The problem with the designated driver program - it's not a desirable job. But if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Questioning God's Existence - Page 7

User Thread
 31yrs • M •
Mercy01Free is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ok this is what I think. I dont care if you agree or not. The story of a god or a creature is very childish. We think sence we cant comprehend what made everything it must be a god. Now when i say god i mean a higher being who did just what the christian bible said. Im not educated about other religions but this is what im going off. The bible and the stories of god were made in order to keep order. They strike that fear in us so we be good little boys and girls and play nice and exist peaceufly. Now lets say there is a god or higher being. Do you really think he would let his greatest creation get so out of hand like it is now. What type of god would alow such violence and hate. Dont you think he would put a stop to it or hell send Jesus down here again to calm everything down, but no if anyone were to come out in public and declair that he was indeed the son of god people would laugh at and ridicule him. People dont care anymore which is why if god wanted to let him self be known then why not unleash the three plauges that he had done before to cleanse his world of its failures and save who has devoted them selves to him. So all im trying to say is i dont belive in god and im not trying to convert anyone. These are just my thoughts on the subject.

""Or is it?" - Me"
 32yrs • F •
idace is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I havnt read all of the previous post or checked the date of the thread, but i still want to share my pov.

When i was a small kiddo i believed in god, i even made prays. but i never believed in any of these gods from our religions on this earth.
So i dont know if it was a god or not, but it helped.. it really did.
Since the humans only have a few percent of our brains active and working with, i think all of this "all mighty" powers comes from our self, and that we cud easily be able to guide our self with it.

as a sum up, i think we are our own gods. but we are to weak to realize it.. or on the other hand we dont want to..
People will call you crazy and u'r scared of becomming an outsider.. but i think im not alone about this theory

also, them people calling them self psychic... in my eyes, they have developed there brain further... i think everyone on this planet have the power to controll many things that accure in the univers...

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Entertain for a moment why we have the need to construct the concept of God. We know that we began as a species early to conceive of polytheistic gods to explain that which we could not, or to justify that which we needed to rectify. This evolved to monotheism as our understanding grew. But as our understanding increased further, a conflict between our knowledge and even monotheism grew. Why?

One reason that seems apparent is our mortality. Without spirituality, death is an end to ourselves. We do not want to think that we are finite, even if we are. We do not want life to end.

Another reason oft stated even within this thread is justice, or what some call morality. Though there is no empirical evidence that there is any connection between belief in a God and justice, we want to think so. This is because injustice becomes all the more egregious if there is no final balancing of the scale. Gruesome, senseless acts much more gruesome if there is no final accounting. This realization does not decrease ethical behavior, as argued through. In fact it may increase it. A suicide bomber might not perform this hideous act if he did not believe in an eternal paradise. The percentage of felony inmates that state that they have a strong belief in God is many times greater than in the general populace.

But I would argue that the foremost reason for belief is an effort to maintain our sense of self importance. The early church fought with severe punishment to suppress the concept that the earth was not the center of the universe. The modern church fights diligently against evolution. The need to see ourselves as the crown of creation drives our need for a Being, whom is concerned with our lives.

In short, we believe because we need to believe in order to cope with an almost unfathomable existence.

Extensive studies have shown that almost without exception every single driver thinks that they are a very good driver among many many poor drivers. Given the accident statistics, some of them must be wrong.

27yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that agentchaos is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im kinda an agnostic atheist, we could all in some kind of "matrix" or artificially created world in which case there is a god or gods controlling it, but a more likely case for god would be some Devine energy field, if there was a "god" it would be beyond anything you can imagine and it probably dosnt care what you do in you personal life

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that SomeKindaCyan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do not believe in God anymore. I used to be a very devoted Christian. Unfortunately life ran me over a couple of times and I decided that if there was a God I was not thanking and worshiping him for allowing me to be hurt as bad and as many times as I have been. People like to tell me that God doesn't give you more than you can handle- obviously being locked in a state facility because you tried to drive off a bridge is more than you can handle. Over time the idea of God became more and more...incredulous. My mind slowly moved to only being able to accept what you can see, hear and feel. I feel free-er now...not bound down by rules written in a book by men, which the bible states...men are made with sin and make mistakes.

I just can't believe it all now.

""Dying's easy; living's hard." -Wilson"
 70yrs • M •
You have my curiosity. Sorry, but I have to ask. Why drive over a bridge? Not trying to pry (too much). But obviously something wasn't working, and that would be apropos to the question at hand.

Absolutely love your icon. It speaks.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that SomeKindaCyan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm a pretty open book. Driving off a bridge seemed like a sure fire thing. You see it in the movies and it seems sure. Real life bridges are rather strong though and sent my chevy impala bouncing around the rails.

If you meant more the cause without making people uncomfortable there had been a number of assaults, kidnappings, and emotional abuse which spawned my Borderline Personality Disorder.Everytime something would happen I would pray...but asking someone for strength meant to me that I did not have it. Religion was not mentally healthy anymore. When I felt like I did have control, as my own being, is when I started to work on my self control and emotional restraint.

Sorry that was long winded. And thank you, I am a house-holic.

""Dying's easy; living's hard." -Wilson"
 70yrs • M •
Not long winded, but very honest.

I concur that you don't really have anything until you find it in yourself.

I have heard it said that no one that does not believe in God can not be moral. I disagree. Being good when you believe that you are being watched, and that with the threat of punishment, is not being good at all. Being good when no one is watching is truly being good. Some of the most moral people I have met are atheists.

I once studied at seminary. But, I began to have questions. When I asked, I was told not to question but have faith. That is when it began to fall apart for me. It is a poor 'truth' that can not be questioned.

Once you find it in yourself, you have the peace of not having to seek. Once you can know and then truly accept who you are, you no longer need to prove yourself. It was really something to see who I really was, certainly more humbling than I ever would have thought. But I am at peace with myself, and that is something. I do not need a god for this. In fact, that got in my way,

I think that this was long-winded.

Questioning God's Existence - Page 7
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy