Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Alan's Philosophies

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Alan's Philosophies
Hye, since this is a philosophy thread, I figured I'd actually post something on philosophy. I consider myself a Christian Existentialist, which to most people is contradictory, but whatever.

Responsiblity-A person is "responsible" for all consequences that come from an action, whether they knew about them or not. However, they are not "accountable" for the results of the actions they had no clue about, meaning they shouldn't have to suffer the consequences. If an idividual cannot predict the outcome of an event, how can they be expected to make the best possible choice?

Parents-I love em and hate em. Good stuff first: Parents are good for teaching you right and wrong, and just exposing you to the world in general. Bad: They are too controlling. If I wanna be a rockstar, then dammit I'm going to be a rockstar and nothing you can do is gonna stop me. Too much/too little punishment. Too little for the little spoiled brats that are 13 years old and they still laugh and giggle in church and disrupt everyone else. In fact, there was this one kid who while the preacher was preaching, actually turned around in the pews(?) and faced away from the speaker. I'd have to comapre that to sitting at the dinner table, and turning away from the table itself and eating facing away from it. Too much for well, me lol but I have an example. I forget the trash about once every 2 or 3 months. I get grounded for a few days if I do this. This has been going on since I started taking the trash out, and my dad still hasn't noticed that no matter what he does, I am going to forget the trash every now and then becuase I sometimes have other things on my mind. No matter how much he punishes me, I will forget it every once in a while because I have a bad memory, and no punishment is gonna change that.

Tradition-Traditions are the stupidest thing on this Earth. Examples: Don't wear a hat inside. Why the hell not? Becuase my head shouldn't be covered? Well in that case I'd have to completely shave my hair off and then pull the skin off, and then remove my skull so my head isn't covered, if you wanna think about it that way. Or don't eat in church. I can eat in church if I want to. This rule has no bearing whatsoever, unless you say it's showing a sign of respect, by in my standard to me at least, doesn't change how much I repsect God at all, and He knows that.

The Bible-I'm not saying the Bible is wrong or fake. But there are some interpretations of it that are wrong. Such as, thou shalt not murder. Some people do not understand the difference between murder and killing. Murder is killing an individual without a justifiable cause. Killing is killing them, but with good intentions and a justifiable cause (i.e, shooting Hitler)

Judging People-This is the personality trait that pisses me off so much it makes me wanna gut the person doing it. We are all different, and people should accept that. I am in high school and we have groups of people such as goths,preps,skateboarders and punks. I have nothing against any of these people, until I meet them and find out how they really are. Like this one girl paints her face white cuz well, shes a goth. I have nothing against that, it's her personal choice. But there are some people, like preps who think that's freaky. God I HATE that. So my entire philosophy on this part is DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM PERSONALLY.

So far that's all I can think of. When I think of more things, I'll post em here.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 37yrs • M •
beachboy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hey i'm new to this forum so heres some stuff that was on my mind.
I wanted to comment on some thoughts of the bible. Now i'm not a very religious person. well, let me rephrase that, I feel that i'm quite religious, but I am not a "church" person. I'm NOT saying that all religions are fake and that there is no god. I do beleive that there is some kind of god/creator/vibe/karma/alien/ or something out there that had to have started it all. I just do not feel the need to pay money to sit in a room and have some guy tell me that i'm a sinner. I know i'm a sinner. But i figure that if you live a decent life, help out your neighbour, walk your grama accross the street, and dont murder too many people (I think you get what i mean ), that you should be ok in the end. I mean, how many people out there have honestly never sinned once in their entire life? I'v got nothing against people who attend churches or who are very religious,, but i see organized churches as more of a business. I think that its good to believe in something and i'm all for that, but when money becomes an issue simply to attend and learn some words of wisdom, i think thats a little to far. If there is a god, he didnt create money, we did, so i'm pretty sure that he has no use for it...
Last, my biggest pet peeve, is that if your are a strong member of a religious group, practice what you preach! If your going around telling people not to steal and to avoid pre-marital sex, then dont go out and shoplift a new jacket and fool around with your gf/bf that night! ( i know several people who have done this and it drives me nuts).

Anyway thats my two bits.

"God made pot, man made beer, who do you trust?"
 35yrs • M •
Dude you don't have to "pay" to go to church. you don't HAVE to tithe. It's a choice. The Bible reccomends it, but it is not something you absolutely have to do. I will admit I don't think I give enough money as it is. And it does say in the Bible that you should be generous with your belongings. No, it doesn't specifically mention money, but just material possessions in general. And your not giving money to the church persay, rather you are giving it to a charity who will reach out and try to help people with it. And I hate to tell ya this buddy, but it says in the Bible no matter how "good" you are, the only thing that will get you into the kingdom of God is believing Jeus died for us. Nothing else will.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The Bible-I'm not saying the Bible is wrong or fake. But there are some interpretations of it that are wrong. Such as, thou shalt not murder. Some people do not understand the difference between murder and killing. Murder is killing an individual without a justifiable cause. Killing is killing them, but with good intentions and a justifiable cause (i.e, shooting Hitler)"
Hmmm... Does the Bible specify what is a murder and what is a righteous smiting?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
UnderDawg- Was the point of starting this to talk about Christian Existentialism or did you want us to discuss what our own philisophies are? Just wondering.

[  Edited by Danipog at   ]
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dr. suess is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hello every one, dumbteen real quick, killing has nothing to do with intention it is simply an act of ending ones life.

underdawg do u believe in heaven? just curious

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And the Bible doesn't say "though shalt not murder", it says "though shalt not KILL".
So there, I don't understand the ambiguity Underdawg.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 42yrs • M •
crowded hermit is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
It strikes me as being odd at how so many people consider themselves Christians and know so little of the book that is the basis for their beliefs. It seems that many christians are happy with the stories they hear in Sunday school and the assurance that they will go to heaven no matter how 'bad' they are. I am an avid fan of a childlike faith but as one gets older you would expect them to investigate what they proclaim to believe in. I am finishing college right now and am surrounded by Christians who are supposed to be educated. I see that many of you are only a few years younger than I am and I encourage you to keep investigating. Anyway sorry, just found this site and got carried away by the curiousity and interest I have seen.

"According to your faith be it unto you."
 35yrs • M •
1st, yes, I was also askin what some of your philosophies on life were, I guess I should have made the title different.
2nd, yes I do belive in heaven.
3rd, dumbteen, you are reading an english translation of the bible, I am talking about the Bible as it was originaly written, as some things can be lost in translation.

40yrs • F •
Rean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i beleive in what you said about responsibilty. you cannot be responsible for something you didn't do and something you're bnot involve with. the problem with people is that they mind other peoples business wherein that person can even solve their own problem bythemselves,if they've done something immoral or uncharacteristic let them deal with it.they're old enough to know what they did they should learn how to fix their lives.if they ask for help then that the time you can but-in with their business.
traditions-i don't agree with you. sometimes yeah they complicate peoples life but sometimes its there to guide or to lead someone to their life.traditions help someone look for their their history or their root.its one of the basis of their being. how would a person know who they are right?
the bible thing- its up to a person on what their interpretations on the book.

for me my life is my life. its up to me if i'll follow my country's or my families tradition because i'm the one whose going to live with it for the rest of my life. must be responsible for my own actions even if their bad , i made my own choice so i have to deal with it. and i believe in god and sometimes bible helps me find him and teaches me things that i don't know.

""reasons why people loves to hate me""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gothabomber is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jus t atrail of thought here and im not tryin to put anyone off of there religions or watever but dont u think that religions are contradictory and a bit totalitarian. I mean look at the crusades, the inquisition ( different types of relion but all in all ), all these religions that base them selves on the rule shall not kill ( killing is murder all in all it just depends on ur opinion of it) and so forth, what did they do? killed hundreds upon thousands jews, muslims non- cristians etc, a bunch o hipocrites basicaly ( the pope right in the middle). Also its funny how the church back in the day killed those who quistioned it... lets see does that nor eremind u of anyone imparticular...mmm..Hitler thats it.
No offense to anyone but i think religions suck big time and if its worth while beleving anything then belive in human nature and natural things, causes a lot less persecution and tension.

"everything but never anything"
 35yrs • M •
I think that this argument has been tryed and failed every time. The people who did those things do not represent Christianity in any way, I don't care WHO did it. Are you saying that Osama Bin Laden represents the Muslim faith?

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gothabomber is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
religion taken in the wrong hands can become a devastating effect just like goverments who have people with strong beleifs that dont comply with the people of the states view. I dont know why u bring up osama bin laden because his attack and devistation was in retaliation to american bombardment of afhganistan but never mind that. You say that the catholics and prodestants and orthodox cristians dont represent cristianity but they basicaly form there religion on the basis of cristianity. Religions are a gd idea aslong as they dont start to get natialist ( in a sense) or egotistic.

"everything but never anything"
 35yrs • M •
You are obviously reviewing "religions" in the wrong way. Saying religion is a "good idea" means you are completely missing the entire thing about it. Religion is not something that is "there" to those to believe it, it is not religion, it is TRUTH. Therefore, it's not a good idea, but actually a fact that all those need to know. I'm trying to get you to see if from a different perspective, not just "Oh those people think God exists, I think a small number of those people are good to have"

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
With out religion the world would be a more dangerous than it already is, due to the fact the bible and God, teaches one morals and also to accept what you get inlife, therefore making it better.... that is my two cents.

I am not religious i am still on my quest to find my inner god..

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
Alan's Philosophies
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy