Truth is like the foundation of a building. To cover its lack up, you can build over it. But that only hastens the inevitable collapse. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Symbols

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Symbols
Sometimes people correlate a symbol directly with meaning. For example, perhaps something geometric like a cross, can mean something to do with religion.

This does not need to be so, as in you could decide to give a different meaning.

The benefit of creating your own meaning, is that it gives more control in deciding how to handle a situation (as it more on your own terms).

Where this is less beneficial is in communication, as there may be less standard symbols to use.

Perhaps, just using this in moderation, or only with self-communication, would be best.

If you don't fully understand why this may be useful, please ask...

"There is no negative one..."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/78553/the-mind-portalan-unresearched-
new-discovery.htm

Check that out. This is pretty much exactly what you're talking about but taken 1000 steps further.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 46yrs • M •
Thanks for the link ChrisD!

I had checked that one out before, and probably to my own disadvantage, I didn't take the time out of my busy schedule to read everything Jozen-Bo wrote... He did go into great detail, and the site which there were links to contained a vast amount of information.

I think it may be possible to at least simplify some of the things of which he spoke... Perhaps something that links to this thread... Maybe just take things a few steps further, and then go from there...

Any ideas how we can do that?

Just a note, in looking at Jozen-Bo's stuff, I just have a feeling that it needn't be so complicated, but I'm still amazed at the lengths he has gone to, and the depth of meanings that can be constructed from his system...

36yrs • M
The complicated stuff is usually the result of an "off-topic" question that was asked. The theory behind the Mind Portal is pretty simple actually. Jozen Bo gives out a 40 page manual on the MInd Portal for free, you can download it. There's a lot of good information about it there too.

46yrs • M •
No offence, but a 40 page manual seems pretty long, but...

Does Jozen-Bo explain things well? and

Is it easily applied?

Can you perhaps tell us a little about it, maybe how it relates to this thread in particular?

36yrs • M
"Can you perhaps tell us a little about it, maybe how it relates to this thread in particular?"

The Mind Portal is ALL about symbols. We're using symbols now to communicate thoughts to each other. Each symbol of the alphabet correlates to a sound which we have memorized. It's pretty much arbitrary the way each letter of the alphabet was chosen to represent each sound. They were based on earlier symbols that were used for something else I'm sure.

When making a Mind Portal though, all symbols are fair game, including the alphabet. You create a code of symbols to describe what you do during the course of a day. You might be saying now "But couldn't you just use the english language to describe the day?" And the answer to that is you could BUT it would be a very bulky way to do it. The beauty of using symbols of your own creation is that you can condense information a lot more (as much as you're capable of thinking of ways to do that.) Another added benefit of using symbols that correlate to things instead of sounds is that the mind can recognize the thought faster (because it doesn't have to sound it out) and hence "reading" is sped up.

The mystery about all of this is that Jozen Bo reports that when you spin this device (the days are mapped on a spiral calendar) after you have gathered a number of days worth of information that amazing things happen. That it's like figuring out the patterns of your existence. Once you know what it is you're doing and where you're heading, naturally you would have more control to change that direction to wherever you see more fit.

I haven't spun my own calendar yet, as I don't have a wheel, but I have a strong inclination that this isn't a scam. I can't think of any way Jozen Bo could benefit from conning people into constructing these devices other than wasting their time (and is that really a benefit to him?) But the biggest reason I have faith in this device is that it makes sense to me. The conclusion he came to has logical steps leading up to it.

46yrs • M •
Thanks for that ChrisD!
I think I see the link now, and a little better understand Jozen-Bo's idea.

I guess one of the things when I started this thread is being able to change your logical reactions to a particular symbol (if desired)...

I can see that this is possible to do with the Wheel, but it may change things a little... Is that correct? Or, is very much possible to make changes without it (sort of) setting you back a little?

I like what is going on there, but still wonder if there is a simpler answer, like a formulaic approach...

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The thing I find the most fascinating about symbols and symbolism is how it shapes cultural belief systems through mythology and such. But most of all I find it absolutely amazing how our own subconscious mind constructs its own meanings and uses of symbolism in our own nighttime dreams and I have found this an invaluble tool when trying to understand what my own psyche is trying to tell me through my dreams.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I see words as symbols with meaning. It is beyond me how the reader can interpret what they thought the writer meant. Why would the writer write anything he didn't want to say? Paul

Symbols
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy