Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

I Got A New Theory on the Human Mind - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What I'm saying is that the body has physical limitations but the mind doesn't. Anything in the mind can be solved by the mind. The body can't always solve problems.

and how do you know that?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well awakend the body obviously has limitations. I'll restate my last example about touching the sky. The mind can cause a problem of wanting to touch the sky. But your body can't create the physical strength in order to accomplish it.

But I think you're trying to tell me about the Socratic method of we know nothing through the constant analysis of questions

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we are really going round in a circle here. i suppose that is nothing new for us, but still. can we clear up what we mean by
quote:
any problem it can think up.

does this mean, any problem that the mind can invent say mathematically etc, or does this mean any problem that the mind could concieve the body encountering. for the first i believe the original quote holds true, but for the second i dont think it does, there it too much requirement on the perspective of onlookers, nothing is ever a problem for everybody (unless in the sense of a mathematical problem where problem means question)

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
well jacker, i know you have probably been under a rock for awhile, but have you ever heard of a "space ship" before?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
So how is jumping to the sky the same as getting to the sky through a space ship. You didn't jump to the sky the space ship did.

35yrs • M
no. but the problem was dealt with. and if you mean litterally, how about dreams. that is how we deal with most our problems.

36yrs • M •
true, but there are still practical situations which we will never be bale to deal with. eg looking inside a black hole.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
it has been dealt with because you have accepted it will never happen. see. no more problem.

36yrs • M •
Being stubborn about something doesn't make it more possible.

36yrs • M •
is acceptance that something is insoluble a solution? i dont think so, it is just acceptance that the problem is there and that you have to live with it. hence the human mind cannot solve all problems or not practically at least.

35yrs • M
fine. it can deal with any problem.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well the human mind CAnnot solve this problem.. which is to think of something irrelevant to its train of thoguht.. is that possible (and also irrelevant to snse experince)... all of our thoguhts.. wait there has to be some creativity thoguh.. i guess i cant deny that all of our thoughts are like.. relevent to our genetics no matter what..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jacker and Cynical are right - the original quote was:
quote:
Thu human mind is capable of solving any problem it can think up.

The key here is "solve". In the black hole example, the problem is to figure out how to look into a black hole. Accepting the impossibility scenario may put the mind at ease, but does not solve the problem.
As an aside, can the concept of "solved" be interpreted as, "The problem is solved if the desired end-result is met"?
If so, then any method that would eventually display a visual of the inside of the black hole would solve the problem. I won't go into the solution of such a problem because we do not yet understand all of the physical laws that apply to this situation, but I do believe that the method exists, and will be evident to humanity at some point in the future.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 36yrs • M •
thankyou, you have put down clearly what ive been trying to say throughout, hopefully that makes more sense to people than my inane ramblings.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The deal with problems is how best to define what is being encountered. An ill-defined situation cannot be solved as it makes little or no sense. The better the true representation the more it can be dealt with. Not all that goes through the mind is well-defined. Yet to have a situation promising of more to be onfolded is at least the start to getting there; a well-defined situation is more easily acted upon. One should watch out for things that may lead you down the wrong path.
The question may well be how does the mind define things and how can we enhance that through correct expression and thought. What were you thinking of?

"There is no negative one..."
I Got A New Theory on the Human Mind - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy