his Sabre of course, I could just hear Keanu, "Whoa". One reason is the random new bad guys with no relevant history. Apprentices became like pez candy, dispensible and expendable, which didn't make sense because at least with the Jedi, they train these ppl from basically birth, just to die in their first movie. Another reason is he looked chumpish to me, painted face, cheap glued on horns, and obvious martial artist which took me out of the Star Wars universe because it looked like so many show competitions I see. That and he was too scrawny, but that just irked me for some reason, he didn't deserve to kill Qui Gon who was much cooler IMO, especially just to die 10 seconds later as though he suddenly forgot how to fight. But again, thats just me.

I loved the concept of the whole story, especially now that I understand more about politics seeing as that is half the new series, far more than in the original.

I too was baffled by Jackson and Portman's suddenly not so up to snuff acting, though that is replying to another post in another thread, hehe. And so agree that George just must not be the best director, just a good visionary

I think another reason Star Wars still does well is because it is so tragic and emotional, with great heroes and villains that were well conceptualized, enough so to create many Iconic characters, Han Solo, Chewbacca, R2, C3P0, Vader, Emperor, Boba Fett, Yoda, Jawas, Sand People, Jabba the Hut, Obi Wan. Some of the creatures are pretty memorable too, I love the sand pit thing, though it scared the crap out of me.

46yrs • M
Maybe this better explains George's flaw.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/238514

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i like the transition effects, it gives the movies a feel that is seperate to other movies.

i actually didnt know what peoples problem was with ole jar jar when it first came out. but when you watch them all collectively, you just want him to go away so you can get to the good stuff and you notice that he really isnt funny. i also dont like C3POs stupid puns in AOTC. there is nothing nearly that terrible in the old ones.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ambition is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jar Jar is a character for the kids, he annoys me but i can see why he's there, kids like him. I like 3PO's puns! it wouldn't be funney if he actually knew he was making them, but i think they're good. Old trilogy is deffinately better everyone hates phantom menace and yet everyone agrees that the Maul fight is the best in the sage, so at least it has that going for it which makes it watchable.

I think the new trilogy should have started with attack of the clones, then another one (where Grievous had a big part maybe?) then 'revenge'. My favourite moment is probably

"I'm not afraid!"
"You will be... you, will, be."

"Lifes battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man but in the end the man who wins is the man who thinks he can"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy