No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly. - wesdawgy
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Too much deep thought. - Page 2

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As complicated we make life it is quite simple

i would rather live a painfull truth than a happy lie

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ARRRRGGGHHHHHH Man jus lost my post!!!

hmmmm, ok now I m angry at myself for being angry!lol
Yeah, it's like the question, 'this sentence is a lie'. If it's a lie, then it must be true, meaning its a lie! an infinite loop!

Well, actually the thing is that 'being angry at someone or something', and 'being angry with at yourself' are two different types of anger. Being angry at some one or something is dangerous and should be controlled, while being angry at ur self can make u learn, so it's not neccasarry that it be a never ending process
e.g, I get angry at someone for breaking my glass, and abuse him. l8tr I calm down and become angry at myself for my rude behaviour. U mustv'e been thinkin along the lines 'If I become angry at myself for becomeing angry at someone, then i must again become agry at my self for becoming angry at myself, and then I wud become agry at my self for...... !
But the thing, thez are to different types of angers, so no need to hit ur head with that jack hammer nymore!

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
Yes, cuz it has been people who think that has allowed everyone to live that 'happy lie'.
I m not sayin everyone shud become deep thinkers, nor should all deep thinkers become like the layman, it all just depends on who u r.

And Attollia, I know how u feel. Before I found this site, I was living in this lonely world(though I had lot's of freinds and was very popular at school), where I thought I was a misunderstood genius or sumtin. Now that seems like light years away!

Actually, I didn't know what the heck philosohpyetc was, all I remember iz that before goin to bed, I would lie an think fer bout an hour. Then once(When I wz 13) while lookin at the clock a thought suddenly struck me that time wasn't real. After a few moments I thought I had gotten too stupid, however, the next day I saw in the news paper a qupte of einsteind 'time is but an illusion', and that day I got to know my personality.
The real 'push' came when I accidently came across stpehan hawkings 'breif history of time'. But then even though I knew who I was, I still felt lonely and misunderstod, till this site came and there has been no lookin back since!

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, we definitely confuse ourselves. At least I do. I question something, then I question my question, then I question my second question, and it goes on. The cycle of thougt. I like that phrase.

Angel, there are days that I can not go to sleep becauase my mind is buzzing with thoughts. I didn't even though the meaning of philosphy. I just realized, on another day of self searching, that my hobby was not sports, chess, or braiding hair. I liked to think. Now if people ask you what you like to do, and you say, "Well, I like thinking," you'd get that strange look. Thinking isn't material; it's abstract.

Einstein has the greatest quotes and I believe in everything he says. That guy thought so much, he forgot to eat or wear proper clothing. I wish I could meet him.

I want to bring out all the deep thinkers. But how? How do I identify people like myself? Any ideas? I'm thinking about asking them a philosophical question at a random time. If the person gives a quick response, then he or she may not be a deep thinker. If he or she stops and thinks about it, he or she may be a deep thinker. But this wouldn't work either. Maybe the deep thinker is too busy thinking to answer my question. There are people who don't know that they are intellectuals, or people who know they are intellectuals but repress their thoughts or their desire to show themselves because "it's not cool to be smart". This happens to a lot of girls in high schools. Which is why high school suck. But lucky for me, I didn't care about being a girl.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
get them drunk. then ask them a bunch of serious questions. deep thinkers will respond very differently. thats the only way ive been able to identify them in the "real world" ... online people are more open about things.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
Too bad no one I know drinks. Which is a good thing.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
Well, u know, u have 2 actually be aware of subtle hints in people. For example, there was this one time, when on a trip I was playin around with my geeky room mate, he proclaimed that he wasn't afraid of death, cuz it was goin to come nyway.
Well, I didn't think much of it the, but l8tr I thought perhaps he has more to his intelligence then just memorizing the school books. So I took out my palmistry book, and saw that his hand matched with the 'philophical hand', in which it was written that 'you think about things that few people would care for, and u may not seem to socializ, but when amongst your own, you will freely talk...' or something like that. I then asked him if that was true, and he said rather relunctantly 'kinda'. I was intigued, so for an hour I kept aking him what did he mean when he said yes he was a deep thinker! He wud then ask me what did I think about, and I ofcourse was also relunctant! but finally I asked him wheather he thought about things such as what happened before the beegining of the universe, and he said yes, surprised! that night we spent the whole night talking philosophy! man that was the first and only face to face conversation I 've had on deep things!

So bottom line, wheather their hands match or not, u could try showing them a palmistry book(or u cud jus write sumthin like it by urself, sayin it's a fortune game or sumtin), and then askin them if the things applied to him\her too.

40yrs • M •
different mannerisms help with not only spotting deep thinkers, but also the idiots. ive gotten pretty good at it.... but its not a perfect science like alcohol seems to be.

35yrs • M •
U know, I think there is a difference between 'intelligence'(or common sense) and 'genius'. I mean, a kid could be brilliant in maths but thinks that killing innocent people for the sake of religion is right, may be a genius to some extent but definately not intelligent. True intelligence is a combination of genius and common sense

36yrs • F •
Angel, I'm glad you and your roomie are alike. Now, if I can only find a girl like me...

Angel, I don't think intelligence has much influence on our beliefs. I was thinking about your example of the math genius who kills people. Sometimes our emotions overcome our intelligence. For example, when we're angry, we break things or ruin relationships, even though we're intelligent enough to know that doing so has negative consequences.

And palmistry?

Wyote, please enlighten me on your idiot-seeking techniques. I'm always trying to keep an optimistic opinion about people, so I can't find idiots. I find people who do stupid things, but I can never see them as idiots.

Comes from being so nice.

36yrs • F •
People, help me .

I really want to meet someone like me. It's great to be able to talk to you all, but I want something a little more real. How do I find people like you? Go and ask everyone what their understanding of infinity is?

I can't tell pick the philosphers from the group of people I already know. Should I start a Deep Thinkers Yahoo Group and randomly invite people?

40yrs • M •
i use the term "idiots" quite loosely. by "idiot" i usually mean a person who is simply going to waste my time on trivial subjects (trivial to myself at least), and/or a person who is going to simply ditch me later on down the road when something new comes along.

as far as deep thinkers goes, check out local coffee shops (avoid starbucks), 24 hour diners (1-4am), low key comedy clubs, bars with atmosphere, libraries(duh?), or any place that makes you feel at ease personally. chances are if you like the place, the people there like it as well... so you already have something in common to start up a convo with.

"come here often?" works nicely

if you find somebody willing to talk, you usually have to get through about fifteen minutes of bullshit formalities until they start to open up... and then youll figure out whether they are overflowing with philosophy or bologna.

35yrs • M •
By the intelligence thingy, I wasn't reffering to emotions. as they r only temporary. can a person who iz gud at maths but thinks that all black ppl are evil be considered intelligent??

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Babe,
you really don't want to meet someone LIKE you.

There are plenty of people around your city that you just have to seek out - are you studying in college? If so, or if you will be, you'll see the difference. Take the philosophy classes and go to the insane amounts of clubs there, and you'll have some tripped out but worthy discussions..

As much as philosophy courses won't help me in life, financially and career-wise, the idea that I can take them along with my two majors is almost like a relief from the already grounded ideas -

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think you should meet someone that you can relate to without being exactly the same ........

what fun would it be to hang out with yourself all the time.............

you have to allow yourself to accept that one person..

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
Too much deep thought. - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy