Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Gravitating Towards Perspective

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not sure of the best way to get across this idea, so might be a bit hazy.
I was thinking recently how (in my experience), when going through regular everyday thinking, I take perspectives which I instinctively presume to useful (or accurate I guess).
This gravitation towards perspective can easily be influenced by pressures, like time, importance, others relying on my comment, or the simple desire to see things in their true light.
It seems to me that in some cases, due to constraints, there is importance placed on accurate gravitation. Examples of this might be from relaying a message, acting on best guesses, or awareness of important relevant details (usually requiring apt perspective).
Sometimes I feel a slight lack of control, which bothers me...

Does anyone else relate to this?
If so, what's your experience of gravitating?

(I guess a concrete example may help, like seeing someone and remembering to tell them something important. Or, simply using self-talk well enough to get the best out of an experience. Sorry, said this would be a bit hazy...)

"There is no negative one..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From your description I do think I can relate. Check out this post from a while ago what you are describing may be related to one of my thoughts.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/80480/simplicity-is-key.htm

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 34yrs • M •
Modern life is different from earlier time. Because of remarkable technical advances, information is burgeoning, choices and alternatives are expanding, and knowledge is exploding. I this avalanche of change and choice, we have had to adjust, one fundamental adjustment has come in the way we make decisions. Although we all wish to make the most thoughtful, fully considered decision possible in any situation, the changing from and accelerating pace of modern life frequently deprives us of the proper conditions for such a careful analysis of all the relevant pros and cons. More and more we are forced to resort to another decision-making-approach- a short cut approach in which the decision to comply is made on the basis of a single, usually reliable piece of information because of the increasing tendency for cognitive overload in our society, the prevalence of shortcut decision making is likely to increase proportionally.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 46yrs • M •
I like to think of this idea in relation to the concept of the Universal Unconscious, and the influence of others on ones thoughts.

34yrs • M •
ok i was a little unclear on your description, i would like to here more of your thoughts on the subject because this concept seems very similar to my thoughts, but it is hard to convey ones point through written text

46yrs • M •
Sorry Cryptic, said it was a bit hazy... I guess it does relate to choice in some way. Sometimes though it's as if your mind chooses for you what to look at. Something grabs your attention, and you get pulled towards it.
I think the Universal Unconscious thing comes down to if a whole load of people around you are paying attention to something, whether you're interested or not, has the effect of pulling you towards that something, and paying some sort of attention to it. I think this is just one element of where gravitating towards something can have less to do with what you basic aims and desires are in a particular situation. I guess this may have individual consequences, and due to this, other people may not pick up on this (or understand what I'm going on about).
I think you're right about the overload thing, and the perspective gravitating at times of overload may be erratic and perhaps disorderly.
Something else connected to this (which I think you hinted at) was the certainty of information we deal with, and (what you indicated) the pros and cons.
One downside to my occasional lack of control related to gravitating seems to place me thinking of things I'd rather not (quite unpleasant), and when the gravity is stronger, it's harder to keep my mind away. An example of this might be myself being judgmental, where my reason tells me reasonably why someone is doing something.
I apologise again... I think this is still a bit hazy.
Please let me know if you're any closer to understanding.

36yrs • M •
neutralminded1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
reading all of this is making my brain itch....... it's a really bad itch to and i can't seem to scrach it.

so your basically saying that if a whole group of people where staring at a pile of dog crap, whether i want to or not, i am going to look at it.....i guess that makes sense.

also as a broader example if everyone was telling me to vote for one guy, the TV always had him on the commercials and i have never been told much about any other guy i'd most likely vote for the guy i at least know about.....sounds much like how elections work.

am i anywhere near understanding this or should i just never come back to this topic again?..... sorry but i am new to this site. i've never seen a forum where things are looked at so uniquely.

"in life, there is chaos. in death, nothing. fix the chaos, and in death you will find peace."
 46yrs • M •
Don't worry too much Neutral... This is one of the more hazy threads I've posted. A bit hard for me to gauge, compounded with not having something similar I've seen to relate it to. A lot of the other threads are clearer.
This is the only forum I've posted on, but still I think it's a very good one, despite my complete lack of alternate experience...
Your example of looking at dog crap is a more noticeable example, the voting one a bit more invisible... I guess the idea does apply to actions we're not really aware of, like choice of words, or line of thought...
Sorry all, still a little hazy on this one!

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think so many people are so busy nowadays, rushing around trying to do a million and one things that our brains just automatically make priorities in thinking and decision making. Like when you are driving to work in the morning and your mind is so busy thinking about the huge list of jobs you have to attend to at work then before you know it you've arrived at work and don't even remember the journey. Your brain shifts into auto pilot and makes the trip you've made a million times before whilst you concentrate on other things! Scary.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This sound a lot like attractors. I learned about them in the book "Chaos" by James Gleick. An attractor that's easy to visualize is a drain in a tub. When the plug is pulled the water will create a cyclone and funnel down the drain. No one can predict what any one particle of water will do or where it will be but we all know that it's heading down the drain. The drain is the attractor.

Does this sound similar to what you are trying to describe?

"The truth will set you on fire"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy