Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Wake up and discover that God never existed

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am sure this has happened to many as it did to me.

What if one day you woke up and discovered that your 'God' doesn't exist? Once you woke up you discovered that your belief system; your true purpose to life is fake.
What would you do? Would you move to a new religion or philosophy in the hope that it was true? How would your way of life change?
For some this moment could be enlightening but to others it could destroy your whole inner soul and way of life. This realisation could enlighten you to new discoveries far beyond the myths of mainstream 'religions'.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
True, but they may also drop into the depths of dispear, especially if their religion was the only thing keeping them positive by making them feel important.

Some people will never accept a truth, no matter how blatantly truthful it is, if iit gets in the way of them being special.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
one could also wake up and discover the exsistence of God. would/could this narrow a persons way of thinking? realizing the truth that is god is more complicated than realizing god is a falsity. if you do discover God, you must still accept God.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That did happen to me, but it wasn't a bad thing for two reasons.
One I wasn't very religous to begin with, and two I found that I could think about things in a more rational way.

"He who does not question is lost."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And let us not forget, that it is still 'god' - by what ever name an individual knows him as - that stops some from commiting crime and doing as they please. A heck of a lot more people than those who use 'god' as an excuse to do things(You know who I'm talking about).

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that happened to me, and it woke me up, God is not a being, he is a 'role model' by which we pattern our lives in what seems a futile attempt at salvation. I now pattern my life on the philosophy of 'do what is right in your own mind.' not to ring any bells.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 37yrs • M •
Waking up to discover the existence of a 'God' could (or would) narrow one's thinking. We humans fear the unknown. We want to explain our deity. And as a result we search for a 'God' who has the answers or reasons. Thinking that we know (truth), when actually we do not, is like a special sickness to which most people are prone to. What we can explain, we can control and be god over. This control is rather narrow minded.

Waking up to discover the non existence of a 'God' can broaden thinking and open the mind to new possibilities; to recognize all personified deities as being mere human constructs. It can almost be a path to enlightenment by discovering that life isn't about following a hypothetical 'spiritual god'.

37yrs • M •
Any more thoughts people?

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You could say what would if you woke up and realised God did exist.

Again I still cannot see what God is...no defintion seems suitable.

Nonetheless I will state a few of my thoughts.

1) Its fear that people react to not love
2) What came first religion or politics?
3) Can you create something out of nothing?

Taking the first 2: we could say logically it was politics, not religion that started off religion. But then we cant say that God did not have intentions for politics: firstly becuase if there is no defintion for God then we can fit Him in pretty much at random.

Anyway the third point still goes either way and I still don't know what God is here. As always this brings up more questions than answers. Problem is philosophy and religion seem to take over where our human capabilities cannot see. However I will say that whatever God is I am sure we cannot see it because it operates under a higher law and we only see certain fragments or dimensions of that.

""No words""
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you are operating, summitsolo, on the preconcieved notion that God doesnt exist. if He's made up then it makes perfect sense that realizing that fact would be the recognision of a lie, and thus enlightening. however, what if you are wrong, and He does in fact exist? then, waking up one morning and saying, 'god does not exist' would be a lie and thus would have the opposite effect, since you would be coming out of the truth and into a lie. why are you so darn sure that there is no God? do not assume that atheists are more open minded then Christians. what if they are wrong, and christians are right? then who is closing their mind to the truth?

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that MizzXplicit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
see St. Jimmy.

i was kinda always a religion trasher...

btw wats with all these "God" threads? meh...

"how.empty.of.me.to.be.so.full.of.you"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, this is for religious threads, and God is rather important to religion.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 37yrs • M •
Secret07- someone who realises the non existence of a god doesn't strictly entitle them as an athiest. There are many philosophies that accept or are sceptical that there is no 'god' ...just look at Agnostic philosophies.

I think that being in a state of religious devotion and reverence to a 'God' is being sheltered from the 'real world' of belief in 'non piety' philosophies. One who does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist is rather more open minded.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
One who does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist is rather more open minded.

So another way to put open mindedness is to say one who doesn't accept or reject the laws of gravity is more open minded than one who says the laws of gravity certainly do exist. Well then I choose to not be open minded..

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
quote:
So another way to put open mindedness is to say one who doesn't accept or reject the laws of gravity is more open minded than one who says the laws of gravity certainly do exist. Well then I choose to not be open minded..

why compare gravity with religion? obviously the forces of gravity have pulled your decision to not be open minded.
Issues of the existence or non existence of a 'God' are incredibly complex and difficult to judge. Yes, sometimes it's better to not be open minded and instead take a side or opinion. what im trying to come across is, that, everyone is biased. However sometimes it is better to be open to knowledge from both sides (and/or explore new realms) rather than closing in on a mainstream belief (ie. major religions) and hiding away.

1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy