Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How to do meditation at home?

User Thread
 48yrs • F •
sachy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I want to start meditating at home. Does anyone here meditate regularly at home? I have very high stress levels, always have and although I have done meditation with with a psychologist and also a yoga teacher before, I find that I want to be able to do this on my own. Is there a way to meditate without the need of an external stimulus guiding me through it? I am not a very calm person, so I worry that I won't be able to do it by myself, where I reach that calm calm space in my head. but if there's some simple way I could do this whenever I need to at home, that would help me bring down my stress level, I would do it whenever I need.

Please, I am open to your ideas.

39yrs • F •
athenalosey is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
First of all you need to sit on the floor and close your eyes. You need to evacuate your mind from all the thoughts. Try to concentrate at the middle of your both the eyebrows. Try to do this initially for 10 min then gradually increase the time.

things to do in nyc today with kids

39yrs • M •
Fedrik is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Yea it is so easy and useful mate, first of all have healthy diet. Set your fitness goals and manage your time. Yoga is amazing technique for relieving stress. Yoga poses are good exercise and can help loosen up the tense muscles in your body.

64yrs • M •
Wildling is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hi sachy. There's absolutely no reason why you can't meditate at home, on the bus, walking the dog or whatever. The one thing you have got to remember is that its okay if it doesn't work the way you want it to right away.

Your meditation belongs to you and it is only you who is going to be able to master it. Other people can only be guides. I would suggest that it is like any other skill and takes practice, practice, practice. And just like any other skill you don't have to be real good at it right away. The learning process itself can be fun and the more fun you make it the more you are gong to want to practice it.

Its your stress and you will find your release. Look into yourself and allow yourself to incorporate your own ideas in how to make meditation work, and don't forget that ones thought processes and the attitudes one cultivates can play a huge role in ones stress.

In short, be positive, practice seriously, and have fun.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pickup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Decius once again you dazzle

To add to everything he just said better than I think I could and thank you for educating us on the idea that the mind trains itself to use meditation as a calming tool when you need to use it, sort of like the ubermench sleep cycle trains you to enter REM sleep faster but I never made the connection with meditating,

I used to meditate but didn't have the patience to just empty the mind, Instead I like to think of myself as practicing active mindfulness. When I did I would focus on getting the deepest longest breaths possible that I still felt comfortable with and was told to think of thoughts in waves and to sort of ride on top of them. You start to be able to tell yourself this is just a thought or this is just a feeling and that way I gained a better perspective into my own thought, but I got impatient and stopped doing it as a habit

What I did pick up was smoking, a terrible vice that I am now quitting, but smoking sort of added a rhythm my breathing while focusing on the inhale and exhale, I noticed that it was sort of like a beat in music a cadence to focus on and bring order to chaos clarity to my moments of blurred perception.

I use mindfulness as a technique that I learned from Buddhism in a book called Sit Down and Shut Up. In it espoused a text of a particular type of Buddhism that said that we could all touch enlightenment at any time in anything we do. This mirrors DBT therapy techniques without the flaws and hypocrisy that gets lumped in when you try to teach DBT in a dual diagnosis unit to people that your also teaching the 12 step programs of AA and NA.

(specifically that Buddhism and DBT teach mindfulness which is saying that you can have complete control of your power of mind at any time and the 12 step programs based on Christianity that both say you are powerless to control your mind)

Which is why DBT isn't working on the whole but all this is aside from the issue.

The problem with complete Buddhist type mindfulness is that you are your thoughts in my opinion and your emotions are sub conscious answers to calculations that we can only understand through our language which can only describe so much

these thoughts are what you need to contemplate not nothingness like Buddhism teaches because Buddhism teaches you to have no worldly connection is search of an afterlife that life is suffering and to not be attached to it you will be happier (devoid of fealing a conduit of objectivity) and no longer be reincarnated.

We don't want that what we seem to really want is to be happy and to figure out a way to do so is to use your mind, practicing meditation sharpens this tool in my opinion.

"I like carl sagans spin on that, we are all made of the same stuff therefore we are all one and should love one another as an extension of ourselfs"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy