Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other folks have lent to me - Anatole France
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

GMed Organisms

User Thread
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Crimson_Saint is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
GMed Organisms
I lost my post goddamnit. Ok I wanted to know what people see GMed foods as evil. There are a few ecological dangers, but those for the most part are either negligible or not so different then the changes to nature we have done though agriculture so far.
The benefits are potentialy huge. We can no longer have to use dangerous pesticides, produce life saving drugs more cheaply, create larger amounts of food and be able to do so in harsher conditions.
The initial post was longer but oh well.

"AIDS is God's way of sending Catholics to heaven."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The GM stuff will mix with the normal stuff making it all the same so that its all GM. The only way to grow the GM stuff is with chemicals. This method of farming might seem great, it however produces food that is less nutritious. The fear is, if we let the corporate powers have their way - we may never again be able to produce nutritious grain again. They will be able to produce more per acre, it will be more profitable for them, less nutritious for us. And then again, the environmental issue. There is the unknown factor. We don't know what it will do to nature. I for one don't want to hear them declare "Oops, we didn't know that would happen."

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why can't they just inject the nutrients in the grain, or whatever other foods? There is no difference between the nutrients synthetically made and naturally nade is there?

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The GM stuff will mix with the normal stuff making it all the same so that its all GM."
Incorrect. You can make GM foods who only live one generation. They cannot have "children". Not all GM foods are like this, but many are especially in the US.

" This method of farming might seem great, it however produces food that is less nutritious."
Where did you hear that? I have never heard this and one of the great things about GM is that you choose what nutrients are in it.

" They will be able to produce more per acre, it will be more profitable for them, less nutritious for us."
And CHEAPER for us... Besides even IF it is less nutritious, that is a good thing if nothing else. The number 1 killer in the US (obesity) exists because of overeating nutritious foods.

I'm with you Crimson Saint, GM is another big step in the health and medical world and I think its stupid how people want to hold it back!

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 64yrs • M •
I've read articles in Wired (They don't take a stand either way), and Mother Earth News (If it aint natural they don't like it). I'm certainly NOT qualified as an expert. One has to wonder why the whole nation of Africa treats it like poison and Europe is doing its best to block it, not to mention a large movement here in the U.S. I will mention however that the same thing happened when they invented Microwave ovens. But still, I am cautious.

Over farming creates mineral deficient grain, fruits and vegetable. GM or not. That is a problem we had and have.

This is what frightens me. You just don't take these seeds and plant them in the ground and they grow. You have to use a special chemical fertilizer that the company who developed the GM seed has patented. They have done this to protect they're patent. There is no denying this is all about profit. Profit don't care about our health or nature.

The fear is, they pollinate with other plant life and other things won't grow without this special patented fertilizer.

Doesn't give me a warm comfy feeling.

37yrs • M •
"One has to wonder why the whole nation of Africa treats it like poison and Europe is doing its best to block it"
I think Europe is doing it because we don't have any real GM producers and Europe is simply protecting its producers (albeit indirectly).

"The fear is, they pollinate with other plant life and other things won't grow without this special patented fertilizer. "
The effect IMO, would be minor. Local life would be hurt slightly, the biggest possible threat from GMed organisms is that they'll somehow spread into nature and damage the local ecosystems. That threat is removed if the organisms can reproduce more then once.

" They have done this to protect they're patent. There is no denying this is all about profit. Profit don't care about our health or nature. "
Most people care about health and nature, hence companies can only make a profit if they're products treat health and nature reasonably, otherwise people don't buy their products.

64yrs • M •
Dumbteen - I don't know where you come up with the stuff you come up with. And you throw it at us like it was fact.

You think you know - your opinion is noted.

37yrs • M •
Hmm? What did I say that was only opinion and not fact?

64yrs • M •
The Truth according to Dumbteen: "Most people care about health and nature, hence companies can only make a profit if they're products treat health and nature reasonably, otherwise people don't buy their products."

44yrs • M •
Back and forth back and forth...back to my un-answered post, does anyone know whether they can't just inject the diminished nutrients into the plants?

37yrs • M •
"Back and forth back and forth...back to my un-answered post, does anyone know whether they can't just inject the diminished nutrients into the plants?"
I don't know about that, but I DO know that there is no reason GMed food would be less nutritious.

"Most people care about health and nature, hence companies can only make a profit if they're products treat health and nature reasonably, otherwise people don't buy their products."
I think its true. Ask anyone in the street whether they want the forests to burn down and they'll say "no" ask them if they want to eat poison and they'll say "no".
They may not always act upon this, but in modern years there has been a huge shift in the way people want food. Fewer people want convenience, more people want health.
The reason people have been so unaccepting of Gmed food is because people today care more about the potential environmental dangers and health risks.

64yrs • M •
yes - organic gardening.

44yrs • M •
OkCity, do you know why Gmed foods would be any less nutritious than regular farmed foods?

I'm curious to see if this is one of the myths...

64yrs • M •
Actually gmed food would or could be more nutritious than regular farmed foods, but not more nutritious than organic gardening. However, not all of us will have the luxury of eating just organic grown foods as it is more expensive, or a lot of work if you have the land. For most of us - we would do good to take supplements. The fear of gmed food is not unfounded and only our great great grand children will know the effects. I opt to not take the chance, it is no real benefit except profit.

64yrs • M •
Gm is a good idea. For example: They have created a tobacco plant that does not create nicotine. Here in the U.S. the Amish have a contract to grow it, and are happy to do it. Even though they believe that all things should be natural, they have made an exception here because this will help people quit smoking. These seeds don't require a chemical fertilizer to grow.

The other stuff requires a chemical fertilizer to grow. They made it this way on purpose to protect their patent. Since when do we put a patent on a plant? If all went there way or goes their way, they stand to make a fortune. This is what is wrong. If they removed that particular genetic code so that you could plant it just like any other seed. Me and many others would give it an Amen. But this particular genetic code they have added for profit has many worried.

GMed Organisms
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy