Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Origin of light

User Thread
 51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Origin of light
If we are located in a local supercluster that belongs to a local group and it takes light a hundred million years to cross it where does the light issue from that it is traveling across whole super clusters, in all directions, there is only the sun and stars, so has light that exists in stars got a finite lifespan,meaning that is light finite, as in, it will come to an end?
http://www.grandunifiedtheory.org.il/
Some interesting science at that link.

[  Edited by Blissfull doom at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Everything will probably come to an end. Light too. But long after humans are extinct, as even if all the stars collapse, it will still take millions of years for light to finally finish out. But if all the stars collapse, forming black holes, then this universe will be finished anyway, it will become one big black hole.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
hmm, but where does light go?
I mean, when you turn on a lamp, and then turn it off, the light finishes. Where do those particles/waves go?

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
hmm, but where does light go?
I mean, when you turn on a lamp, and then turn it off, the light finishes. Where do those particles/waves go?

The light get absorbed by the surrondings. The wll , the carpet the shades whatever.

35yrs • M •
Then why don't they glow? if you point a lamp towards a small wooden block for days, then turn if off, it will be the same as when you shine it on it for a second.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Oh contrare,Just go into the living room & look at the faded colors that exist between areas of light & shade.
Elctromagnetic radiation (light) maintains constant velocity as long as it doesn't interact with other mediums (other than the void) but the frequency does change, the significant distance of intergalactic transfer would reduce both the amplitude & frequency, the light of distant galaxies would not be light but lower in the infrared region? Conversely the emitted radiation would have been in the ultraviolet range & shifted into the visible range?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perhaps light simply dissperses to a point where it no longer visible

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that frijoles is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When light hits a white surface it bounces of and some is absorbed and turned into heat. If it hits a dark surface it is mostly absorbed and turned into heat but some is reflected. The whiter the surface, the less heat is absorbed and the more light is reflected. Vice versa for dark surfaces. Light never dies, it just hits something and bounces of or is turned into another form of energy.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well said frijoles. Objects only glow when there is a huge amount of heat generated. Light can either reflect, absorb or be scattered. mediums absorb this light and either hold this heat energy or emit it.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Perhaps light simply dissperses to a point where it no longer visible

only a small percentage of the light spectrum is actually visible... if i can remember from physics which was 2 months ago so work with me on this one... =)

theres radio waves, gamma radiation, microwaves, visible light, and one other, cant remember...

light is just us definine how a type of energy is moving, it is moving in a wave... any energy that moves in a wave is therefor light...

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Blissful, light is like the ripple in the lake after you throw a stone in, the stone is the source, say, a sun. If the lake is big enough, you can eventually see the ripple grow smaller and smaller until it disappears.

That is why, if we look far enough into the depths of the universe, we stop seeing light, and start seeing microwaves, which was once light, but has now been so stretched that it is no longer 'light' in terms of infra red, visible and ultra violet.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 47yrs • F •
(*disco*) is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Life is light.

Let me explain:

Matter is made of molecules.

Molecules are made of atoms.

Atoms are made of Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons.

Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons are made of quarks.

Photons are the basic particle of light (which is then made of more things, but for practicality and speed sake stopping here).

Therefore Matter, at it's roots, is built out of light.

Tthe electromagnetic spectrum encompasses an enormous range of wavelengths and frequencies (and thus energies).
This spectrum is divided into major spectral regions (ie/ gamma, x, uv, vis, infra, micro, radio) see more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_spectrum

And each frequency correlates to a wavelength on that spectrum.

So if we each (yes humans are made up of light) resonate at a specific frequency, we emit a specific wavelength too its all in the detector when it comes to finding it. (its the basis of atomic spectroscopy and my job...chemistry! )

or as hippies like call them: auras.

source: Principles of Instrumental Analysis - by Skoog

And as for the universe...it's anyone's guess....but there could be a few dimensions, including hyperspace and dimensions we can't see or access.

"located in the illusory domain of psycho-mental existence"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
great answer, but i think ur a bit too far ahead of the rest of this discussion. the answer to the first question, is that light is absorbed into the surroundings, and converted into heat energy. the one thing i want to ask, is why do curtians etc fade in the sunlight, i can understand that the light energy is abosorbed, but how does that make the colour change?

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
why do curtians etc fade in the sunlight, i can understand that the light energy is abosorbed, but how does that make the colour change?

The color objects appear depends upon their chemical makeup. Objects absorb some colors and reflect others. Some things, such as the ultraviolet rays in sun, can break the chemical bonds. This changes what is reflected back--when the object is bleached white, it reflects all the colors of light. Some objects fade faster simply because their chemical bonds break down faster.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Atlantis5 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Before we conclude we know the source of light, let's first invent digital asperines for some users that are trying to even comprehend the entire concept of the origin of everything.

Or pre-patent carplate jokes like "Am I driving too slow? No, sugar. I'm travelling at lightspeed light."

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives you the test first, and the lesson afterwards."
Origin of light
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy