Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is religion?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is religion?
first off, no religion enters this thread... no saying "god made it so," let's pretend that god doesnt exist for a moment, i dont care if you think he does... just pretend that he doesnt, you wont go to hell for pretending... *cough* okcitykid *cough*

now then, what is relgion, how did it happen, and how did it gain so much power. Enough power to cause wars, to cause the sacrifice of life, to cause the corruption of thousands.

NOTE: i know you're like "BLAH RELIGION DOESNT CAUSE WAR! OR CORRUPTION!" if you think that, guess what, let's pretend it does, because honestly if you believe that, you're one of the corrupt brainwashed, but that's besides the point... because for this thread you'll be pretending anyway.

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
NOTE: i know you're like "BLAH RELIGION DOESNT CAUSE WAR! OR CORRUPTION!" if you think that, guess what, let's pretend it does, because honestly if you believe that, you're one of the corrupt brainwashed, but that's besides the point... because for this thread you'll be pretending anyway.

And you are sure you are standing in a position where you are not corrupt and brainwashed?

But to answer your question, religion is any belief you follow and adhere to. It could be your belief that money brings happiness. You pursue money at any cost. That is a religion.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The term religion is oriented with the essence of a supernatural being, thus money cannot be a religion.
It can be a belief, persay.

I think that religion is just a concept just like santa clause.
Some random person just thought of something and thought it would be cool if it were true and eventually it was taken as true through here say and deception.

It gave people a invisible reason to live there life in a way that they normally wouldn't. They get pissed when people tell them they are wrong and kill. Thus the vast amount of deaths that may be tagged to religious influence.

This seems like common sense to me.
Although a belief is a belief and I am not saying its not possible. That just what I think. Its just here say that was taken to far.

Think of all the different religions, some of them HAS to be wrong because not all religions can be true if you are using your logic (possible not the best idea right?).

Not all can be right, albiet they all can be false!
I think there is a conflict of logic.
Should a person use logic in this discussion or discard it?
I don't know, ttyl.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 48yrs • M •
you are right in saying not all religions can be true. All can be false but it is not possible for all to be true. They all have absolutes that exclude others.

According to the dictionary - religion, amongst other things is "A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion."

Money can and is indeed a religion in many peoples lives. It is the thing they pursue more than anything else in life. The drive for power is another religion.

35yrs • M •
quote:
And you are sure you are standing in a position where you are not corrupt and brainwashed?

yes

i basically agree with what zato said, but to sum it up... People are stupid and need something to blame other than themselves... blame something for the good, and the bad...

I do, however, disagree on one point you brought up. there is no truth nor fiction to any religion, they are all the correct religion, and they are all the incorrect religion... a religion is for an individual... it should not be practiced by a group. that's when people die.

NOTE: i am in no way an athiest or an agnostic, i know exactly what i believe. Being an agnostic is worse than being an athiest, when being an athiest at least you believe, even if it is in nothing.

37yrs • M •
You see one thing I have never uderstood is this:

1. People who believe in God use logic to live there life and teach there religion. They use it to worship and study.
They use it to prove a point and discuss how they god is so wonderful and just, but the very concept of god himself is illogical. lol

So my question is, where does your logic stand?
Why do you pick and choose when logic is acceptable?
How can you use logic to describe god when he is illogcal?
This just doesn't make any sense at all to me.
*head ache* much luv all.

48yrs • M •
quote:
Yes

And you can be sure how?

If you think all religions are equal then you havent understood any of them. All of them are exclusive in some way!

48yrs • M •
Logic is always applicable! And who says the concept of God is illogical? What is your foundation for that?

37yrs • M •
You know, I just wrote this heartfelt reply and I got an error.
I cried for days..lol
Anyways I guess I'll rewrite it.
I really don't want to get into the logic vs god topic.
But I will..again. I think summit was always better able to explain this compared to me.

Lets start with,
1. God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omni-Present and Benevolent.
2. God can do anything. As quoted in Matthew.

If god can do anything can he create an object to heavy for him to lift?

3. If he CAN create it, then he can't lift it, thus he can't do anything, thus he is not god.
4. If he CAN'T create it then he can't do anything, thus he is not god.

You see how you can't "apply" logic to god?
If the concept of god is applicable to logic then God does not exist hence the above conclusion.
I thought this was known by everyone... Guess not.
If you want more on this explaination seek out The last leg for atheism thread and read summits post on the 4th page.
Atleast I think that is where it is.
Later babes.

35yrs • M •
quote:
And you can be sure how?

If you think all religions are equal then you havent understood any of them. All of them are exclusive in some way!

First off, its not that hard to be sure... ill let you ponder on how, its very insitfull to think about...

second, i didnt say all religions are equal at all. they are all VERY different from eachother... i said all religions are RIGHT. I'm not talking about a church, or the pope, or anything like that... those are wrong because they are not religions at all. a true relgion has no temple of matter, your mind is your temple... everyone's religion is different, and they are all right. i bet if you ask 100 christians, they will all have different beliefs. Go ahead and do it... get 20 questions from the bible and make them yes or no. 90% will say, "well, sort of yes, but i dont think... blah blah blah" and the other 10% will either say "yes" or "no" but NO ONE will have the same results.

ready, GO!

35yrs • M •
Also, to the logic thing... that's interesting, but acording to my belief it doesnt matter, however id like to hear more... =)

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
what is relgion

first off, no religion enters this thread.

You ask a question, but you don't want to hear the answer - what is that all about?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 48yrs • M •
Can God create a rock He can't lift?
First answer this question: Can a xlqp make a btzl that he can't lift? You probably think I lost my mind. Let me explain.

If God is All-Powerful, then He obviously can't create this rock. Does this make Him not All-Powerful? Is God crippled by the fact that He can't cripple Himself? No.

Can God sprain His ankles? If He can't, doesn't that fact limit Him? Of course not. God is Perfection--and to ask if Perfection can make itself anything less than perfect simply makes no sense.

"But," you may persist, "If He can't do it, does that make Him less perfect?" Well, in the Jewish tradition of answering a question with another question, can God make a square circle? What in God's name is a square circle? The question is meaningless. Can God make meaningless things? No! And because He cannot, does that diminish from His Perfection? No!

In short, the answer to your question is simply "No." God cannot do anything that would make Him imperfect.

That is why He is God.

Lifted from the following site:
http://www.askmoses.com/qa_detail.html?h=419&o=237

37yrs • M •
quote:
Can God create a rock He can't lift?
First answer this question: Can a xlqp make a btzl that he can't lift? You probably think I lost my mind. Let me explain.

Thats my point, its not supposed to make any sense.
Thats why it is "illogical".

quote:
If God is All-Powerful, then He obviously can't create this rock. Does this make Him not All-Powerful? Is God crippled by the fact that He can't cripple Himself? No.

So we have come to the conclusion that he can indeed not do anything. And the Bible has indeed lied to everyone.

"Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.""

quote:
God is Perfection--and to ask if Perfection can make itself anything less than perfect simply makes no sense.

Thats my point, its not supposed to make any sense.
Thats why it is "illogical".

quote:
In short, the answer to your question is simply "No." God cannot do anything that would make Him imperfect.

So we have come to the conclusion "again" that he can indeed not do anything. And the Bible has indeed lied to everyone.

"Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.""

35yrs • M •
quote:
You ask a question, but you don't want to hear the answer - what is that all about?

to realize what religion is, you must look at the question objectively... that is why i can't have people tainted by religion trying to answer the question.

i dont wanna read about your damn god... i want to know what religion is, which no one has truely answered yet.

What is religion?
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy