Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we exist? - Page 3

User Thread
 74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Humanbean is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My personal Bible is short.
Here it is:

IT IS. DIG IT. Amen.

But for purposes here, I'll elaborate a bit.

In the begining, there is nothing.

No space. No Matter. No energy.

Nothing is God. God is everything.

No energy is actually a balanced state of infinite energy.

An simple parallel would be: +1 & -1 = 0 or +inf & -inf = 0

This God energy has properties of its own.

These properties are not within the confines our the physics, that we have become familiar with, but there are probably some universal similarities.

And so the God energy has its flow and variation all within dimensionless unity. (Space and time does not exist.)

Now at this point, there are 2 choices of thought.

1. The God energy has an intelligence and control over itself.

2. The God energy has no intelligence and is random.

This will make a difference, to some, in the later aspects of this post. (Personally, I don't think that it really matters.)

Part of the physics of God energy involves this flow and variation that I've mentioned. At a certain point an "energy of activation" (a parallel of a chemical reaction process) is exceded.

When this occurs, it creates what we could call a "Bang".

A Bang will create a "Bubble" of Space and a "Bubble" of "Anti-space" .

These Bubbles will exist for some period of "Time" and contain precursors of matter and anti-matter respectively.

Time and Space and Dimension exist within these bubbles.

Time of existence of a Bubble can be extremely short but if the Bang is Big enough, the Bubble can exist long enough for the developement of a "Universe".

(I won't talk about the Time that takes us from the "Big Bang" to our current state of being, as the "History" of our universe is not the immediate concern of this post.)

(I will also save the details of my "Bubble" theory of the finite universe for another time.)

So there you have it. That's why we exist.

So, IF the God energy has an intellegence and contol over itself, then you can think of things in this manner;

God, even though omnipotent, was bored out of his mind. So He creates universes so that he can have enjoyment.

(A parallel would be parents that live vicariously through their children's activities.)

All the universe is part of God. As it developes, He experiences it all.

Time and Space is not a barrier to God. He is everywhere.

The developement of the universe affects us and every little choice that we make affects the further developement of the universe to some degree.

There is reason for religion and prayer.

What IF the God energy is just randon and not contolled by any sort of intelligence?

We are all still part of the same unity. The developement of the universe still affects us the same and each of our choices still affect the further developement of the universe.

So the difference (if there really are any) comes down to choices of right and wrong.

If we are not trying to please God, then what is right and wrong?

For me, the answer is survival.

(I won't elaborate in this post but just a basic thought follows.)

Not just for the individual but the species. And one must understand how we are all part of the same God energy to make the correct choices for survival even if that energy is just random.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think we live life, to learn how to pass that life on.

What I mean by that is, it takes years to understand the abstract metaphors of the universe, and solidify them into a clear and vivid image.. that's if it is trying to be discovered personally.

It's funny that I've been into the philosophy of religion lately... I've been having a lot of "what if" ideas, like - MAybe Our Creator's purpose for us is a test to see if we can match or even surpass him in being the creator, or will we all give up and crawl back to him under his command. He is a very old individual, Maybe he's just trying to create a design who can carry on his trade and retire.... perhaps we're that design. We can only take on this job, if we're all willing to accept the epic responsibility of becoming such a being.

We're coming to the point in science and technology where we might one day be able to accomplish this goal - you can see this phenomena through computers and machines - we're going to reach a level to where nanotechnology will take on the form of singular molecules mimicking basic building blocks for life.

The beauty in this design is that we can improve life based off of our very own, just like it has been done for us. If technology does go so far, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this new form of life externally, or even internally.
*leave no traces of a higher being's presence ;D*

Our purpose in this day and age may seem nonexistent, because I think we're all looking in the wrong direction

If we could only turn our heads slightly, our perception of what we're meant to do, and where we're supposed to go, will become clear.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 34yrs • F •
Eka is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
makes no sence philosophically to ask what is the purpose of existance. existance precedes purpose. its meaning is its identity

32yrs • F •
chris-tell3641 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
why do we exist? that's a very good question.
my opinion:
we exist to try and actually figure out why we exist.
i believe we all exist for a different reason. we live life trying to answer it.

why do you think you exist?
do you know yet?...

"chris-tell3641"
 36yrs • F •
passion4poetry is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I can't help but wonder myself why are we here if we exist merely to pass on life why it it that are most basic animalistic instincts are to destroy and conquer I can't help but feel like I live in a world were nothing matters every ones out for there own personal gain chasing money chasing power chasing land and women I can't help but wonder what he point of it all is to me it's like being in high school once you graduate is anyone really going to care that you were prom queen or that you had the most friends doubt so when you die assuming there is a god do you really think he's going to give a fuck wither you drove a Lamborghini or a Honda civic or wither you died with 50 cents in your pocket or a billion in the bank no which leads me to my next point while that last thought was depression in it self I can't help but wonder if religion was created simply to give purpose and meaning to everyone lives because god forbid the truth were to come out and people might actually have to face the fact that there is nothing after death no saintly reward for going to Church on Sunday no godly pats on the back for being a good mom no white lights just nothingness but people are far to egotistical to believe something like this especially when it so much easier to believe in fairy tales so maybe that's why we exist to destroy conquer become rich and spend hours pondering our own creation

"Never underestimate the power of words"
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ParallelShabba is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We exist to die

A lifecycle among worms

"If you try to fix violence with violence you do nothing but create violence"
 31yrs • M •
Forseti is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Personally, I don't believe we exist for a reason, there is no ''God'' or 'Higher power'' which watches over us.

It may be a narrow-minded or depressing to see things that way, see life as nothing more than an accident, a chance happening, but that is the way I see it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be transported to some Utopia after I die to spend eternity with my nearest and dearest. But I just do not believe that will happen.

''You only go round once'' is a saying I often hear. For me, this is something you must take to heart and embrace. I enjoy pondering questions such as this, discussing the infinite and incomprehensible conclusions which can be reached, but when it is all said and done, you must grab life by the horns.

That is why I disagree with Religion. Your life is yours to do with what you wish. Wether that be good or bad. Free will is a wonderful thing, but can you truly have free will if you have a ''destiny'', a meaning to your life? If your life is pre-planned (be it through ''destiny'', ''God'', or a meaning to your life), then you may as well sit at home all day, as it will not affect your path in life.

Apologies, I went off on a little of a religious tangent, but personally I think the two subjects (meaning of life and religion) are intertwined so you cannot fully discuss one without discussing the other.

(On another subject, Hi to everyone on this forum. Been reading for a few days with great interest, and I decided to sign up.)

"''Before you know the world, you must know yourself''"
 33yrs • M •
brooky is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
We are here because Nature/ The Power wants us here. No god could of put us here physically. We, were not put here, we have evolved. Why is anything here? Because it is. That is the only reason, no one knows the truth *yet* and we could be gone in a few thousand years.

"Controls are limits, so LOSE CONTROL!"
 32yrs • M •
jacisc0416 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everything about these stupid god damn questions on this stupid forum embarass me and degrade the common view of a fresh generation on the whole.

The point to the topic of your question is literally to question; if you are looking for a direct answer, my friend, I have the perfect place for you: church.

"Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the existence of humans is interesting in that it is the only species on Earth that would be intelligent enough to actually ponder why we exist.

If one were to look at earth similar to how we look into a world through a microscope it would become apparently obvious that human beings are an advanced form of bacteria. From that notion a human being must either choose to exist or to not exist. There is no why we exist because the only other notion would be to not exist. Why is a selection of a choice from an availability of options. Why do I watch southpark, there was a list of shows to watch and I have selected southpark because of my choices the best option for me was southpark. The very reason why we exist is to avoid not existing the only other viable option.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 69yrs • M •
Wagggggy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If we exist solely to not not exist, then why bother existing in the first place?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why we exist is that it is the only other option than not existing. I guess those who do not exist get chosen to exist by those that already exist. Those who exist choose to make another exist from something that doesn't exist. But, once something consciously exists than it has the choice to exist or to not exist thus fulfilling the question of why we exist, to avoid the non existent.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BethewateR is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depends on who you are these days, if your religious then the point of life is for it to end now or on root to the appocalypse. It's easy to find religous nuts on youtube go on and on about how no one should give a fuck about the environment or the world because armaggedon is a commin'. They talk of nothing about death and what pieces of shit they are (there inclination that we are all filthy sinners) and how they are unworthy of god or allahs love, this is the majority of the world mind you excluding hindus and budists. Then there are the intellegent people who realize that there have been a long succsession of religions on this planet, heck the aztecs needed to rip out a human heart or to so the sun would rise ect. ect. greece blah blah the reasons are to numerous to count. They know we are here for no reason at all, and no it wasn't an accident like some moron suggested, it was chance. (read on the creation of stars numb nuts) There really is no point to anything in this life but there is much fun to be had, and thanks to religous zealots and megolomaniacs throughout time it has been more pain then pleasure you know unless you live in a developed country. This has been completely of topic I realize, but I would just like to say theres nothing worth dying over because weve basically made up everything. You name it we made it the fuck up, unless its in nature of course, but the way we see nature, through our language, as this is what we think in terms of.
Its all very frustrating but really there is no point to this life any of it. As for the reason, this planet is orbiting just far away and close enough to produce and sustain water, we just got the lucky planet, odds are theres another planet out there thats got life on it too. Random

"all you know is all you know"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BethewateR is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Oo and jacisc0416 can suck his on dick while getting ass raped by Ted Haggerd in a back alley behind some god hates america or god hates fags ralley lead by Fred Phelps.

"all you know is all you know"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wooly Bully is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
TO: zakary6
Last Login: 10:50 am - April 6, 2005

DATE OF POST (Topic Thread): Why Do We Exist?
10:42 am - April 6, 2005

Well, after all these years zakary6, your topic thread 'Why Do We Exist?' still causes, dare I say, an 'emotional' response in people.

I'm a Cynic, therefore I'm not concerned with people's 'emotions' – I prefer FACTS.

And speaking of facts....

FACT:
Human Breeders.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action: 238,753 global births (after deaths) 'per DAY'. That's insane!!!

But, you're (zakary6) asking an age-old question which has NO 'Known' answer. There is only conjecture.

Though I could offer you numerous theories (conjecture), I'd rather you allow me to present an idea that is befitting your inquisitiveness. I do so with the utmost 'Respect' and friendly intent.

Therefore, I request you read the following quotes. The ideas and wisdoms presented by these authors have proven valuable to me, and maybe you'll enjoy some of them.

You have my apologies in advance if you're offended by my forwardness of offering you other 'food for thought'.

I'll continue my statement at the end of the quotes.

'The Cynics are right nine times out of ten.'
- H. L. Mencken

'In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few.'
- Shunryu Suzuki

'Personally, I'm always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.'
- Winston Churchill

'Sit down before FACT as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses Nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.'
- Thomas Henry Huxley

'Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.'
- Leo Tolstoy

'Most people say/think...' – That's your point? How naïve, since most people are of limited intellect and undereducated.
- Albert Einstein

'The beginning of Wisdom is: Acquire wisdom, and with all your acquiring, get understanding.'
- Proverbs 4:7 (New American Standard Bible)

'All Truth passes through three stages. First, it's ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Then, with great fanfare, it is accepted as being self-evident.'
- Arthur Schopenhauer

WOOLY BULLY:

FACT:
Human Breeders.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action: 238,753 global births (after deaths) 'per DAY'. That's insane!!!

If you fail to 'properly research' VHEMT (this means hours, not minutes) – then the reality will be that you're doing a disservice to yourself, children, and Earth with its millions of creatures.

'Thank You' – zakary6 for allowing me to share an idea with you.

'May your path be straight, and your stumbles few.'

Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT)
(www.vhemt.org)

Welcome!
You can relate to VHEMT in one of three ways: Volunteer, Supporter, or Undecided.
(www.vhemt.org/join.htm)

VHEMT Volunteer:
'All of us should voluntarily refrain from reproducing further, thereby bringing about the eventual extinction of human beings.'

VHEMT Supporter:
'Intentional creation of one more of us by any of us is unjustifiable at this time. Extinction of the human species goes too far.'

Undecided:
'Stop trying to put words in my mouth. Maybe I'm a Volunteer, or maybe I'm a Supporter. I'd like to know more before I decide.'

'Quarrel not at all. No man resolved to make the most of himself, can spare time for personal contention. Still less can he afford to take all the consequences, including the vitiating of his temper, and the loss of self-control. Yield larger things to which you can show no more than equal right; and yield lesser ones, though clearly your own. Better give your path to a dog, than be bitten by him in contesting for the right. Even killing the dog would not cure the bite.'
- Abraham Lincoln

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself."
Why do we exist? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy