Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Art of Zen - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But you wouldn't be able to feel any emotion at all from any of your senses... One could not possibly fathom the thought of what that would be like; The softness softness of the pillow would be non existent.

One could perceive senses that evoke emotion from looking, hearing, smelling the pillow. Yet if touch was absent, then yes- this feeling of texture/shape/temperature of the pillow wouldn't exist.

quote:
If this did ever happen you mind would try to compensate for that missing emotion by 'pretending' what that emotion is [If you were able to feel emotion before]

This scenario occurs with blind people, who previously in their lives had sight. Yet in regards to the 'touch' sensation, your mind may not be able to compensate the absence of touch. In a more practical sense, reality of sensing the pillow would seem intangible. Being able to remember the individual touch sensations of different objects such as the softness of the pillow, is an important factor in determining the ability to imagine what emotion should or can be evoked.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Atlantis5 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The koan is 'Mu'. Thats it, try to reason through this one
When a Buddhist student is assighned this koan, you have to think about it day and night, thinking about it even while you do other daily chores, until it becomes a part of your being, until it penetrates you to your very core, until you are in intence frustruation because you can't figure it out.....and then like a explosion you will awaken and become one with 'Mu', existence itself will manifest itself as Mu, (wat I m going to say has got something to do witht he answer, and I shouldn't be saying it since the answer of a Koan should never be told, you yourself should experiance it only, but since most of you don't pratcice it wouldn't do much harm) the fan won't be rotating, 'Mu' will, the clock doesn't tick, Mu ticks, the bird's chiming, the blowing wind, the rising sun, all Mu Mu Mu!

I always knew cows were trying to tell me something important.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives you the test first, and the lesson afterwards."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know like 3 people that can clap with one hand... lol
Funny huh?

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
The Art of Zen - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy