Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Defining God - Page 4

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Christianity (I think) has the exclusive christian only 144,000 or whatever the number that will be saved, thats it, of the entire world that is all that will be saved (its one of them religions) I'm not sure which religion it was at the moment actually I just remebe, going to church for one, and inviting in a couple different door knocking "bible" thumpers of different sects denominations and what all, for debates on what they were "selling". They will go door to door and tell you that you will go to hell without being saved by the one true god and follow the one true bible. So if its not the religion its at least a lot of people. And they aren't shy about it either.

Oh and the point about the Jewish word of god, I love this one, although they defend tooth and nail to the death about no contradictions in the bible, they willingly admit that there is 2 parts to the bible, the Old Testament and New, where the old one, the basis of Jewish laws and religion the laws of moses, has certain laws, and that the New one has differing laws, jesus' laws. One is vengeful and warlike (including having god instruct someone to kill their own kid as an act of faith I think thats old testament, not sure 100% but it is in the bible and its appearantly ok, ow braincramp) while the New testament promotes peace, but still with war and hell. They claim it to be the unfaltering and uncontradictory, well bull shit on you. I would like to know more about the exact differences because when I ask someone they just say that they are different and one is bloodier than the other, (short of christ's big day I take it), well what does that tell you anyway, doesn't it sound a little odd?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That number is indeed in the bible. Most christians ignore it though (today, not in the past).

It is very important for Jehova's witnesses though.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M
Maybe its a little different here in the states, but I know those recent Left Behind books put all that right back in the mainstream. But like I said, I've talked to a few people over the years, not tons but enough to have known about it and to know I'm going to hell.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 37yrs • M •
According to some christians sects, you are doomed to go to hell (or heaven) from the moment of your birth.

46yrs • M
And when did the fire and brimstone thing come about, I know hell as most often referred to as past mentioned a simple serparation from god. Which makes some sense especially when defining hell on earth, not just in religious views but general spirituality.

Either here or on another thread I want to pose a question, because I had been stuck for some time on it, of the difference between spirituality and religion. I was reading an article in Time "The God Gene" and I think I got more of an idea that is comforting about what spirituality could be or is.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, originally, religion was intended as a means for spirituality. But sadly, now religoin and spirituality have become two different things. Religion is a 'means' to spirituality, not spirituality itself.
Spirituality I think, cannot be completely defined in words. U can say it is getting in touch with ur self

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M
Funny I've usually heard that referred to as masterbating

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
see this thread is just silly... everyone has their own god, even if they claim to be a part of a particular religeon; they still have such specifics about what they believe personally that no two people end up having the same idea.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
But thats also the point, to show everyone they are full of shit.

40yrs • M •
ah, touché leftwood... oh yea and im by no means complaining, i enjoy hearing everyones interpretations.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, there is no such thing as a 'Islamic' God or a 'Christian' God. Basically, the Christian God, the Muslim God, the Jewish God, and even the Hindu God are the same. Can anyone please state one difference between the Gods of these major religions?

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M
Only what they individually claim, many will say they are all the same, Christians (more fundamentalisticly) will claim their professed god to be the only true god and that others are just wrong, as for any other difference, it kinda depends on the type of practices are "required" to properly worship or pave your way to heaven, some have different ideas of imagery of their gods, the religions you listed all have very similar roots and so do tend to have similarly described gods, where as some have multiple gods etc.

40yrs • M •
i suppose it isnt the actual "God" itself, but rather the way in which we all experience this "God" that is quite different from person to person. since we all have different experiences, we all have different notions about what God is to us personally. so, basically God becomes something very different to each and every one of us because of our experiences... or even lack there of.

and then of course there are the subtle differences that leftwood speaks of as well.

37yrs • M •
Difference? Well for one there is no Hindu God, there's more then one.

Second their's difference along the lines of who the high spiritual authority is. For Jews its Rabbi, for Islam its the Caliph, for Christianity its the pope (for catholics) or local priest for orthodox/protestant.

There's also differences along whether or not you are doomed to go to hell from the day of your birth.

ETC

Point is there are differences, the main one is that each one thinks its the special one and all the others are bastard religions.

Defining God - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy