if somebody thinks they are a hedgehog presumably you give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out themselves. - Douglas Adamas
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Real Religion Or Cult?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
scribit is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Real Religion Or Cult?
To begin with I am a Rastafarian; this is not because my ancestry can be traced to Africa. Jamaica or Ethiopia. It is because of choice. Which ultimately I feel is a greater grounding in beginning a religion than being born into one, or even having one inflicted on you from an early age.
Many people say they are something, like a Christian, or even an atheist. Or agnostic, not because they truly believe, or even truly question but because they feel it to be a simpler alternative to standing up and being counted.

Also, Cults, with the rise in popularity of death metal that verbally endorses 'ungodly' acts, sacrificing and possibly even murder. None of which I can morally object to necessarily, if it is purely an act. Or any wrong doings are brought to justice in this world or the next.

I attend a college with over 2 thousand students taking over 80 different courses. In just the 2 years that end American high school. This is what is known as 6th form college in the U.K.

And as such I meet and am friends with some people of very different religious beliefs. Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jews, Christians of all varieties and Muslims. One day a small group of us were in a local shopping centre forecourt when we were practically forced into a Scientology display. And to all concerned, (3 different 'sects' of Christianity, and one Agnostic) it appeared to have cultish qualities. I'm not saying that Scientology is necessarily a cult, but to us, from that one example, it seemed to be.

It got be thinking that one might find some more familiar religious 'zealots' such as Shaolin Monks or Benedictine Monks as a scary prospect. Those who believe so completely that they would forsake earthly endeavours and belongings, to devote themselves entirely to a particular faith and way of life. But these are established beliefs, and such practices predate the memories of anyone alive.

But still the question needs to be asked, is it pagan, or even infidelic to follow a religion so blindly, and is the acceptance and hierarchy that runs in these noble and predominantly archaic institutions a form of brain wash? Like the hype and mob mentality connected with festivals and mass gatherings that promote a feeling of connection between kindred spirits?

Indeed this is a serious matter, and one to put even the oldest of religions and religious institution on proverbial trial. The possibility exists that a common misconception might have been the basis of Judaism (or possibly an even older religion). That maybe in the deranged mind of a single person gave birth to the seeds of practically every well laid belief is established.
And it has been going on so long that everybody is blinded from a truth that they cannot conceive.

So I ask in conclusion: Are all religions simply diluted mass cults, which people have shaped and changed, thought the years? A system of control to keep us within the confines of certain rules, no matter how simple and varied. To hope against all hope that nothing is set in stone, you are being looked after from a father figure who metaphorically says 'misbehave and I'll spank you', and a life past the time that the frail human form will decay and end. An anthropomorphic personification of a power we can no better understand that rationalise? Or . . .
Everybody is right, everybody will ultimately get what they believe is coming to them. And whatever one truly believes is justified.

All I know is when the universe ends and existence is finally extinguished I will stand steadfast by my beliefs. And face whatever future or nothingness, awaits me.

Will you?

"The Coolest guy in the world, No Lying"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As to the cult statement, Anthropologicaly speaking a cult is a cult because it is not accepted in general society. It becomes a 'Religion' when accepted by general society. For example, "The Seventh Day Adventists" are a religion and accepted as such today, but they started off as a cult started by or ran by a man named Kellog (the cereal guy).

Cults normally have a fluctuating membership (as opposed to a Religions' more permanent members) and follow a Prophet with theoretical or original ideas.

They are best described here "The role these beliefs played in their lives, were the basis of their reality." Cults are normally described as cults by a person or persons who think they are too exotic, dangerous or marginal.

I definitly think Scientology fits into the majority of these catagories, although they normally have a steady group of followers.

I also know that that everyone, and every country has there own 'ethnocentric' view, simply, their own view of how the world is and what is right and wrong. If you take this in account, being a Rastafarian is seen by some as strange and unusual but by others as completly normal.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KrazyGamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
psst...legit "religions" are tax exempt. =D

"ablahblahblah."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like what Decius said - but add.

A religion inspires you while a cult controls you. They will use fear, pier pressure and intimadation.

While I'm not real familiar with Rastafarian. My wife tells me that there were some Christian religions still around from before the Roman Catholic church. Started by the Apostle Thomas. Maybe this is one of them.

But in truth, if you were a member of a cult, you would not be posting here, it would not be allowed. I was a member of a cult once. We could not read the newspaper or listen to a radio. Some churches are called cults (bunch of religious propaganda to me).

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Very good reply Okcity. A cult controls their people. In so much as whom they may associate with, what they are allowed to study or read with regards to religion, and being threatened with eternal punishment if they are expelled from their religion.
Some cults even use mind control to the point the followers are in grave danger.
Some cults, Like Jehovah Witnesses are now acceptable religions. They actually are but a part of the 7th day Adventists. One evolved from the other.

St Thomas was not recorded in his life after the Death and Resurrection of Christ.
This exhausts all our certain knowledge regarding the Apostle but his name is the starting point of a considerable apocryphal literature, and there are also certain historical data which suggest that some of this apocryphal material may contains germs of truth. The principal document concerning him is the "Acta Thomae", preserved to us with some variations both in Greek and in Syriac, and bearing unmistakeable signs of its Gnostic origin. It may indeed be the work of Bardesanes himself.

St Thomas remained under the Catholic Church, and is still venerated to this day as a Saint.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
Real Religion Or Cult?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy