And though the rules of the road have been lodged, It's only people's games that you got to dodge. And it's alright, Ma, I can make it. - Bob Dylan
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Where do the ideas in religion come from?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From God or from individuals?

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would say the concepts often promoted in religion are natural and independant of religion, and the basic idea of gathering together in happiness or appreciation of life is also independant.

Whereas religion itself is no more than a tool of control developed from acts of fear and superstition in response to the unknowns of the natural world, which has created resentment and wariness to such ideas and practices as those afore mentioned, which is truly unfortunate.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't ever remember making up a higher power. I always believed in God, still do and always will.

I'm not sure how you mix that with the right or wrong belief.

Beliefs/Religion is an attempt on our part to understand what far above our understanding. It is not correct or incorrect, it is just our perception. A set of beliefs usually emanates from a great person who it was believed very close to God.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
quote:
Whereas religion itself is no more than a tool of control developed from acts of fear and superstition

I believe that this is what most religions have become, but this was not the intent.

I believe that along the way, those who seek after power saw opportunity, used it and abused it. Unfortunately, those who do not know themselves has fallen as one of the many followers of these power mongers.

46yrs • M
"I don't ever remember making up a higher power"

You didn't have to, someone already had, then told you all about it.

"I always believed in God"

This is an odd statement to me, when did you even learn of the word, let alone the concept, and where did it come from. Did you believe in something or were you told to.

"Beliefs/Religion is an attempt on our part to understand what far above our understanding."

Perhaps an attempt to explain, but not to understand, there is a big difference. Understanding requires learning, religion is a stagnant idea that even attempts to claim control of future learning by dismissing anything unrelated to an established belief or contrary to it. Which is not learning, which is not understanding.

"It is not correct or incorrect"

If it makes factual claims, than it is subject to being incorrect.

"but this was not the intent."

It may not have been the intent of honest people first gathering to give thanks and enjoy a common "belief" in ancient history. But by the time the major religions were established, control was the game.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have always contemplated over the belief in "god." or i have at least as long as i remember understanding the concept of god... which was a very young age considering my family is very religious. it wasnt until i was in second grade that i had truly believed god was real.

its what god is, where god comes from, how god works ect. that i have always struggled with.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Understanding requires learning, religion is a stagnant idea that even attempts to claim control of future learning by dismissing anything unrelated to an established belief or contrary to it.
As you have often pointed out, how do you know unless you read & study anything. then you are blindly accepting what is given to you. As you accept & technolgy, do you understand it? Having said much about the beliefs of others, have you study any religion or spirituality as bhuddism or karate?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
I specifically refer to mainstream majority religions, they are what I do have experience with and are the influencing factor in both my personal life and obviously politics across the planet.

No, I don't study all religions, and there are literally too many for anyone to study them all and many are secretive.

64yrs • M •
I know there's a God. This might sound crazy, but I remember before I was born. I don't know why I remember this and nobody else does.

Before I was born I cried, I did not want to come here.

46yrs • M
How do you know those thoughts came before you were born?

35yrs • M •

[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
okcitykid i think you were crying as you were being born into here (like me like everyone) not before you were born.. and so maybe this is why you need "god" (or any word we can agree to affirm to a higher (On many ways) being or whatever).. , on an unrealted to somedegree note: i thkn god (probly doesnt care at akkl) but you dont have to keep him seperate i mean sorry you can keep him seperate from "awake" life that were all living etc.. this conciuios human fun game.. god is back in.. this has little to do with god in a way..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 35yrs • M •

38yrs • F •
Exi-Hiperborean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
God is a concept I can´t really live without... Atheist or not.. I have always had God for a foe or an ally. However, existent or not, I can´t live with the concept that he is reachable... I do not want to reach him...So, knowing that, I have decided to comune with Humans, not gods.. For Man interacts more vividly with humans, not metaphisical beings. And since company is all we, Humankind, really want, it's more reliable to trust humans to provide it (even if our "self" is the only companion we have).[b]

35yrs • M •

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy