It is not the actual death that people fear but the time leading up to and time right before death that people fear for when you are dead you will not be able to or have the cabability to care that you are dead. - Chilltime55
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What's your favorite word? - Page 4

User Thread
 73yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Decapolis is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Juice or any tense of juice.

There are so many fine "juices" that I remember when I think about juicing. Holy juicing Christ that reminds me, I missed that juicing appointment with that juicing Doctor today, oh well, he was just going to tell me that I'm juiced!

92yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that kowalskil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your question, "what is your favorite word," reminded me of an unfinished essay, shown below.

==========================
I recently heard a talk about color. The speaker asked "Why do most people say that blue is their favotite color?" This fact has been established by conducting objective surveys, I suppose. I did not know how to answer the question. And I did not pay attention to how it was answeredd; I was thinking about how I should answer.

"Why is the sky blue?" he then asked a youngster. The boy's answer, based on what he learned in school, was more or less correct. This made me think about what "why" stands for, and about how it should be answered in general. How can we distinguish an answer that is acceptable from one that is unacceptable? Do all questions have acceptable answers?

Suppose someone askes me "why does the shape of the moon change from week to week?" The answer "because the illuminated part of the moon, visible to us, changes" is certainly acceptable (to those who have learned about stars, planets and moons.) But the question "why is it snowing in our park today?" is much more difficult to answer. In fact, I am not sure it can be answered without referring to unpredictable randomness.

According to one philosopher, "everything in the universe has a cause and is thus an effect of that cause. This means that if a given event occurs, then this is the result of a previous, related event." The idea of chains of cause and effect, illustrated below,

A --> B --> C--> D --> E --> ...

has been engraved in my mind since childhood. It is model of reality shared by many people. The implication is that everything is controlled by laws of nature, laws of society, laws of music, etc. People are able to discover these objectively existing laws and to rely on them to make predictions.

Scientists know that models (theories) of reality are based on experimental data. A single conflict between a theory and data is a good reason to either reject or modify a theory.

======================

I PLANED TO ADDRESS OTHER RELATED TOPICS, SUCH AS REAL AND FICTITIOUS CAUSES, SCIENTIFIC METHODOLOGY OF VALIDATION OF CLAIMS, ETC. PERHAPS I SHOULD RETURN TO THIS UNFINISHED TASK. WRITING AND SHARING WHAT I THINK BECAME MY PASSION, AFTER RETIRING.

92yrs • M
The above diagram does not imply that all events in the universe belong to one chain. The event C, for example, can be due an earlier even in abother chain. A better diagram will be added, to illustrate a more realistic situation in which chains are tangled. A single event can be due do several different causes and each event can be a cause of more than one event. Reality, in other words, is usually more complex than simple theories.

L.K.

92yrs • M
Decapolis refered to "juces." What did he mean?

L.K.

92yrs • M
P.S.
I am often confused when familiar words to other things.

L.K.

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
galoshes. Because it is fun to say.

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 73yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Decapolis is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Kowalskil
I was attempting to show the absurdness of using the "F" word in contexts that do not apply.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dancid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like.. 'clandestine' for the simple sound of it.

"Draw from your past, but do not let your past draw from you."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that A Kindred Heart is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lagoon

"Love, love is in the air, and I am breathing it all in."
What's your favorite word? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy