I don't buy everything I read/I haven't even read everything I've bought. - ExplodingGopher
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why?

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that deletion_of_me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why?
Why do people continue to wonder about the reasons that evil exists? Perhaps, instead of questioning the the existence of evil, we should look more closely at the existance of "good". If we are to disbelieve the creationist theories, and ignore the idea of intelligent design, then we are left with the chaos theory being the most prominent. Basically, there was nothing, a mishap (chaos) caused the creation of the universe from nothing. Chaos exists, no doubt. It seems that chaos IS our evil. What is seen as "evil"? Fire in its most dangerous BIG form; uncontrollable, therefore, evil. yet, it is simply chaotic. Its effects could be seen as evil as they don't fit in with out ordered daily life, yet fire has no will to destroy, it simply does. It has no intelligent mind that sets out to kill and burn.
-Jump ahead, past my justification of why chaos is seen as "evil" (it is not ordered) and come to my point. Why does good exist? People don't need to be good, do they? Why do people feel the need to do good? You earned what you have, yes? Why give it away to charity when you could make your own life better? You may argue that parents are good to their children by raising them, thus justifying the existence of good, yet this is a necessity to the survival of the species, as is so with ever other species that nurtures its' young.
Better yet, what is "good"? Is it order? Is it a desire to see everything work like clockwork - in exact synchronisation?
Why does good exist?

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My take on good. Subjective good (one often found in religions/law) differs from culture to culture. Things like wearing a full-body robe for women is "good" for Islam, but not other religions. Hence it is subjective. Similarily, many more traditional western people would consider having a large stable family as "good". This type of good because of social norms more then anything else. People expect something of you, you conform and that is viewed as moral. If you do NOT conform, you are evil in the eyes of the conformists. This type of "good" will hopefully die slowly with time.

Absolute good, is any act done with the intention of helping others regardless of what happens to oneself. This type, ultimately originates from social expectations as well. They expect me to be good, they taught be its better to be good etc.. There is also likely a genetic predisposition of people being good or not, but its quite fuzzy.

Both types of good come mainly from the same things : norms, expectations and education.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
spinning off of this a bit, assuming that there is good because there is evil and vise versa, would it be logical to also say that since there is "universe" there is also some sort of "non-universe" ? ...just a thought...

chaos = evil order = good
it sounds accurate, but it seems to me that human nature is to hate (or want to go against) order. would this in turn make everyone inherently evil? or perhaps simply chaotic.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good, much like love cannot be measured, nor 'explained'. If you can explain love, you are awesome.

Good is beneficial to one's health. If only evil and choas existed, we would be in hell.

If only good existed we would be in heaven.

Earth, is the combination, and it holds the ying and yang. The good and bad is 'present' in all humans, and animals.

Based on good, we have structure, Based on evil, we have the tearing down of the good structure.

Therefore, evil should be avoided and unyielded. To strictly believe it is present gives the illusion it is normal and can be an excuse for behavior cruel to another.

Good and evil, is much like love and hate. It has no clear definition, in that love and hate are emotions without logical explanation. Man needs logic, but cannot always utilise it.
In this case, it is not possible to explain the universe and why nor how it works.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 36yrs • F •
breathe is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Uhm, scientists and neuropsychologists have an explanation for love. It's a mixture of chemicals that are triggered by several different things. I could go into detail, however I'm tired. The answers are easily found on science/psychology sites/in books.

This is brief, yes, but delving any deeper than this superficial level would require science, and I am in the "religion" forum, after all. Science, when relatede to religion, never goes well.

Heh, "you are awesome." Yeah, what can I say.

"I am an apple"
 36yrs • M •
"It is not possible to explain the universe blah blah blah" We human seem to be doing quite a good job of it on a scientific level with the whole quantum physics etc etc etc.
*agrees that breathe is awesome*
Your whole "earth is balance" point does not explain the existance of good. You say it is NEEDED for the world to work. Why? Everything sprung from chaos, remember (hypothetically) and we don't need good to survive (as I explained, mother taking care of young isn't good, just necessary) so why does good exist?

36yrs • M •
It can, but the question is: why is it necessary?

36yrs • M •
If I knew I wouldn't have posed the question... ugh, I'm being picky again... Not satisfied ever, probably a problem.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To see glass half full is good, to see it half empty is bad. We do seem to always see it half empty rather than half full.

But I sometimes wonder, to see it half full, this brings us peace and satisfaction, but does it not also make us lazy. Sometimes we need to take action, is this when we see the glass have full?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
Why?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy