When your mom says try it you'll like it, you probably won't like it. - trumpy303
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What makes people so angry about the Christian faith? - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For those times when scripture-based Christians try to back out or give up on someone when asked difficult questions/ issues, then according to the bible, christians must patiently debate.

"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
1 Peter 3:15-16

quote:
why is "do not commit adultery" ill-founded advice?

Human's natural state is polyamory and endless suffering results from our suppressing this powerful sexual instinct. A few religions allow multiple wives - do Christians want to offend them?

quote:
the 10 commandments (ie book of leviticus), they are social rules that almost all modern christians would tell you are not the word of god. i challenge you to find any christian who follows the rule about not shaving the hair on the side of their face.

See this is what pisses many people off, that the fact is that the old bibilcal text is overwritten by the new, and a common Christian arguement to say why they aren't as significant now is that it was designed for a nomadic society. Likewise, it is obviosuly seen that the new testament was clearly written for a roman and Jewish audience, so even parts of the New Testament are ignored because it is not relevant to todays' culture. The 10 commandments are supposidely instructions for christians. Realistically, some are merely advice. I challenge any christian to isolate a single moral "absolute" that isn't a contradiction for in the very same book. For instance, in the bible it states "do not steal", yet later in the book we see that people have stolen, under direct orders from God.

quote:
religion is just somewhere they are written down in broad terms
See thats where the problem exists.Cynic, I know what your trying to express, in that all Human beings within their societies gravitate around certain morals. But the problem with christianity is that the reading of morals from the Bible involves in all situatutions a judgement of which morals you find most important - In particular you have to choose which text is most important morally, at the expense of other contrary morals. Which defeats the purpose and intentions of the biblical text in itself. In addition when studying the bible your imagination is forcefully used in order to arrive at any moral at all because of its frequent obscurities. The FACT is, and I think we can conclude together that, as far as religious texts go, they have all been written within cultural contexts and at specific times, sometimes edited over a period of time (such as the Bible). You can't ignore that fact, because the bible has been written according to its historical and social context. In the latter case we end up with a text that was written during times when different morals were dominant amongst society. The other FACT is that the bible is not ONE set of morals. It is many books written over a large time scale and therefore is an agglomeration of different morals from several different cultures. As a result there has been the obvious appearance of many many obscurities and contradictions with the morals laid down within the bible.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im glad we agree, but my other point is that it is not just christianity that has such problems. look at sharia law in islam, to our eyes that seems backward, but due to indoctrination in their countries it doesnt seem it too them and as it is not law in this country no-one notices it. christianity is a minor insult to people in comparison to the absolutes set down by some others. all relgions have commited crimes against humanity (as have most no religions ideological groups), christianity has however ceased to do so.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well as I initially stated- when discussing the reasons for the outrage against the practices of faith it is important to consider as it not only focussing on Christians, but the morass of irrational doctrines. It would be unreasonable and naive for one to consider christianity is a minor insult to people. Christianity, (amongst other dogmatic practices) is responsible for a significant part , if not the largest contribution to faith-based religions (christianity- ~33%, Islam- ~22%, Hinduism- ~15%) in conjunction with the establishment and claims of irrational, unlogical feebleminded absolutes.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 32yrs • M •
The_Wanderer is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
You are a genius, I must say, Summit.

""The purpose of life is to end""
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jesus is widely accepted around the word as a great teacher. Rarely however is his teachings so highly respected by the Christian Church. Rather, his teachings have been trumpted by the teachings of Paul who never even met Jesus but claimed to see him in a vision.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to point out that perhaps the greatest flaw in Christianity is the abuse of authority which relates to the general lack of comprehension of bases of the masses of it's beliefs?
During the first cenuries from its beginning, one can not find much blame to lay upon Christians?
If this is a reasonable summation of historical fact then when did Christian belief have wide spread (support) impact upon mankind to produce those ills which you attribute to Christian Beliefs?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • M •
blupigan is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
its an extremely simple answer as to why people dont like christians. i havent read every post so excuse me if this has already been said. but christians believe that they are right, and not only are they right but they are right for EVERYONE. christians throughout history have declared their religion correct over others. in africa the 'white mans burden' of feeling as if they have to convert people to christianity to help them. its the part of christians processes that believe they are helping someone by changing them and not consdidering the values of their beliefs.

its like someone kicking your ass and taking off your clothes, putting on new ones and saying "there arent you happy i made you look nice, im glad i helped you out and youll be glad one day that i did too. trust me"

its not so much the idea that they believe their religion is correct for everyone, but the pompousness in how they act out that idea on other people and justify it by saying they are helping them. my clothes fits my point to a T

"i love you"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good point blupigan, historically the disciple's were given to convert others (the Great Commission) but note that they were to go to the Jew first to teach, if or when they did not recieve the teachings then they were to go to the Gentiles and teach. If they were not interested in receiving the teachings then they were to go on. Christian beliefs were never given to be forced upon anyone.
After the fall of the Roman Empire (during what is called the Dark Ages) Christian beliefs (religion) was turned toward the present attitude that force is an acceptable. Mostly, what transpired is those seeking to carve out their own kingdom used the Christian Religion (Great Commision) as justification (sanctification) of their actions.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
What makes people so angry about the Christian faith? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy