There is no shop in the world where we can buy friends, that is why we treasure them knowing that we can never find any replacement over the counter. - sweetygirl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Are We Ever Free

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
Dime333 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Are We Ever Free
Can anyone ever be free?

"How can there be any logic in biological war"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No,

we are always imprisoned by something... its like..we are controlled by the government... by our consiouses,, by god.. by religion.. by people we love.by the media, tv adverts, family, money... desires.. . when you say free what i imagine is freedom to do what you please.. how you please.. when you please.. if that is your answer... then no.. not in our world.. not in this life.. maybe we will be free when we die.. perhaps.. nobody has come back to tell us.. and even if they have.. nobody bloody told me.. But your question was quite open.. so perhaps you can state what you mean by free... well what is freedom to you?and is being free even such a great thing...

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 45yrs • M •
pentupentropy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Would it really be such a good idea for anyone to be completely free? You don't think that might be a little self destructive?

34yrs • F •
I think so.. like i said at the end would it even be that great... i mean it would be self destructive.. if one was completely free.. away from rules.. any kinda control.. ideological.. or whatever.. then they would be free to do what they please.. and people usually dont know whats best for them due to their lack of experience.. ect...and not just that.. if everyone was free it would mean that they were free to hurt others if they wish to... which people would.. and then a;ll that would happen is that everyone would realise.. and then instill some rules.. so back at square.. uh 2?...

33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The idea of freedom is a consept conseved only in the mind. For one to be free, I believe that one needs to look beyond just what other people can do to constrain someone else. Things like forces of the universe I.E. gravity, physical form and so on. The secound part to being free is how one goes about conseving thing. How you comprehend them,everyone thinks differently there for we must all be have some level of what we think freedom (is at least for people who live in country that allows such rights to be taken atvanage of), but beyond that I have never met anyone free of predjudice and absolutly excepting of all things around them. People that can value a spec of sand as the same as their life, with out thought all is equal because freedom is equality to everything. Lastly the consept of freedom if applyed to the word total one would be free of emotion good and bad, hunger and pride without these whats the point of total freedom. You'd have nothing feel freedom towards. (Just a shallow thought)

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Death is freedom, ever one and every thing becomes equal. That equality is balance and balance is what frees one from the constraints of reality.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No-one can answer this because no one is free. And if they are dead they are not free because 'they' by virtue are 'not'.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sky1234 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
eea...but what is a world that is all free? how would that world be??

i guess if there is no consequence on any action of any kind than we can be truly free...

anyone got any 2 cents on that?

"Beware of the dog"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that isilomir is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A world that is all free would be a world with no boundaries. In a literal sense, that means we could all move in any direction we wanted to regardless of gravity. In a figurative sense, it would be a world where rules did not exist because everyone, as you've said, would be free to do whatever they wanted regardless of consequence. This can never happen however, because the consequence of an action you take can limit the freedom of another. Therefor, the only "free" world in that sense is a world where people take no action at all.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 78yrs • M •
jimxcore is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What do you mean by freedom? I don't believe that the steps we have taken to give ourselves freedom is freedom (id Bill of Rights, etc etc), just comfort. We are all free to do what we wish, but we have to deal with other peoples actions in their doing whatever they wish. If a person wished to punch someone in the face, well they could, but would have to deal with that person's reaction in doing what they want, fighting back. Government is just the same idea on a larger scale. If someone wanted to rob a bank, they could! but people have collectively agreed on how to respond. I don't know honestly this is a very broad topic. My answer is no and these were just my random thoughts about how it applied to our world.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that doom123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
true freedom is chaos. hail eris.

"if life has no point whats the point in talking about it?"
 34yrs • F •
I was walking home today and it was around ten PM, and i felt free because nobody was around, and all i felt was the wind on my skin and i watched the sky above me as the clouds swam by, and everyone can be free, in their minds, not everybody will be but sometimes try it, sit back and think i dont care what anybody thinks, or what anybody wants me to do, Ill just enjoy this moment, i felt that was freedom, away from the clutches of everybodys expectations, it may not last but it was sweet for the few moments it embraced me. Freedom. Its peace, its extremely beautiful. Its being carefree, it is being a child again, well not like me as a child, but the way we imagine it to be. When your greatest concern is that a fly sat on your ice cream. A dream. But its not how i want to live, its like music, it cant take over your life, because its not real. Where am i going here? Do you know? Can we ever be free forever, no, can we be for a few moments within our minds, sure. Does that count? you can bet your wife's shirt it does mate. Try it. Just stop worrying, It doesnt matter, you need to pay your bills, its ok, your wife doesnt love you anymore, its ok, but only for a moment, oh yes its escapism. That is freedom.

Peace.

42yrs • F •
beastofengland is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
although you're saying that you0're not free because of the govermental structure, moral, etc, you're free to chose to follow it or not, for example you can kill a person if you feel like it, or do whatever you want; but the fact is thaat there are consequences to those acts that you may like or not. i believe that we ARE free, we just don't like it.

42yrs • F •
beastofengland is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
now that i think about it, the only thing that imprisons us is love: love entraps us in thinking that it's a spontaneous and free emotion, but the fact is that it's actually not. i belive that once you start caring about something or someone (not necessarily a lover, it could be family friends etc) and love them, you're systematically imprisoning yourself, because you woudn't want to do anything that could harm them (if its truly genuine). for example, i wouldn't travel all around the globe and dissappear if i know hat someone i love will suffer because of it, or i would probably deprive myself of doing certain things that i enojy doing if one of them is not happy anbout it. if we do it, we feel guilty, therefore we're not free because although we do what we want in that situation you'll never enjoy it because you know someone suffering for it. if you do, you probably never loved them in the first place (maybe you just felt fond of them), so it can't be considered and example. i think it's a question that for me it'll remain unanswered .

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We're free enough to question. We're free enough to have much knowledge or little. and still have more to seek. We're free enough to want. To want more. Or less. We are free enough to limit ourselves. Free enough to impose on someone elses freedom. Free enough to share freedom. Free enough to give, and to take. We are free enough to realize we are free. And if we havent, we are free enough to find out.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
Are We Ever Free
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy