He who works with his hands is a labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist - Saint Francis of Assisi
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

religion in schools

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that weltanschauung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
religion in schools
I was raised with no religion what so ever basically, so religion in schools was never a big issue...until i moved to the midwest. My german teacher is constantly making references to his religion, how he doesnt drink, because he's christian, how he is saving himself for marriage, because he's christian. On november first, he held up his cross and said 'this is why im voting for george bush' ( which if he believes a man who kills innocent iraqi civilians, and supports big corporations over families ,is a man of god, he needs to reread his bible.) He even goes so far as to point out, and compliment other students on their crosses they wear. As an athiest, i am very offended to be honest. I feel the need to tell him to stop making these references, but i dont from fear of subjecting myself to discrimination. Also, I'm not too clear about the specific laws on whats crossing the line and what isnt. All i know is i get pissed off, and i feel like im in a hostile learning environment. Is there anything i can do about it, or am i going to just have to deal with it?

""That all knowledge begins with experience, there can be no doubt...""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you should jot down an account of all the things this man does that crosses you... then since he's using (i think abusing in this case) free speech, you then do the same at some point where you think a comment of your nature might be well placed and somewhat accepted.

if they give you any shit about it, whip out your notepad and quote word for word all the unwelcomed emphasis your teacher placed on religion and point out the fact that you held in all retorts until this one particular instance. I think that kind of approach would fuck with their heads abit if nothing else.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
go with the older and wiser female advise welt... sonded good

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Definitely good advice Mystic.And being a teacher (or former teacher) if I recall, you obviously know your way around issues like this within the system.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You're a rebel.
They must weed out and pacify the rebels.

That and all of your "democratic" rights are stripped when you walk into a school, anyway.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 40yrs • M •
lol mystic.

i say it with the upmost respect ma'am.
smiles

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm . . . mixed feelings ?
Consensus, note said statements first then at some time after having logged these incidents, like on a weekend when you are not in your normal student mode look through them.
Are you being oversensitive or is it your attitude toward him in general?
If he was a jock, who came to class from the local fitness center, making similar comments about how good it was to exercise would you feel he was violating your rights?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The point is, cturtle, that the teacher is violating the rule of separation of church and state when he preaches in a public school classroom. This is not a matter of opinion.

Just a matter of opinion, my reading didn't convince me he preaches in a public school classroom.
One of my relations is a young wheelchair bound college student.
So if she came to me in context to my previous statement, I would certainly see her point of view, which I would advise her to talk with the teacher as he may not mean to offend & would show better taste about making such statements.
Personally, I think he is setting himself up for the fall when he fails to live up to christian (?) standards but the point is he violating the Law by making statements about His religious belief?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
religion in schools
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy