It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinions; it is easy in solitude to live after your own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

what religion are you and why

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Mr.T is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im christian because i want to be i want to believe in god and spread his word so other people can get blessed

"Yesterdays History Tomorrows a Mystery"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/76936/religion.htm#76936

This has already been discussed, so you may find that thread useful,

However as you asked, i believe that there is no devine religion, God is a figment of our imagination, and that there is no life after death that we have any proof of. I used to be a muslim, but decided to be an atheist last year when i just stopped believing fairy tales.

Peace.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 68yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Booky is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I embrace all religions of all kinds, and so I belong to none.

I find all have some truths and some errors so I separate the right from the wrong.

Even Atheism has some truths in it, and I particularly love Shamanism.

I even find it utterly ridiculous to confine a Creator God into some book like the Bible or the Quran or the Gita or Tao te Ching or the other Holy books, because each one has a part of the whole.

I see myself as a "Christian" first and Jesus said to seek the truth and I find He meant to really go out and seek it bigtime and not in some closed group.

"Courage is the key to all advantages."
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i'm not a religion, i am a Atheist because i believe if god is real then why does he let us make things like wars, suffering and poverty?

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NATuralMan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Examine simply history, and one will see that there are many Gods and Goddesses. The God of Abraham is among the youngest of these Deities as well.

However, IMHO, each and every one of those Deities indeed do exist, created by the concentrated will of many people over many years.

For all that we place them above us, Deities, including Jehovah, are OUR children.

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tracer165 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Forgottentruth
i'm not a religion, i am a Atheist because i believe if god is real then why does he let us make things like wars, suffering and poverty?

He has to give Satan time to reveal his true color so that all can see the difference between God's ways and Satan's way. This is why God does not intervene. He is not a God of force therefore He does not force His self on our lives. Only through prayer is He given the permission to do so other wise He respects our right to free will. If all follow Him then there would be no sickness or wars.
You sound like me about 15 years ago.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
He has to give Satan time to reveal his true color so that all can see the difference between God's ways and Satan's way. This is why God does not intervene. He is not a God of force therefore He does not force His self on our lives.

OMFG, are you fucking serioius?

God forced his self on our lives when he created satan and evil and loosed them upon the world, as you just displayed with the elegance of a surprisingly well balanced inebriated packiderm, you silly nincumpoop, and by the way, I'm afraid you may have downs.

I say these things this way because it makes me giggle a little and helps ease the pain of either my insufferable inability to understand and or your unfortunate inability to teach me.

Can you clarify something, you seem to be fairly familiar with the bible, were angels given free will?

And do you agree or disagree with the notion that god already knows the outcome of these little games he plays to teach us things that he could very well just make us understand?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tracer165 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ironwood,
for the answer to your post, you can read my answer in the other place you asked.
Now let me ask you something, I notice you enjoy putting people down on many post. Does this make you feel as if your smart? If you don't know how to give an intelligent response, why belittle yourself with the manner of responses that you so often choose? It just makes you look all the more ignorant. And if you really believe most of the things you reply, then I ask you again, what makes you think you're so smart? You say you have 52 months of comments, so how does that mean anything? It just means you have voiced your opinion for 52 months, not that anything you have posted or commented on is right or wrong, it just means you have commented for 52 months. Maybe you can explain to me and everyone else here why you think you're so gifted? Or why you feel your IQ is so far superior to that of everyone else on here because I got to tell you I'm just not seeing it all, in fact just the opposite. I'll even go one step further, your grammar is lacking any true structure, so I know it can't be that. And your ability to articulate a simple thought in a written form needs help big time.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Now let me ask you something, I notice you enjoy putting people down on many post. Does this make you feel as if your smart?

No.

quote:
If you don't know how to give an intelligent response, why belittle yourself with the manner of responses that you so often choose?

Your inability to percieve intelligence in a post or poster is not indicative of them lacking intelligence.

However, on the other hand, if there is intelligence in the post and the poster that you cannot percieve, it could very well serve as proof of a lack of intelligence on your part.

quote:
It just makes you look all the more ignorant.

How I look, especially to new people who don't know me, is of l no concern to me.

It has been proven time and time again that, for the most part, regardless of being nice or nasty people will favor people when they are in agreement and make negative judgements when disagreements occur when basing such judgements soley on attitude and emotion rather than actual content.

There are plenty, thankfully, who have ascended beyond being stuck in such a juvenile mentality, rather than like myself choosing to engage in juvenile behavior intentionally, and can openly and easily discern between what is being said and how it is being said.

quote:
And if you really believe most of the things you reply, then I ask you again, what makes you think you're so smart?

Who has made claims of me thinking myself so smart? Me? No, you. So your question is null and void.

And I'm going to address something, again, here now that I haven't had the chance in the past week or two due to work and computer issues.

The above quote has an generalized hypothetical used to illustrate a direct question.

This is quite unproductive, you do a lot, and I have been given reason to believe that you may not even understand what I'm talking about.

Nonetheless, if you want to tell me that you think I'm wrong about something or have a question about something in particular, you are going to need to specify and stop intentionally or unwittingly hiding behind your selective ambiguity.

quote:
And if you really believe most of the things you reply

Things like what?

quote:
You say you have 52 months of comments, so how does that mean anything?

Quite simple, hell, I'll even let you answer yourself with one of the only accurate statements I've heard from you.

quote:
It just means you have voiced your opinion for 52 months, not that anything you have posted or commented on is right or wrong, it just means you have commented for 52 months.

What would be fascinatingly ironic, but due to its common occurance in respect to the attempts made to converse with you, it is not, is that you were trying to call my statement pointless when it was your own that was.

And the only reason you felt you had a point, is likely due to the evidenced point that you didn't understand what I was saying, or else you wouldn't have been able to unwittingly answer your own question with my answer for me, and that you were assumptively inferring inaccurate meaning to what I did say.

Which again demonstrates exactly what I've been bring up to you about you since our first correspondence.

A point that has yet to be properly addressed because of your refusal to make specific and direct responses or any inquery of substance to add to your understanding of the situation before just digging in your heels to defend your assumptive assertions and generalized nonsense.

quote:
Maybe you can explain to me and everyone else here why you think you're so gifted?

See this, this is both pointless and childish.

If it were at least a contextually viable pointed jab with some relevance to any conversation that has taken place, it would serve a purpose, but since my intellect and "gifts" were never a point or claim made in any topic of discussion, it simply is not the case.

And it is made even more rediculous due to the fact that the only time you have asked such ingenuous questions was to try to question my qualifications to make statements of opinion, as we have agreeably determined, which is both sad and pathetic.

quote:
Or why you feel your IQ is so far superior to that of everyone else on here because I got to tell you I'm just not seeing it all, in fact just the opposite.

Wow, really, more?

Having insecurities about the size of your IQ?

Tell me, how does one SEE anothers IQ? This is a rhetorical question, by the way.

Again, if I had made any such claim, this question might mean something other than you projecting your fears of some threat to your own obviously dearly held perception of your own intellect.

As it stands though, it simply serves to...

quote:
just make you look all the more ignorant.

And to reiterate a point, as it would appear repitition holds some place of importance to you...

quote:
Your inability to percieve intelligence in a post or poster is not indicative of them lacking intelligence.

However, on the other hand, if there is intelligence in the post and the poster that you cannot percieve, it could very well serve as proof of a lack of intelligence on your part.

quote:
I'll even go one step further, your grammar is lacking any true structure, so I know it can't be that.

Thankfully intelligence is not restricted by knowledge nor grammar, even if IQ numbers based on excessively proven skewed and inaccurate tests are.

Which, by the way, I have no idea what my IQ is, and in case you are wondering, or sorry, more likely assuming, my point about IQ tests is not from my own assertions but from what I was taught by psychology professors, so take it up with someone else if you have an issue with it, I'm just relaying information.

quote:
And your ability to articulate a simple thought in a written form needs help big time.

Hmmm, tis truly difficult indeed, when someone just doesn't understand things in their simplest forms.

Do you know what a naturalman is yet?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Newemb is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Becouse of my grandfather am christian, but I dont believe in god. I dont believe in any religion. Why? Science. Its the only thing that has facts and today it stands strong even stronger then religion. Many people today leave the idea of god. They dont have time or just dont care. To busy living. So ye SCIENCE WILL SAVE US ALL !

"You either die a hero, or live to see yourself become the villain..."
 30yrs • F •
inXane is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I believe in God...sometimes and also jesus and the virgin mary. I read things from the bible and I pray. I don't know what specific type of christian I am all I know is I believe in the lord because....I want for something bigger out there...I want to know that after I die I may go somewhere else that there is something in this universe bigger, more powerful and important than a human...I need guidance and something to believe in when all hope is gone.

"They said that love goes anywhere, in your darkest time it's just enough to know its there."
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xdanishx is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i am not of any religion, I am atheist, if you wonder why im an atheist ill just say because im 14 I stopped believing in magic a long time ago

35yrs • M •
poordunce is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am part of the sheep reliigion.

Why?

Because I require a group-idenitty to feel whole.

I do not like thinking for myself--it hurts my brain!

I prefer to think about which Xbox games to buy, which brand of corporate poison to feed myself with.

I let the preacher-man tell me what spiritual beliefs are correct.

I do not like thinking for myself.

74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that The Real MacKay is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

TO: Mr. T

DEFINITIONS

Belief:
   to have confidence in the existence of something, without absolute PROOF.

Creation:
   --- the world; universe.
   --- the original bringing into existence of the universe by God.

Religion:
   a set of 'beliefs' concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when
   considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional
   and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of
   human affairs.

Mr. T:
I'm Christian because I want to be. I want to believe in God and spread His Word so other people can get blessed.

ANSWER:

What you or I 'believe' is irrelevant to FACT.

Your belief, my belief, their belief, etc. – cannot:

--- Create a God that doesn't exist.

--- Destroy a God that does exist.
                     ('God is dead.' – Nietzsche / 'Nietzsche is dead.' – God)

Belief is irrelevant to FACT.

Egoism and ignorance are the cause of human beings to confuse 'belief' for FACT.

Creation is an UNKNOWN.

Death is an UNKNOWN.

Human Existence is an UNKNOWN.

For millennium upon millennium, Mankind has argued about Death and Existence – without PROOF.

At best, all arguments are simply a mental exercise without a provable conclusion.

Yet, Mankind continues to breed and present this quandary to the next generation. That IS selfish and fiendish!!!

YOU cannot truly answer the two most important questions (Death & Existence), yet YOU breed and knowingly condemn children to DEATH. That IS maniacal egoism (abnormal).

NOTE: Don't take YOU personal, unless it applies.

Innocent Children should be your (the) concern.

Link:
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/20528/voluntary-human-extinction-move
ment.htm

"Diogenes (Sinope) Where Art Thou?"
 67yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that The teacher is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey Real!

Dude is this all you freaken know?

"It is the time of the reveiling."
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy