Ignorance is bliss. Intelligence brings pain. Why do we strive for intelligence? - shadowcult
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Dreams... useless or amazing - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This topic is very interesting to me. I have always had very detailed and "lucid" dreams... I have, in fact, experienced at least bits of dreams or images from dreams later on in life (sometimes more quickly rather than years into the future) but I am going to have to go with scientific fact on this one. Dreams may have connections with real world events, but this is all by CHANCE. When you are dreaming you are visualizing information that cannot be harnessed during sleep, so it comes into your imagination quickly and randomly. You are not in control of HOW you take this information in, so your brain is working as simply as it knows how to work: by creating scenarios based on these visualizations. I am not sure if there is a lot of science to back it, but this also may be an explanation as to why nightmares wake people up easily. When something scares me, I know that my first instinct is to think of how to protect myself, which could spark enough brainpower to wake a person up from sleep.

This also could be a reason dreams are forgotten so easily. You are not using enough brainpower during sleep to burn it into your memory. I usually remember general ideas from dreams easily, but the details are always vague and cloudy.

BTW... Anyone really interested in lucid dreaming should get an Ambien perscription. Works wonders and initiates quite a show during sleep, I have come to learn.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we have no idea how much brainpower one is using at any given time...

36yrs • F •
But, we DO know that sleep is produced by hormones that cause certain parts of the brain to "turn off," for lack of a better word, and send the voluntary functions of the body, such as breathing, into an involuntary mode.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 35yrs • M •
certain parts off, others on... no change in total brain power.

36yrs • F •
Well, like I said, it is all in theory. My point is that I am not convinced dreams can predict much of anything.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
FUNCTIONS OF THE BOBY SUCH AS BREATHING ARE ALWAYS INVOLUNTARY, YOU DONT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT AND PROCEED TO ACT APON EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE, NOR DO YOU HEAR OF ANYBODY COMMIT SUICIDE BY HOLDING THEIR BREATH.

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 35yrs • M •
dreams are most definatly voluntary.

36yrs • M •
ARE YOU SAYING YOU PICK EVERY TIME YOUR GOING TO DREAM?

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dadadoo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think dreams are sometimes just for fun.....but others do predict..... one example is i had a dream about a huge fire that happened in one of my favourite tv programmes the next week there was a huge fire in the tv programme

dreams are weird,you can predict absolutely ANYTHING

"lazieness is a virtue"
 35yrs • M •
you can say when and what you're gonna dream about, yes

36yrs • M •
REALLY? HOW?

47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do not know why certain dreams happen at certain times, but I do know that the sub-conscious self-monitoring center in your brain is responsible for turning on your "dream center". Whenever some part of your body tells the sleeping brain that something is uncomfortable, your self-monitoring system turns on for a while, ready to wake you up if it finds that something is seriously wrong. As a result of the self-monitor running, it allows your dream center to process.

Again, how the dream center chooses what to process, I do not know, but I think the purpose it serves is to try to resolve (one way or another) a mental conflict or contradiction that may be stressing your emotions during the day.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ya know what's weird.

My lucid dreaming is becoming more complex every time I dream..When I get woken up in the morning it's because I'll be in one senario and then I'll just randomly say I'm going home and I'll get in my bed And then I hear a Door open and I can see my dad walking out of his room down the hall to mine.. and in real life I just wake up and I seen my dad opening the door. It's the weirdest thing ever. every morning, that's how I wake up.

But other than the ending. While I'm in the actual visual state of dreaming I automatically notice I'm in a dream, because I'm no longer in my bed at night.. It's usually outside daytime. Then some crazy things happen. I can feel when people touch me or hear the sound of their voice if they're talking to me. And I can just operate like in any daily routine. But the wonders of dreaming is that I can make any senario I want, And do anything I want.. Of course, I take full advantage of this. [like feeling the wind blow up on you as you plummit from the sky off side of a plane 15,000 feet up/]

I think lucid dreaming Is just a sign that you're unlocking new 'powers' so to speak in your mind. Like gaining control of the subconscious level. But can only maintain that control in the dream state. The psychic abilities etc.etc/

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Like gaining control of the subconscious level

That makes sense. I used to have the same nightmare over and over from about age 3 (or maybe younger) to about age 13. Eventually, I could remember the details of my dream when I awoke, and by the time I was 13, I recognized (while in the nightmare) that I was dreaming and seemed to be able to consciously make decisions about how I wanted the dream to go.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that some dreams have the purpose of preparing you for what's to come, and some are to make sense of what's already happened. The one's that prepare you for the future, I think work in a power of suggestion type way, the type of dreams that usually make no particular sense ,and tend to be encrypted with a form of symbolism that your higher consciousness can understand, thus enabling to subconsciously guide us forward in the right direction. And the other dreams, in my opinion are summaries of the past days, weeks, months, even years, sort of like when you defragment your pc. every now and then we need to gather all the information stored in our brains and arrange them in "compressed files" to make enough space to store even more information, and also to make our brains run more efficiently. This is why I think it's vital to our mental health that we get enough sleep so this process can occur in the form of dreams.

Dreams... useless or amazing - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy