Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What If Everything Is Fake And You Are The Only Thing That Is Real? - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just for a thought on solipsism (as this is what the thread is about), if you were the only real person, then wouldn't you already know everything? We are searching for answers which means that we do not know everything which means we cannot be the only real person. I also read by someone on this thread that maybe you could be conversing with different parts of your own mind. Another thing that could drive a person insane. Not to sound cliche but this was my two cents.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Whom are you expecting to answer you? If you are expecting an answer there must be someone other than yourself in existence! Rather a silly question to raise.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The idea of you is the problem.

In classics we have mind, body and spirit.

But this can relate to a person, or the universe.

Instead let us assume that the body is matter. And so in order to function it needs other matter. Through a little bit of thinking, using the conservation of mass, all is matter.

Second, we have mind. The mind is informative "conciousness" it arranges matter for example into ordely laws.

Third, we have spirit. You (yourself) is a spirit of one large spirit. It has the capability of infinite possibility, but has arranged itself into finiteness during this lifespan?

I dont really know if the above are correct. But I'm fairly confident my buddy is not me in this life. given its restraints. Either way, I'd like to think I'll get a bit more out of this life than just assuming its just me

""No words""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Petesmith.. another part of his mind..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 69yrs • M •
Wagggggy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
He expects to answer himself because if he only exists then he's everyone, including me and you. Which means your response (or anyone's here) is all one person. (Which is him..... Or actually it's me and i'm talking to myself.)

[  Edited by Wagggggy at   ]
 45yrs • M •
post799 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Oh my God! I am glad I am not alone! Since I remember myselfe 3-4 years old and older I had that feeling that everything is not real but just me.I remember being like 4 years old and go back to a room where I just was just to find out that my parents didn't stop talking or doing what ever they where doing because I left the room.
I am reading a lot of stories from nderf.org and they are very interesting.People report what they saw after they died and came back.

45yrs • M •
post799 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think I actually figured out what is going on. One of the reports is on that website is about a woman who died, left her body and went to heaven. She had choice to go back(being reborn) to a civil war era or 1936. She actually was put for few seconds to civil war time and she didn't like it.God put her back in our time according to her report.
I think at this point of my life - is a video game, where when I die, it's OK. I will get another chance. People around me are like video game characters, however it is real for them too until they die. Once you die, you're out of this particular game and back into another one, that might take place on different planet or back on Earth. I know it sounds crazy, but what do you got to explaine life?

47yrs • F •
Dren is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If everything is fake but you, then everything is real but you. You are real and you are not. What is described as thought or feeling cannot be real beyond the person who is thinking it or feeling it. So in that sense I am real... and you are not. Even during events of hightened awareness, when you think you are linked to someone else it's only imaginary, it's what we want so we push our minds into believing we "connected" to another being, when actually it was only real to the idividual.

"It is me it is we it is I its the"
 43yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Karmapolisa is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that "I think therefore I am" means that we exist in our mind. thats all its saying. i guess it could mean that if i think something about myself, it is real....or it could mean that If Im witnessing myself thinking then there is an I that exists as a witness to this thinking. I think that its simpler than that though.

"If I had your physiology, your prior experiences, your family, your body, your life, Id be doing exactly what you are doing."
 31yrs • M •
sergio..v is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thats just a theory its not proven to b fact or unreal, some believe it some dont, every little head is a different world, we all kno many things that r real, but i believe that there r more things that we dont kno that r out of our comprehension avilities, but even if all the world doesnt exist n its just something that its in our mind that we can feel taste n smell is the most real thing ever cause its the something that we believe in and if it wasnt real at all there would.b no reasson at to believe in it

38yrs • M •
absolute2986 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i have thought that is what god would be, and we live in his mind (if you wana call it a mind) but you get the point, nothing is solid, just a buncha thoughts that we feel as real. imagine everything that exists is all part of the same being, like when you dream at night the people in your dreams are not real but what if they for the time you dreamed of them also thought they were real, but they only exist for that time you dreamed of them... something like that anyhow

32yrs • M •
xaeft is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
To me this post raises another question, What is real?
Real: (what I think it is)
Something that is represented in it's purest form, without any distortions of any kind. This includes any modifications any mind makes on objects for visual feedback.

I don't know what reality really is, but I have an answer as to why everything might be fake.

Well, first off, this 'solipsism' theory seems to make me curious about something: If you are the only thing that is real, and everything else is fake, then what is it that you sense around you?
Well, if this theory is true than it is probably safe to say that everything around you could be considered an entity of some sort. This entity could easily be considered as nonexistent, thus allowing someone to believe that the entity is fake and only you are real.
However, I also see this as denial of one's perception. Being in denial could be another explanation as to why everything is fake.

Before you read my final words, consider the fact that you can interact with other entities (living or dead) and confirm through external sources (not from your own presence) that the interaction was genuine. (this sounds kinda vague...well, I tried)

So, to counter this, most people simply accept what their senses perceives as real - until some new idea springs up to mess things up again.

"ut proverbium loguitur vetus..."
 24yrs • M •
Daimon is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everything is fake and I am the only thing that's real.

Then I am the measure of all things,

and the main relationship to build in my life is with myself.

Therefore, though I cannot prove that all I experience is more than a thought of mine, everithing concerns me as a part of me and I have to work to make it better because that would be improving myself to be completely HAPPY!

Like any philosophycal stance or religious belief, solipsism is just another supposition we can choose to support our practical reason.

I enjoyed this topic, all everyone said was interesting to read.

"Exigua pars est vitae quam nos vivimus."
 42yrs • F •
'What ifs' can be 'fun' to hypothesis, but the important 'what if' questions are ones that serve to shed more light on reality and truths about the world. The 'what if' question in this thread, seems to fall in the entertainment category. Sure, it's possible that everything is fake and you're the only one that is real, but what scientific grounds are there to test this question - none, so its irrelevant.

A point to note, the idea that everything is fake and you are the only thing that is real is a very narcissistic point of view - if you're the only one that exists then what necessity is there for conscientious reactions towards another person (for they would just be a figment of your imagination)? There would be no need for it and hence no need to be responsible towards another person, and you if were contentious/responsible, it would ultimately be for yourself. Based on this rationale, then the idea that everything is fake and you are the only thing that is real, is horseshit according to me. As human beings we ultimately strive towards love, both towards ourselves and towards others. It does not make sense that the one thing we are innately driven towards would exist in a world where there is no necessity for it.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
quote:
'What ifs' can be 'fun' to hypothesis, but the important 'what if' questions are ones that serve to shed more light on reality and truths about the world. The 'what if' question in this thread, seems to fall in the entertainment category. Sure, it's possible that everything is fake and you're the only one that is real, but what scientific grounds are there to test this question - none, so its irrelevant.

I realize that I did not communicate what I actually wanted to in the first part of my previous post and that what I did communicate is actually incorrect. This topic is not irrelevant at all. What is irrelevant is most of the responses in this thread - its like a group of people regurgitating other people's words without adding any of their own original thought to it, quasi-intellectual bullshit I believe is the term. It's boring.

Now back to the topic. I am very interested in finding a logical argument that basically displays that the odds are against the idea that 'everything is fake and you are the only thing that is real'. I want to find the hole in this idea. The second paragraph of my previous post is a good premise, but I want to come up with something less arguable. Because I find that I myself can argue the point I made with this question:

Is it possible that if everything were fake and you were the only one that was real, that you would feel lonely and void of receiving & giving love with another being like yourself, and as a result create manifestations of love and non-narcissistic realities - in essence give rise to a reality innately driven towards contentious reactions as compensation for the narcissism that comes with being the only real thing?

And so my initial argument falls short because it is possible and I can't debate the likelihood because it is unknown to me.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
What If Everything Is Fake And You Are The Only Thing That Is Real? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy