A relationship that is not built on friendship, is like a mansion built upon sand. - l2 () l3
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Free Will

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Free Will
does it exist?
i personally think its an illusion--our brain causes us to be conscious and have a mind, and our brain acts according to its own wiring when a choice is made, and chemicals or whatever in our brain cause us to have a sense of power, like "im going to do this," and then "ok i did it," making us feel like our minds actually told our brains what to do, when in reality it was the other way around.
i dont think anyone really has a choice in anything they do--were all a product of our environments and our brains react to things in how the environmnent and genetics have taught it to act.
i do kind of believe in a soul per say, or at least an abstract entity seperate from our physical bodies that is kind of wound up in our brains and minds somehow-- i dont think this "soul" has any power, though, and that all that it is capable of is experiencing what the brain and mind allow it to. without our brains this sould could not experience anything.

"You are reading this."
 62yrs • M •
billyboy2674 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
you're too smart for 21-you remind me of me at that age when I was much smarter than I am now.
Dont pay too much attention to internalization-it could lead to health problems.
And You are correct-free will doesnt exist not because the external world disallows it-but rather by our internal wiring;we couldnt be truly happy if happiness was thrown in our laps-we're too busy with negativity to allow ourselves the obvious gift of.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Although I don't know for sure, I suspect the free will is an illusion made to make people blameable (and therefore punishable). A society with blameable people works much better then one where everyone can do whatever the hell they want.

The 'soul' in my opinion, is simply what makes us more then rocks (and possibly animals). A rock doesn't experience. The soul is what makes us a spectator, it is the link between the electric messages sent to our brain and the fact we experience them.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe we do have free will.

I believe that our minds make us think logically and that would lead to cause and effect, and that is not freedom.
I do believe in a soul, and like you guys, it has not much of an ability to create free agency, but is more like an impression upon our minds and how we think and feel according to our characters.
But along with the body, mind, and soul, I believe in the heart.
Seriously, ok, the feelings of the heart are really in the brain and not in the pupming muscle, but maybe the brain is composed of the heart and mind.
I think that the heart allows us to experience choices on what we want, rather than what we need.
If there was no free agency, we would have a perfect world because we would understand to do this and that according to what was right and wrong. But we sometimes choose wrong over right and such forth.
I believe we can all choose what we do, and thus so, the fate that we come by.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is free will?
It is the idea as a human, even in the most degrading of situations, we still have a choice.

Perhaps not major, perhaps not meager. But the fact remains, we do not have to speak, or think. We choose to do these.
We also make a choice to do our own will, or the will of God.

quote:
Seriously, ok, the feelings of the heart are really in the brain and not in the pupming muscle, but maybe the brain is composed of the heart and mind.

This is probable. Because the mind usually 'listens' to the heart. Anyone foolishly in love knows that LOL. Thanks!

If we did not have free will, we would be more robotic. Life would not be an experience, but a set form we carry through.
The enjoyment would be curtailed too. Achievements would cease to exist, because our lives would be measured out already, and everyone would know, you had to do this anyway.

Free will, you just got to love it.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Free will is the ability to learn from experience and change the way we would normally react to things.
If you didnt have free will then if the same condition kept comming up would you have to do the same thing over and over?

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 37yrs • M •
Warriors X : Even a computer can learn from past mistakes, can react better when dealing with the same situation a second time.
I wouldn't call it free will.

36yrs • M •
Would a computer knowing the odds and knowing it has failed try again to never admit defeat?

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 41yrs • M •
if thats how it was programmed.

"You are reading this."
 36yrs • M •
We have a choice, unlike computers, because we choose to keep trying, when a computer has not option but to do what it is programmed.

37yrs • M •
Well its not uncommon for people to give up.

41yrs • M •
and no matter what choice we make, we obey our own programming. were programmed by genetics and our environment from the day were born. so were faced with a situation and our brains can be torn in two directions, and we can feel this pull as indecision in our minds, but in the end, like a computer, our brain makes the choice that fits most reasonably with how its programmed. and then we get this feeling of finality, like "well, i chose that." when in reality it was our brains that chose, and our minds that experienced the choice.

"You are reading this."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Well its not uncommon for people to give up.

That's their choice though, is it not?

Every action, unless involuntary is a choice.
Involuntary actions are more reactions. Like an instantaneous second. Not to be confused with free will.

Free will exists. I do not understand the argument. IF we did not have free will, would we even be debating it?

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 37yrs • M •
"Free will exists. I do not understand the argument. IF we did not have free will, would we even be debating it?"
Yes, if we have genetic predisposition to debating for example

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that rschulz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
On the notion of simplicity, what is simpler?

We actually have "free will" meaning every thought and action we have is random and incoherant, or we've built a psychology to create an idea that because we understand the concept there must be a limitation? (IE - we do not have free will)

Free will walks into oncoming traffic...fatalists utilize crossguards...if there IS a "right" way to understand the world this issue is definately in the crosshairs on this thread

"Morals here. Get your morals. Only cost...your freedom."
Free Will
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy