Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Language/Subject Manner - Page 2

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My problem was with your stated idea of telling but not doing.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 39yrs • M •
300 people should each concern themselves with not offending eachother.

39yrs • M •
If we took care not to offend each other we would cut down the offenses. Sure it is easiest just to say and do whatever you feel like, but a little effort to achieve unity should be worthwhile. Empathy must be proactive, if change needs to occur then do it yourself.

[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But it's impossible to not offend anyone when you say something, so if you really don't want to offend ANYONE, then shut up.

"He who does not question is lost."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it may be impossible to not offend anyone, but perhaps instead of worrying what others would think, just dont use potentially offensive terms in any context or conversation, then you dont have to worry about offending those people, and they dont have to get offended by you.

as for the black person calling another "my nigger" that holds none of the same connotations as a white person saying it, due to the fact that it does not have any history behind it when a black person says it. most black people would probably tell you that they would be offeneded by you saying it, compared to another black person saying it.

as for other stereotypes, while they may not have as strong a meaning as "nigger", they may still be offensive to people. just out of interest why do you say "nigger" or "chink", is there any reason? if there is no need to use something potentially insulting then don't, simple as that.

as for not saying anything, someone is bound to get annoyed with you for not replying to what they say

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ithink mostpeople look for reasons to get offended .
its like when someone says something like
"man this ice cream is cod."
i could say
"your mom is cold!"
and if they were stupid enough, theyd get pissed off.
i think that people hear something that they should be getting pissed off about so they make themselves get mad.
its not that they neccesarily are mad. just that they think they should be.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
what is the need for you reply though?
people get annoyed, because they assume you are trying to insult them. if someone insults you you get annoyed. unless you were suggesting that the person mum needs to put on a sweater or something, how else can they take it other than as an insult?

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
because it is clearly light hearted and meant to be a freindly remark.
and you pretty muched just helped my point out. its not that they are insulted, more that they think we are trying to insult them when we say "nigger."
if they would just get over themselves, we wouldnt have a problem.
now i know this makes me sound like a racit, but i never say, or even want to say, nigger. so dont think that.
but im talking about people in general. why cant they just let things go like that. but no. they would rather get pissed off about every little thing because they think it makes them more like a man, or tougher, or some shit like that.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
i agree with you, people arent annoyed by the remark, butby the thought that you are trying to insult them. but i would say that it actually annoys them, rather than them just feeling they should be annoyed.

the light hearted and friendly remark comment however brings up the whole, right situation debate. and then the worries bit. would you not agree that it is easier to not make comments that may insult at all, than make them and cause insult, or try and only make them when they wont insult someone?

35yrs • M
for me.. sometimes. but if i feel like saying something and i hide that i feel that i am not being honest and truthful. not to that person, but to myself.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Insults are a form of expression. Insults are a way to be honest. But if you cared more about building bridges, then you wouldn't use words or phrases that will cause outright anger.

Plus, you can't always tell the entire truth. Part of being intelligent is adapting to the situation. Speaking a way the other person will understand and accept what you say.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to say my opinion is that people shouldn't use racist terms.
First of all whats the point?
Second of all why take a chance of insulting someone.
Third of all, if you use the words because they are "funny" think about why they are funny. Is it because people get pissed when they hear it or something of that sort? Or is it funny for no reason?
For me, angry people make me laugh because they loose all sense of rationality and become nothing more than fools who yell. That seems to be the only reason I can find that would make a racial slur funny at all but even with that said I still think it is pointless to even use the words at all, unless of course you are intentionally looking for anger.
Well thats just the opinion from this here guy.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 35yrs • M
quote:
Plus, you can't always tell the entire truth
yes you can. i do it all the time.
quote:
Part of being intelligent is adapting to the situation
sure. but i dont see what that has to do with me insulting someone.
quote:
Insults are a way to be honest
not always. sometimes its a way to piss someone off. some tiems its a way to express anger. some times they are a way to get a kick out of someone. hence the your mom jokes.

quote:
First of all whats the point?
look upward.
quote:
Second of all why take a chance of insulting someone
because i probably dont care what they think.
quote:
Third of all...
its funny for a reason. but that snt the only reason why someone would do it.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So then you don't actually care about the person you're insulting. You only want to express your opinion and leave it at that. That's alright. I'm all up for honesty, but if you want to take it one step further, but there are better ways to show a person that they're an idiot without actually calling them one. If you wanted them to improve, you can show them how their thoughts are lacking in certain areas. I think this will lead to a better result compared to name calling.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I didn't mean that those wee the only reasons why its funny, for instance when it is just ridiculous. Or out of no where.
What ever the reason. I still think it is wrong though because it just seems negative in the long run. Oh well.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
Language/Subject Manner - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy