Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

emotion

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
binaryfairy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
emotion
Can we as human beings when exposed to the same stimuli actually feel the same kind of emotion in relation to that stimulus? Whats to say that my happy is not your sad or angry do we feel the same way?

"Search for truth and find Madness"
 38yrs • M •
rAkka is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Some things one person might find unpleasant whereas another might rather enjoy (rollercoasters come to mind).

But as for emotions, I think you're talking about interpretation. If someone says something nice to me, depending on my morals, values and background, it might make me confident, overegoed, or disgusted that I would display something so openly like I was looking for attention. It's dependent on individuals, and their environment, both past and present.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
no one has the exact same reaction, in order for that to happen, you would have to be the exact same person, with the exact same history and exact same mindset at that very same instant... we all react very differently, tho sometimes the differences are very subtle.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Like taste buds. See, in here ->
To some stimuli, people love the stuff. Others get a different reaction

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
binarary, love this question!
An extension of it I relate to color. We perceive & tend to think that we all experience the world in the same fashion. We say this is the color red, green, yellow or blue and we all agree.
But is the color I see & call blue, the same color that you do?
My older sister is color blind to an extent & doesn't make distinctions between shades, she would have to go to others to find if her outfit was color coordinated (matched) before going out.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here, I think, convictions in a system of beliefs do take presedence. If you believe differently than I do than when certain things accure, we will not feel the same about it.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We can only guess that others feel the same we do.

But if you have any empathy for others, then the answer if 'very probably'.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 41yrs • F •
Nem Qué is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Isn't this the first step down the road (or dead end) of solipsism? Others might not experience the same emotions in response to the same stimuli, but surely this doesn't automatically mean that they can't experience the same emotions at all? And if other people don't feel, we've no reason to believe that we have the same obligation not to hurt them. (At least, that's what we say about animals, right?) It's the age-old problem of skepticism, we can't prove that others do experience emotions, pain, etc, but equally so, we can't prove that they don't. This being the case, I think it makes sense to go with the most reasonable explanation; if they display the same symptoms, they've probably got the same disease.

"boredom is the only crime"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I think it makes sense to go with the most reasonable explanation; if they display the same symptoms, they've probably got the same disease.
Hmm . .Food for thought
I think I once felt the emotion of Love but I am not really sure? So how could those feeling be compared?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
emotion
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy