Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

opinions on democracy PLEASE!

User Thread
 47yrs • F •
canadagal is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"Democracy is the best form of government for all the world's inhabitants."

do you agree or disagree with this statement and why?

thanks all for your responses!

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well personally I disagree. I think certain countries run better with democracy and certain countries run better with a communist system. I think this mostly because of the education of the world. Certain countries have well educated people and thus the people know what they want in a government. But other countries don't have the education to elect a proper government. In which case they should have the educated people making fair decisions for them under communist rule.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well in the right hands it can be a very productive goverment and help out the country alot. However in the wrong hands such as Bush you get a country thats getting fucked up by one man or women. Other then that democracy is not all that bad but can have its flaws. And as Jones said Communism might work better in some areas due to education and what not.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are 50 men all talking. One man says 1+1 = 2. One man says no; 1+1 = 100. All the others (48) go with the more convincing man and agree 1+1 = 100.

The one man is right. However, they decide to be democratic and place a vote. The man who is wrong is voted in.

Theoretically, democracy is wrong.

It depends if the propogating person ir group of peoples is right in the first instance. Thus, any democracy is grounded in belief; foremost. Its a case of how good the intentions are first of the founders and second on how th practice is set about.

There will always be outseiders who dislike where they live. So long as the grounding is well set then democaracy is the best principle because it maximises the greatest numebr of right actions to the most numebr of people.

""No words""
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1 + 1 = 10, right ?
quote:
There are 50 men all talking. One man says 1+1 = 2. One man says no; 1+1 = 100. All the others (48) go with the more convincing man and agree 1+1 = 100.
binary system therefore they are all wrong?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 41yrs • M •
haha...very apt here.

Evolution, evolution.

If you wish to be absolute, everyone is wrong. However, if there is meaning to this life then it must be in accomplishing some goal, albeit deductionist or productive, but surely, if this is the case, we should work towards a plurality of contexts to sieve the neccesseties?

There is order of what is accurate and what is not. Something like truth is that which works.

To use the example, clearly the people who say 100 probably wont back it up well.

Then we have decimal versus binary. We've become acustomed to decimal...10 digits at the end of limbs. But binary works better when applied to technology. So which wins? Well thats a debate isnt it? They are both logical...question is which serves the best purpose?

""No words""
 72yrs • M •
Aw man . . . should have made that post here! It seems to fit right into the 'spirit of democracy'
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=59587-u-frmid=23#60158
Heard about the flam'im bush address? Some say that National Security requires non-divulgence of information?
Well, if they are going to lie about those things they are forced to tell [give reasonable explanation] then what to hell do they do that they don't say anything about? So why bother to listen so you can listen to lies?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Democracy is more the art of persuasion for the more people you persuade to vote for you the better your chances are of winning. For instance when people argue it isn't necessary the person with the stronger arguement that wins and infact a better or good persuader can win with a weaker arguement. To the common eye that's who they vote for the person who puts forth the best arguement to vote for them.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You must first have an ideal, for instance: Equality

So everyone is equal, communism would fit in there good.

Lessons learned: Power corrupts

So no one person should have to much power but several should have equal power representing a few to the whole - Congress with time limits

Because we're not alone in this world, we need a representative who will represent us to the world - a president who holds no power except what is granted to him by congress.

How do you choose this president and this congress if all are equal. To vote would mean that one was better then the other.

A lottery commission set up to be fully transparent to the people for inspection, to choose those who will serve in these offices for a period of time, anyone can be selected except for disability and age.

That would be my system. Controlled by chance rather then family, money or deceit.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Excellent idea, the only problem is sure the presidents power is limited but what about congress.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 64yrs • M •
What about Congress?

How much power should it have? and how should it be controlled?

or

Do we make it simple and trust in chance and time limits.

Some people may not want to serve but be required to like being called to serve in a jury.

But you can add your ideas to mine - that's what originally made America great.

50yrs • M •
russm24 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Strongly disagree.
A true democracy could never survive. Over a period of time the voting masses realize that they can have anything they want simply by voting for it and not working to earn it. Thus the Democratic Republic, where people elect representatives who will serve their best interest.
The masses have concerns such as paying the gas bill, spending 8 hours a day driving a truck, repairing a computer, or raising children. They can not be expected to make informed, intelligent decisions on how to maintain the economic, security, and international concerns of a nation, they don't have the information or the time to interprete the information to make beneficial decisions. So you elect someone who you think will serve your needs the best and then make decisions on your behalf for your best interest.

"nope"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
A true democracy could never survive . . . Thus the Democratic Republic, where people elect representatives who will serve their best interest.
Ya but it is that last part: representatives who serve the people not their (the representatives) interest that is the Catch 22 in the (democracy) democratic republic!

64yrs • M •
How does one trump money for the people in a global economy.

Ofcourse a global economy could work if everyone had an equal vote in its process, but it don't work that way.

41yrs • M •
If your not a leader; pray you've got a good one. If you are a leader; be a good one. Instead of asking 'why' why not ask 'why not'?

""No words""
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy