Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Price of Wisdom

User Thread
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Romach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Price of Wisdom
I don't know much about philosophers, only about their philosophy. Wouldn't a philosopher's life be a rather lonely one if she or he were dedicated to the discipline? Certainly the philosopher might do more than work, but there would always be someone to bitterly say "You can argue about anything," or "Can't you just talk like normal people," or "Why are you so damned cold, mean, and inhuman". Sure...there are biographies, but they can never tell the personal stories. So, what is the price the philosopher must pay to pursue wisdom?

48yrs • M •
One of my philosophy professors, Dr. Bulhof, asked me, "Why do students think I'm mean?"
"I don't know," I replied, "Could it be because NASA engineers would be able to understand you far easier than we?"
We tend to fear and condemn what we don't understand.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a good philospher is able to use their knowledge to keep themselves content, in spite of seemingly negative outside forces... in fact many of those forces are cause for inspiration.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with the inspiration part, but the content part I believe a bit more tempermental and complicated, there just seem to be happier more energetic people or those that move a little slower and or just seem a little more down more often. Pretty predictably.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
yea definately, i just meant content within themselves... erm something like that

46yrs • M
That is more reasonable, seeing as how some would be content with themselves if it weren't for the outside forces that were perhaps persistent about any possibly intentional disruption.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, most philosophers like to be with themselves, and are not good socialites, but still, for them it's not a negative thing, for them, there are greater things in life then talking for no reason.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M
I think it's just a different kind of socializing, most people attempting to seek truth don't make for good "socializers" in the eyes of those trying to avoid it.

But, if you are lucky you aren't completely trapped in an overanalytical thought process, attempting to expose every lie, even your own. Pointing out how there is no way anyone can know this or that for sure. Forming every sentence with, possibly, probably, one can reasonably assume.

If you can get off that train every now and then, you'll still be just as confused as ever, but you might fit in more.

40yrs • M •
quote:
Yeah, most philosophers like to be with themselves

i disagree, many like to be around other philosophers, and also enjoy the company of a person who may have an outlook on things that is completely different from anything they have previously encountered.

there are introverted and extroverted philosophers.

one thing i have noticed is their seemingly condescending attitude, which is mostly produced by a misunderstanding in their silence or lack there of (being intro or extro).

everyone is a philosopher to a certain extent.

by "content with themselves" i meant with the way they lived their life and carried about their daily business.

im an introverted philosopher, but i enjoy one on one conversations with anyone.

48yrs • M •
So...what the hell is a philosopher?
Main Entry: phi-los-o-pher
Pronunciation: f&-'lä-s(&f&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, modification of Middle French philosophe, from Latin philosophus, from Greek philosophos, from phil- + sophia wisdom, from sophos wise
Date: 14th century
1 a : a person who seeks wisdom or enlightenment : SCHOLAR, THINKER b : a student of philosophy
2 a : a person whose philosophical perspective makes meeting trouble with equanimity easier b : an expounder of a theory in a particular area of experience c : one who philosophizes
["philosopher." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2004. http://www.merriam-webster.com (2 Jan. 2004).]

Given this definition, I suppose about anyone can be a philosopher. What makes you a philosopher?

46yrs • M
Given your last statement why would you even bother asking? Any answer he gives you is now covered.

48yrs • M •
I don't know why I'm laughing histerically at your response. Maybe because it's true in some way. However, Lefty, it's kinda like looking at a map of the United States, asking what state the person's from and saying that it doesn't matter where he's from on the map because he's an American. But, it does matter if he's from Hawaii or from Virginia, because they're different kinds of Americans with different cultures, values, etc....

48yrs • M •
Damn, dude. You're goofy

40yrs • M •
i completely agree with leftwood, but if you are going to make me "choose" what makes me a philosopher... ill go with definition 1a. each definition covers some base that reflects myself, but that one is the one that fits me most of the time and to the furthest extent.

but as i said, everyone is a philosopher to a certain extent, if you arent living to learn, you arent living.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think philosphising and deep thinking is the same thing.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
The Price of Wisdom
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy