The worst pain in life is when someone you know turns into someone you knew. - sweetygirl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Where do the ideas in religion come from? - Page 2

User Thread
 38yrs • F •
Exi-Hiperborean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
But I do not wish to believe in lies. Nor do I do so.Real or not he is in my intelect. Is he not in yours at all? To be able to consider God, one must have the idea of God. And wen God abides in your spirit even as a ypothesis, e is (because a "might be" is almost equivalent , out of fear of mistake, to an "is". To have the idea of God, is a dead end between truth and lie...

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 35yrs • M •

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I remember. I could say, "I saw God," and someone would then say, "are you sure you saw God"

I cannot prove to you that there is a God, anything I say will be questioned. Likewise, you cannot disprove God. Anything you tell me, why there is no God, if you could only experience it as I, only then, but you can't experience, because you only see with your eyes and believe what your small mind that can only think it's limited logic, not understanding that intelegence capable of creating all that is, is far greater than the logic of our small minds.

Anyways - it is true that what I remember may only be my imagination. But it's my imagination and I have faith in it, even if it is only an iterpretation of an event that my mind could not comprehend.

I looked down on the earth and I saw all kinds of terrible things, and I can't remember all the terrible things I saw except for the mushroom cloud, I will never forget the mushroom cloud as it bellowed up. An old man came up to me (who I used to believe was God, and later Jesus, and now I must admit, I don't know who he was) with a white beard, mustache, long hair. He gently put his hand on my shoulder and said, "It's time to go." I was devestated, it broke my heart. I couldn't make the tears stop flowing, And then he said, "it will be okay, everything will be alright."

I have always remembered that. My life hasn't been to bad. I was born in America, the war ended before I would be drafted and now I'm too old. It has been alright for me.

I don't know what to believe about that memory I have, but I don't believe you are an expert in this area either, but I do believe in God, not because I was taught.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"but I do believe in God, not because I was taught"

You don't know where your notion of god or this memory comes from, so your claim's conviction is unwarranted.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 35yrs • M •

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
No, I don't study all religions, and there are literally too many for anyone to study them all and many are secretive.
The question was to qualify your percepts about religions, what religions or spiritualities have you studied?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
I previously specified my focus to be on mainstream religion, as in Christiany, Catholosism and their branches, and those that deal with OT NT teachings, but let me clarify that I haven't been studying them as in schooling, I'm referring to first hand interviews and accountings of sermons and teachings and literature.

And actuall study comes as looking into origins of them, but very passively as I put no stock in any religious claims, for all concerned make similar yet contradictory claims as to which is first, true, right, etc. and even in their general historical accountings.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
Perhaps you could look at man's science & technology. It to is filled with these attitudes & they certainly have changed their view . . . note the great battle between particle & wave theory. Yes, they even came to blows over these beliefs.

46yrs • M
"It to is filled with these attitudes"

What attitudes, this is vague.

"Perhaps you could look at man's science & technology."

But for what purpose, and to what relevance?

72yrs • M •
quote:
I know there's a God. This might sound crazy, but I remember before I was born. I don't know why I remember this and nobody else does.
Perhaps it comes from some past life, a residual memory?
quote:
But for what purpose?
I agree, no purpose for you.

46yrs • M
"I agree, no purpose for you."

I so don't know what you mean, and you're not helping any.

I love science and read conceptual physics books for no reason, I haven't read up on all the history and human stories of triumph and defeat, but I hardly see the relevance to the conversation here.

Feel free to clue me in.

35yrs • M •

46yrs • M
Maybe he can sit on a stick then (completely figuratively), if I don't know what someone is talking about, I'll say so (as I did), and would appreciate clarification (which I have requested more than once and have not received).

The fact that people clash over religious beliefs as well as scientific has what to do with this thread or even our "conversation"?

You don't try to make a point and insult someone if they don't get it, that's retarded.

35yrs • M •

Where do the ideas in religion come from? - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy