Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous - Robert Heinlein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

fashion - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chrissie2006 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Decius, I believe that fashion is an art form, but depending how you look aat it. When you see fashion shows and stuff you may think to yourself, Wow, that is a really ugly outfit that nobody in their every day life could wear. But when you really think about it, somebody sat down and put a lot of time into creating that peice. No different then an artist with a canvas and some paint.

Fashion is a way of expressing yourself. while you are right to say that most people dress a certain way because that's what they are expected to wear, you cannot argue that fashion is not art.

"Dont complain that roses have thorns. Instead, be thankful that thorns have roses."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that for the better is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a band member from jet? wow. thats kinda... sad... fashion victim aye?
fashion exists, get over it? fashion will always exist,but what i am discusted with is judgement. what you wear doesnt determine who you are. think hollywood and middle schools. very much alike.

41yrs • F •
it may seem to you that they are glitzy parades. and yeah most of them are but my friend is a fashion designer who actually incorporates art and emotion into her designs.

41yrs • F •
ha no i am not, but i am sure that she does study effects of color and emotion. i remember one time she created this one 'outfit' made to represent her childhood. with things such as fabric from her childhood couch, the color of her first car ( with accents of its interior inside the garment)and yes even fishing wire.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fashion itself is not evil. Some people's appreach to it is destructive.
I have never been a follower of fashion and sometimes I have been ridiculed for this reason. That's sheep misdset makes it very hard to be different. That's the insecurity of human nature and it happens over all sorts of things from people reading "the right books" (I refuse to read the De Vinci Code on principle) to social drinking/smoking. This is the real problem.

I like Harajuku fashion. People using fashion and creativity as an escape from stress. I do that. When I feel down I wear something I find fun, or with good memories associated with it, to cheer me up. I don't find anything evil about this.

I do find it appauling kids are made to feel inferior of they don't look like photoshopped models though. That is evil. Appearance is empasised with girls anyway.
Add impossible standards and disaster follows.
But this is about making money. It really is. But this skin product and that handbag so you can be cool. It's about selling but fashion is by no means the only culprit but perhaps one of the most personal as it puts all the importance on appearance.

No offence Decius,, but you sound like a guy dragged on one too many shopping trips by his girlfriend.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Timmo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
might i say from a high school students perspective fashion is all that matters to some people. You could be ridiculed for a tag on the back of your shirt that names the brand. Girls in particular ridicule others for what they wear. although fashion can also be a social thing

"There is no such thing as innocence obly degrees of guilt"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The root issue here is conformity. Fashion is just an extension of it. Fashion in itself is not evil. It's like a knife, as Cynical said. What matters is what you're going to do with it and why.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Like Decius said, there's a difference between conforming and sharing each others views. Conformity is blindly following without a reason. Conforming to a good thing isn't bad, but it means that you don't do it because it's good, you do it because your friends do it.

There's nothing wrong with being mainstream. It's a pattern like any other. As long as you are aware of the good and evil in it and choose consciously, and not only because your friends are into pop culture.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's pretty clear to me the fashion industry are nothing but a bunch of hustlers. They hustle those who lack confidence. It's that simple. What people wear is a sensitive issue so people take the safe way out to avoid touching those sensitive areas. How? They buy name brands, trends etc. People only wear fashion so that they feel confident they simply know it looks good because others walk with them. For instance take tie-dye t-shirts. If I saw anyone wearing one today their someone I'd rather not associate with. But, back when they were in style they were the hip happening people. Conformity happens because it's profitable. When selling something like fashion you want to appeal to the largest group possible not individuals. Which is why individuals are the hustlers and conformists are the hustlies.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fashion is not evil, the fashion industry however, arent exactly the best of people. they commit dylight robbery on a global scale. for no other product would you pay four times as much for something that does exactly the same just because of a label. but yet people will pay £20 for a t-shirt with a little black tick on label, and mayb on the breast, where they could get one almost identical except it has nothing on the breast, and says matalan on the tag.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's not robbery if you agree to it.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
fashion - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy