If you want to know a man, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. - YoungWarrior
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Human relationship with the 'Higher Power'

User Thread
 32yrs • M •
The_Wanderer is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hey at my school I'm revered for my wisdom and infinite powers, not my words, theirs, and I have to bow to you two. Reading your posts got me thinking to a level to which I've never gone, and I need your help with a question.

What is a human's relationship to a higher power? Doe such power exist? Can it be reached by searching oneself?

Thanx I'd really appreciate it if you'd gimme your thoughts.
-
-
-
The Wanderer
-
-
-
P.S. Other people are welcome to join, please do!!!

""The purpose of life is to end""
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I must start off by taking a bow. Life is a stage and we are all actors.

"What is a human's relationship to a higher power?"
To some a higher power would be a god or such entity. The relationship to such a thing I believe is illogical because for something to be as grand as the christian god would be equal to that your body to your finger. At such a point all sin becomes offset.
As for more classic ideas of higher powers... sure there could be great beings playing with our heads... but I wouldn't go so far to worship something like that.

Now if your asking from more of a buddhists perspective... then I'd have to say that all people have the potential to become buddhas and obtain enlightenment. The road however is different for all people. And in all truth though there is enlightenment as I believe, there is no way to escape the self.
The self which is your personality... your body... your ego... is what makes you you. In all known reality you are nothing more than the systematic formation of energy. Like fire just more complex. The consciousness however imho is singular just like the universe and all its particles. It is only divided to a degree by the self. Of course the self is transient. We all die and the isolated consciousness dissipates.

As I have come to realize... the more self aware one is the more alone one is.
"Consciousness begets issolation."-Sleepingwraith

"Dark and silent and complete."
[  Edited by Ancient at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
the more self aware one is the more alone one is.

to a point i would agree, however when you become truly self aware you begin to understand the connectivity of all things. while you may seem alone you begin to realize that everything and everyone is a part of yourself, therefore losing the capacity of loneliness.

Summit is gone for a while, supposidely.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
Yes wyote I agree with you on that but realizing that you are connected means nothing. I feel connected to world and at the same time I feel a deep seperation from everything.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
how about we start here.
why do you want to reach that power?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
Yes decius (oh and wb) but it doesn't end there. The isolation I'm refering to is when you ralize you can't connect to things like you might want to, because you are a consciousness you are no longer at peace with the balance of the universe. Self-awareness does create a since of lonelyness but that is only on a social level. Go further and realize that you cannot feel what the rock is feeling you cannot be anything else... can't feel anything else but yourself. Knowing that you feel and that you think are all fine and dandy... and knowing the connectivity of the flow of energy which is our existence is great too. Being a buddha and feeling at peace with this connection is one way to go. However, I'm searching a different path so to speak.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know I have not also achieved this deep level of awareness that some of you speak of, but I know I have realized certain things within myself and all external existence.
I do feel a powerful separation with the world, albiet I feel a subtle, yet amazing calmness lying somewhere deep in me. Its just need to find how to engulf myself in this at will.
I guess that is my path persay.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 35yrs • M
is that why the pursuit of knowlegde, in things like biology and shit that isnt really forthe "thinking path" neccesary to finish the path? because i have been fighting with my self on this one for awhile..

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you have to know everything about everything in order to understand something. very frustrating.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can't say I ever really feel isolated from the world but I know in brief periods of wondering or thinking I can sort of disconnect things. Like the objects revolve around you not you revolving around the objects. I rather enjoy this but usually never stick with it because once the reality of work or school kicks in I don't think twice about it. Any advice on how to continue these feelings longer and perhaps more often.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M •
Your missing it decius, having knowledge and empathizing with something and pretending to know what it goes through is all together different. You cannot feel what the rock is feeling.

The ascetics would do what your doing. But pretending to be something and actually being it are two different things. I know the rock is a part of existence just like myself and in all reality we are one. But consciousness seperates us.

35yrs • M
i really dont think thats what he was saying. i think what he was saying was that if you learn more about an object, a rock, you will naturally empathize with it more. and i think that is kinda how it goes down. from personal experience.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sorry if this is no were near right but doesn't this sound a lot like Scientology? Idk just a thought because I was actually skimming around the net and came across that. It sounds a lot like what is being discussed here. ^o^;;

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 35yrs • M •
Yes you empathize with it more. But that's not what I was refering to.

35yrs • M
ok. i get it now.

as far as scientology goes, thats a fucking ridiculous religion, just like every other religion. first of all, it says that it will never betray you unless you betray it. directly before stating this, they say that too many time has man been betrayed and that is why he is always feeling bad.
im not going to go into it, its not worth it.
heres the site i readhttp://www.scientology.org/en_US/religion/index.html

thats not what we aer talking about. that is a study of the path. the "science" path. the science path is not the thinking path. it is the path of knowing.
my path, the thinking path, i think at least is about understanding. and there is a difference.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy