Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this movie was interesting to me on several different levels. its based off of old movies from the 40s and 50s, but it is almost entirely made with CGI. it also blended in several newer movie "moments" that younger audiences would probably be familiar with. i dont think it is quite as captivating to the audience as it could be, and the blending of the old with the new may deter people from seeing this movie. as one of my younger friends put so eloquently "THAT MOVIE LOOKS SHINY!"

all in all its a fun flick. the chemistry between gweneth and jude is fantastic. giovanni ribisi was cast perfectly as dex. i loved the sarcasm and witty remarks all through out the movie, and the ending had a few minor twists that kept it interesting, but it is simply missing something that i cant quite put my finger on.

6.5/10

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
but it is simply missing something that i cant quite put my finger on

Competant Actors?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
haha... well angelina wasnt in it that much....

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That is the kind of movie that you don't want to see...

I think it was good in the way of the advance that it brought, but the story isn't captivating, besides it's weird the mixture of a 40's movie with a futuristic plot

3.7/10

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"besides it's weird the mixture of a 40's movie with a futuristic plot "

Its a concept called retro, its what it would have looked like if it were made in that time with the degree of moniemaking technology available today.

This is a culmination of period comics and stories from the 40's ish or something.

The plot was alright to me, nothing new, but thats half the point.

I enjoyed it especially because I love seeing the advance in what humans are able to create from imagination, and advancing detail, but also because I like to try to imagine what people of different time periods thought like, and what things they reacted to differently, how and why etc.

I think it just lacked some more detailed backround and climatization, it was a little confusing to adjust to the mentality of the movie. Kind of whether or not it was a parody or serious. Maybe that's what threw me.

And it definitely didn't create the bond with the characters that we are used to, not much backround, and confusing love story, no commitment or focus.

But it was purrrty.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy