Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Appreciating what we have

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In one comic strip of the great Calvin and Hobbes, Hobbes asks (I'm paraphrasing) "If we never lost the great things in life, would we appreciate them?" This comes from the saying "You take something for granted until you lost it"? So what ye say?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think that's strictly true... I mean you can appreciate things before and without losing them but the idea is that if you lose them you're gonna miss them so you'll note that you had them and that you liked them but you don't have them anymore

As a comment.. I love Calvin & Hobbes

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, Calvin and Hobbes comics are great! God, I cracked up laughing when Calvin locked Rosalyn out of the house and made fun of her.

But I digress. What I'm trying to day here, can we appreciate something that has no opposite? Can you appreciate light if you've never known darkness? Can you appreciate always having food if you've never seen (not even the Chrisitan Fund commercials about starving children in Africa) what it's like not to have food in the fridge.

Fridge....icccccce-creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.....

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, we take most things fer granted, though not everything. Like a mother fer instance, though we may not fully appreciate her

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that for the better is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes i think you can appreciate things without losing them. but i think you do have to be aware that theyre 'loseable'. for ex. i appreciate my home. ive never lost it, but i am aware of homelessness. but as for never being exposed to not having something, then appreciation for that is unlikely.
if you always have food, ( and arent aware of starvation)
you may appreciate being fed ( caused by hunger )but the actual Level of appreciation will be different than if youve experienced starvation personally.
when youve lost something and have the oppurtunity to attain it again, your appreciation is at its max probably because you know exactly whats it like not to have it.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think once you loose something you realise how much you appreciated it in the past. So i think it's more just an opening of ones eyes to a joy in life.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy