Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Passion of the Christ

User Thread
 75yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that jakereaney is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have you seen the movie yet? Have you discovered the real Christ?
Eldred
PS What about the scandal at Colorado U? Maybe this should be in current events, but maybe it shouldn't. I've already lost the importance of Janet Jackson's tit or Britney's marriage (I'd rather see her tit!)!

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I applaud Mel Gibson for making this movie, I know it took a lot of courage to direct such a movie in a world that frowns upon Christians. Also, I found that in the movie, when the nails are driven through the hands, that they are real nails and they are actually being driven through the hands, and it's actually Mel's hands that are being peirced. Wow.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Heard about the movie. Mel supposedly really studied up on this one. Compared the four gospels along with other gospels and historical documents. It supposed to be about as accurate as you can get.

A group has tried to claim that the nails went into the wrists and ankles claiming that if the nails went into the hands and feet it could not support the weight. This was their opinion, they had no proof. In the Philippians, young men actually do have themselves hung on the cross, and they put the nails right through the hands and feet and raise them on the cross, the nails don't seem to have any trouble holding them.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Im going to watch this on Wed. If anyone watches it let me know what you think. Here in Colorado we had pre screenings last night and people seemed to really like it.

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
WOW!! Did anyone go and see this. I couldnt even walk after I got out of there, I felt way overwelmed. I did like it and I think people should see it but warning it is violent and bloody.

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 35yrs • M •
I also heard that when they erected the guy playing Jesus on the cross, just as they were about to film, lightning struck him and he was encircled by some pink light, but yet he was unharmed. Thought that was pretty cool too.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I heard the same thing. And because it is so bloody, my wife is afraid to see it in a movie theater so we'll wait till it gets out on video. I heard that a great deal of study went into it and that it was very accurate, can't wait to see it.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 35yrs • M •
I went and saw it Saturday and all I have to say is WOW. Amazing. It moved me more than anything else has before.

Also I remember hearing from somewhere that the critics gave it bad ratings, I don't understand that, I mean the Titanic got good rating, why not the Passion?

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
titanic wasn't great either, but I'm not too bothered to say that I wasn't impressed by this movie, in any way, other than Jim and someone else being hit by lightning on the cross no less, otherwise the one scene that did get a twitch out of me was the scene with Mary watching Jesus take his casual stroll down death lane, other than that though, nothin.

I am not religious but have great interests of varying natures in religion, and had actually gone to see, on a whim, the Gospels of John a few months earlier to see what kind interesting takes or expressions to hopefully clarify or give any insights to the religion and its claims. No, Just a representation, which is all the passion was to me, a dry subltely overdramatic rendition of Old news, with nothin new to offer, other than a closure in accuracy in terms of representing the graphic gorey details found in the bible.

I think I remember some good cinematography, but otherwise, nothin.

People get an emotional rise out of it more because of the relationship with content then it being a good movie, because when you have something like the Gospel of John to compare to, the obvious differences are only, the language representation, emphasis of story (i.e. crusafiction, or other story of chirst which John included some of both) and the budget, other than that its the same story over and over and over again, so again its the emotional reaction to the content that is the real factor and if any reviews reflect negatively, well it doesn't have to do with the quality of the movie anyway, critics weren't gettin paid cause Mel was footin most the bill and flippin them the bird. Go Mad Mel. (to compare, where as titanic was a huge gamble being the most exspensive movie of its day, in the midst of a nothin too special movie summer, no new bravehearts in sight, and like any campaign to protect an investment they pay for their press, as long as they pay enough people will at least say what you want, but it still had enough to appeal to a large enough audience with its historical interest, young hot stars (leo and what's her nuts), big time special effects during FX craze, assured tragedy danger and death, a sappy love story, plus (kate winslett?) gets naked! rrawr

Not that any of that mattered, it just helped the super fluke that happened to actually make that movie what it was, some silly canadian went and accidentily made one the biggest singles of all time, still reigning karoeke champ (esp. in japan, trust me), thats right, I said it, Celine plus, multi-facited appeal, and the mondo effort is actually what made that movie, one of the highest grossers to date.

The emotional impact of the song reasonated perfectly with what you were supposed to feel in the movie, and because of it, you did.

Sound about right?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy