Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

a question - Page 2

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
be more specific regarding what you are confused by, perhaps it can be clarified; the origins made more stark

"dont got one"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Knowledge is the existence in a cybernetic system of a model, which allows that system to make predictions, that is, to anticipate processes in its environment. Thus, the system gets control over its environment. Such a model is a personal construction, not an objective reflection of outside reality.

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wisdom consists of making the best use of available knowledge. Wisdom is intangible collected through experience. Wisdom is the knowledge of causes: why things are the way they are. A wise person has alot of knowledge relative to the 'norm'. I think wisdom is determined by reason, experience, knowing people, and empathy.

On the other hand Intelligence involves one's mental capacity to learn, solve problems, reason, plan, think abstractly, and comprehend ideas and language. Intelligence is one's cognitive ability.
Heres one credible approach to intelligence:

Intelligence is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings-"catching on", "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

IQ tests are among the most accurate (reliable and valid) psychological tests. Intelligence quotent (IQ) is a hypothetical construct. What IQ tests don't test is emotional intelligence which is just as important. Also remember the genetics and environmental factors that contribute to intelligence.

So obviously wisdom isn't measured through a hypothetical human constructed test, yet wisdom can be 'measured' through observation and reasoning. Here is what I think are the important criteria of determining wisdom within an individual. Overall I do believe that a 'wise' person has a lot of intelligence. A wise person has a 'good' philosophy; that is a balance between what is good for one's self, for other individuals, and for society. A wise person can identify and to analyze the core issue and come up with a credible solution. A wise person helps people gain understanding. A wise person also does reality testing; an internal self checking mechanism. A wise person does not reason through egocentric thinking, as this is the opposing force of reality testing. A wise person has self discipline; to consistently do what should be done, without anyone making you do it. It does not come naturally. We have to learn to do it.

Finally take note that 'intelligence' and 'wisdom' are not opposing forces. They are interelated.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe a person is perceived as "wise" when the decisions they make or information they give connects with those around them in a real-world sense.

For instance, a grandfather is wise to a 6 y/o boy when he smiles and winks and tells him that he got in trouble the same way when he was that age. The grandfather may not appear wise to the scolding parents until they see the marked improvement in their son's attitude and the love he now feels for his grandfather, and they realize that the grandfather may have understood something they did not.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good point tommybc98. I think what you mentioned would describe wisdom often found in Holists, where they appreciate the importance of life's interconnectiveness.

Also beyond gaining wisdom through experience and reason, there are other paths to achieve wisdom. Some can gain wisdom through intuition or spirituality as well.

Confucius stated that wisdom can be learned by three methods: reflection (the noblest), imitation (the easiest) and experience (the bitterest).

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We do have a test for wisdom. All the basis for any wisdom is common sense or logic and that can be tested with an aptitude test A wise sage just applies a lifetime of experiences to good old common sense, simple as that

a question - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy