Why do we fear the dark when all it does is conceal everything we see when its light? - spankster501
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The meaning of life

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that DerHawk is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The meaning of life
hey everyone. ive been through a lot of things and most of you probably have as well. but there is one question i keep asking myself. "What is the meaning of life?"

"a dream is but but another false reality"
 42yrs • M •
gkokm21 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
life is for human is mainly about the pain-pleasure theory.
the other similar theory is the sensation-brain theory.

we live, grow, learn and play because we have senses and we have a brain that remembers, think and create.

we live on the basis of avoiding pain and seeking pleasure. to do that, it a complex task. first, we have to create an peaceful world if we want to have a world that is safe. hence we need peaceful organisations. by making world safe, we reduce the chance we get injured or killed. injury leads to pain. killed leads to end of self. hence both are bad things.

on the simpler case. we create pleasure for ourselves by eating delicious food ornd a partner who you can have sex with. We also avoid pain by not touching the hot kettle.

some people believes in doing things that give s them a sense of satisfaction. lets say in a job, a person loves her job because there is satisfaction in it. what is this satisfaction? in pain pleasure theory, its bascially a feeling fo pleasure.

if you look at the policemen in the street. how do you relate the pain plaesure theory to their job in the society. if we do not have policemen, more crimes will exist. we can get hurt by criminals leading to loss of money or pain.

42yrs • M •
gkokm21 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
like many other things
learning how to minimise pain, increase our pleasure, and prevent death is a endless journey because there are so many things in the world.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just a quick thought, that there are bodily cells for pain, but neuro-chemicals for pleasure... and that it is possible for them to co-exist... the idea of compromise...

also, as I've mentioned before, sometimes you need to go for your meaning of life from moment-to-moment...

my purpose in life is (I think) centred around my consciousness of what is happening, and achieving a (which could be unsaid) goal...

meaning can be limited to understanding, reinforcement is a form of bringing understanding, eg. when someone says what you did was 'good'...

I'd advise checking previous entries on this topic...

Have a nice day!

"There is no negative one..."
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that DerHawk is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you guys have a point, but you know when everything goes wrong and you just want to curl up and die, but when you get what you want later you get bored of it? thats the main root to my question. have you ever experienced that?

"a dream is but but another false reality"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
meaning of life questions seem to come to purpose. the purpose of your life is to sustain it. the meaning of your life will be decided by others. or not, i really dont know.

"dont got one"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PhilipMui is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
meaning of life is what you perceive your soul and purpose to be.

"Thy Lovest Soul"
 38yrs • M •
nomeaning is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Who said there was a meaning of life? No one has ever told me there was one, the way I see it if its so important to have a purpose - decide it yourself.

"If you can’t / won’t change it, accept it."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A meaningless question.

40yrs • M •
DEBATED is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Earth is a small meaningless rock. On that rock you can find human beings. Our purpose? we have none. We are here because of the relationships to love have fun and enjoy this gift that we have been given. If you think about it the odds of being born into this world is unimaginably rare like 1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
So Be thankful you are here and make the best of it cause you only have one shot to do what it is you want and its now.

30yrs • M •
Markh is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have no idea what the meaning of life. I've thought about it, but I can't come up with anything

36yrs • M •
CriticalRunner is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I can tell you what a few thinkers have determined in the past...

Blaise Pascal: “There is a God shaped vacuum in every man's heart.”

To God, St. Augustine... "You awaken us to delight in Your praise; for You made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless, until they find rest in You.” and "With Thee is rest entire, and life imperturbable.”

CS Lewis... "if I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

Ecclesiastes 12: 13...
"Now all has been heard;
Here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole of man."

Every single one of these men seemingly lived a life of pleasure and were not filled, they all found their fulfillment in religion, and more specifically Christianity.

Just throwing that possibility out there...

"What is Truth?"
 42yrs • M •
Alfam is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The paradox of life has proven that man has lived, man lives, but man will not live. We can stand still and look at our lives and say, “I have lived”. We have experienced our lives and seen it go by, we have taken in the most intimate moments that the Divine Father has rendered to us. We cannot complain and say that we have not lived. For we have numerous memories that haunt us everywhere we go and thus we say, “I have lived”. To curse the world while looking back at what we were aught to do and be has a dramatic impact on our present lives. Yes we do look back for a sense of inspiration, but just for that help that will elevate us into the eternity of NOW. The destiny of Man has collided with a most unfortunate force, Death. In the ultimate quest to live, we must die and it is only through death that we can fully know ourselves. Life is not the absence of death, so in Man's continued pursuit to live forever, he has encountered numerous complications. Life is never the same once you stop and look back at the things you have done or thought you must have done. The things that you have now are not the same things that you had yesterday; you are not the same person today. In all we have done we have looked for flaws in our make. We have tried to justify our actions by being people we are not. We are individuals; uniqueness is the very instrument that has shaped us.

I am the very man I thought I would not become. I have become the one thing God has destined for me. We pain and slave for recognition where ever we go, but we do not realise how unique we are. Our uniqueness guarantees us the opportunity to be recognised, how and wherever we are. It is the difference of individuals that brings growth within a society. Man has been granted the ability to distinguish himself from the world and stand apart from everything else. We were made in God's image, in God's uniqueness of Love. In an attempt to be recognised, we must first acknowledge ourselves as different and purposeful individuals. We must step outside our shell and view the world as an entity, completely connected to everything that is in it, and around it. The shell of society stops us from becoming our true selves. We are tied down to endless strings and struggles, and we have lost sight of our purpose and our God. Let us step aside, let us take a breath from this nasty air of society, and die and be reborn.

"Do not worry about moving mountains and conquering worlds. You have conquered the Universe in just one grain of sand"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The paradox of life has proven that man has lived, man lives, but man will not live. We can stand still and look at our lives and say, “I have lived”. We have experienced our lives and seen it go by, we have taken in the most intimate moments that the Divine Father has rendered to us. We cannot complain and say that we have not lived. For we have numerous memories that haunt us everywhere we go and thus we say, “I have lived”. To curse the world while looking back at what we were aught to do and be has a dramatic impact on our present lives. Yes we do look back for a sense of inspiration, but just for that help that will elevate us into the eternity of NOW. The destiny of Man has collided with a most unfortunate force, Death. In the ultimate quest to live, we must die and it is only through death that we can fully know ourselves. Life is not the absence of death, so in Man's continued pursuit to live forever, he has encountered numerous complications. Life is never the same once you stop and look back at the things you have done or thought you must have done. The things that you have now are not the same things that you had yesterday; you are not the same person today. In all we have done we have looked for flaws in our make. We have tried to justify our actions by being people we are not. We are individuals; uniqueness is the very instrument that has shaped us.

I am the very man I thought I would not become. I have become the one thing God has destined for me. We pain and slave for recognition where ever we go, but we do not realise how unique we are. Our uniqueness guarantees us the opportunity to be recognised, how and wherever we are. It is the difference of individuals that brings growth within a society. Man has been granted the ability to distinguish himself from the world and stand apart from everything else. We were made in God's image, in God's uniqueness of Love. In an attempt to be recognised, we must first acknowledge ourselves as different and purposeful individuals. We must step outside our shell and view the world as an entity, completely connected to everything that is in it, and around it. The shell of society stops us from becoming our true selves. We are tied down to endless strings and struggles, and we have lost sight of our purpose and our God. Let us step aside, let us take a breath from this nasty air of society, and die and be reborn.

I just thought I would point out how good that last post was.

33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PhilipMui is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
very intellegent

"Thy Lovest Soul"
The meaning of life
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy