Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Simplicity is key

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Simplicity is key
I was thinking about how dangerous our fixed action patterns are. Fixed action patterns automatic/ non-reflective sequences...

In life we are trying search for things that make life simpler 'simplicity is key'

But I was thinking these habits are learned the internalized but over time we loose awareness of these actions and that means we can loose control of our actions. So we are now more easily influenced by individuals around us.

Scary thought what are you opinions on this subject?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 41yrs • F •
Girlbot is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Wait... go back to how you connected "simplicity is key" to automatic reflex.

Define sequences, please? Are you saying that our existence has simplified our being (by, for instance, the autonomic nervous system creates an urge that pushes our lungs to breathe as a form of survival), which could potentially be dangerous? If you apply that to something like intuition - are you saying our gut reactions are dangerous because people are able to manipulate them?

I'm confused as to how you are connecting the phrase "simplicity is key" to "automatic/non-reflective sequences" and what your definition of that is. Example?

"Truly exceptional people prefer to be on their own because ordinary people are annoying."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Cryptic i think i know what you mean, sometimes when someone says something and out of learned reaction we just respond by saying something that has been said in a similar situation. But by doing so may cause massive offense in that situation.

We do this with physical actions as well, the question i would like to have answered is do people like soldiers have the same automatic response with things like killing and injuring people. With very little thought of their actions until after it is over.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

quote:
Wait... go back to how you connected "simplicity is key" to automatic reflex.

The title is related because I was just trying to get across the point that we use fixed action patterns to make our life simpler i.e. "Simplicity is key"
quote:
What your definition of that is. Example?

In our lives we have to make many complicated decisions and we all have limits on the capacity for complexity. So we search for reliable short-cuts and cues aka fixed action patterns.

For example, habits you may do with out realizing it like twitching your leg and biting your nails you may not realize you do it but it could be a signal other can read.

quote:
Are you saying our gut reactions are dangerous because people are able to manipulate them?

I am saying they are dangerous because we don't realize we do the short cuts in our lives because they are so learned ands internalized that because of our lack of awareness we could loose control and be manipulated.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
Simplicity is key
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy