In the chemistry of love one plus one is everything and two minus one equals nothing - rudra_tatvamasi
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

oh zeno and you paradoxs

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Quoteless is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
oh zeno and you paradoxs
Have any of you come across the man zeno or any of his paradoxes? if not i thought you might like to here one, being the philosophy lovers that you are.
the paradox of movement - ie movement is logically impossable and what we see must therefore be an illusion.
If i wanted to get from point A to point B i would have to traverse length C. Imagine that i was half way there , before i get half way however , i must get a 1/4 of the way , and before that an 1/8 and before that a 1/16 etc of the way. now , how far can we logically divide length C , surley into an infinite ammount of points. Yet how can one cross an infinity? well you simply cant , and so it appears not 'everything is a flux' but quite the opposite. comments anyone ?

"..."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well when you get down to it, basically everything is infinite. there are an infinite amount of infinitismal points of matter on every piece of matter. yet we cross infinity every time we move. even when time is passing, there are infinite little moments in each second, millisecond, etc. yet we can cross it. i don't really have anything to add to this, because it stumps me as much as anyone else. but i would agree that it is perplexing.

"You are reading this."
 39yrs • M •
i think the point of it is to claim that we dont move, that movement is impossable , what we can see with our senses is simply an illusion. If you ask me , its a play on words , ask aristotle however and he'l give you a much better answer

"..."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sounds like the definition of the limit?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The resolution is simple. "Just begun is half done." So, if when you start you are half way there then all those messy little points are gone OR never existed. I, personally, have never tripped over one and I've done a lot of tripping.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 39yrs • M •
... erm , i think you missed the point matey. the halfway there point is part of the explanation of how you cant get halfway there... nice attempt though.. cute

"..."
 72yrs • M •
ya, the area under the curve is a limit of the value as you take incrementally small value of the rectilinear values it approaches the absolute value of the area of the curve.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Danny123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it's just not possible to apply our finite minds to an infinite universe. Even the concept of infinity is finite.

72yrs • M •
quote:
possible to apply our finite minds to an infinite universe.

Wakan Tankan => the Universal Infinite,
TateTob (TobTob) the Eight Directions of the Wind => infinite universe.

43yrs • M •
thix25 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
the paradox can be solved by a deeper understanding of how energy changes or transfers. enerygy never dies it only converts its changed molecules to facilitate its next step towards another change, which in itself is the very basis of infinite smallness and infinite biggness. imagine a circle and choose a place you want to start from and start counting at segments of 1/4 inch until you get all the way back to the start. Nowjust because you started counting there dosn't mean the circle now exsists it only means that you know how long it is, so the distance we "travel" is the release of energy that has to transfer to put a number on it is counter productive. The energy will release it self one way or another no matter how long you stand. Once you die your bodie will fall overand you have then crossed your "starting point" the simple answer is we help facilitate energy transfer through constant motion and the amount energy we expend equals the distance we covered, and youcant just start counting wherever and say thats the begining, how did you get to the starting point in the first place. be intuitve this will help you more than you can imagine

43yrs • M •
thix25 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
think of it as a bullet, the same paradox applies, once the bullet gets to its taget the bullet doesn't destroy what it hits the energy released does due to inertia hence the energytransfer goes on not in a loop but in its own wave pattern that is easily altered through a consistency of variables i.e. other energy transfers.

oh zeno and you paradoxs
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy