The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens. In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. - Thomas Ligotti
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Levels of Consciousness - Page 2

User Thread
 53yrs • F •
expansion is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Are these levels of consciousness from a source, or did you come up with these categories. If from someone else, what is the source?

53yrs • F •
expansion is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everett is on the right track with the percentages being "urban myths", coming from I don't know where, and don't know anyone who knows where.
Having been working (not finished) in a PhD program in Neuroscience, I believe I can speak to the issue with some credibility and with current scientific knowledge. The real answer is, no one knows how much of the brain we use, we are only beginning to be able to see what parts of the brain are being used for different things with the advent of PET scans and fMRI, when the actual areas of the brain active during activities, thoughts, etc. Can be seen. Usually when people talk about "using" their brain, they are referring to conscious activities. But as Everett alluded to, some areas of our brain our always working, we may not be aware of it. Your brain is keeping your heart beating, and you breathing, and regulating the rates, regulating your blood pressure, secreting substances the regulated your hormones, releasing neurotransmitters that regulate your mood, and many other things. Perhaps theoretically 100% of of brain is "available" to us, but we obviously do not or could not be using 100% of our brain all the time or even at one time! Your brain controls everything! You could not or would be able to even carry out all the "preprogrammed" functions in your brain at one time - laugh, cry, run, sing , crawl, move every part of your body, do math, remember what you have to do today, what you did yesterday.... you'd have a meltdown. We are just learning what areas of the brain are involved in even simple tasks. For example, when showing people pictures of different things, some disturbing, some pleasant; many different areas of the brain are activated, and different areas are depending on the type of picture. Looking involves the "motor" activity of receiving an imaging on the visual cortex, processing it, however, we will have some reaction to that picture, takes place in an area of our brain called the limbic system.
It might make us feel good, showing activity in areas of the brain involved with pleasure. The photo usually will evoke memories related to the subject matter, or judgment, involving other areas. You get the picture. Just an interesting "factoid". There is a region of our brain that is activated when we feel empathy. When "normal" people look at a photo of a human (or animal) suffering, being tortured; etc.; this area is very active, there are also strong responses in other areas of the brain. Psychopaths, when shown these disturbing photos, show know activity in these areas; "biologically" they are not wired to feel empathy, it is not just pyschological, the areas of the brain that create this feeling are not working. So, I would say maybe it is more accurate to say we only understand 10% of the brain! And consciousness, what is consciousness, what is the difference between mind and brain, these are areas so little understood that most scientists won't even "go there"!

42yrs • F •
quote:
Are these levels of consciousness from a source, or did you come up with these categories. If from someone else, what is the source?

Hi expansion, I tried googling that entire list with very poor results, this is what I came across:

http://untilheaven.tripod.com/id57.htm - it's a page that has no credibility and it has that exact list on it. The opening to that page says 'Psionics, the discipline dealing with practical application of preternatural powers, has become quite highly developed by the Vulcans as both art and science, though naturally poorly understood among non-telepathic races. It was made a requirement for entry into the Inter-Galactic Council, used for faster-than-light (FTL) communication and to detect and fight machine and artificial intelligences (MIs, AIs).' - is this about the Vulcans from Star Trek??

And this is what wikipedia says about psionics:

quote:
Psionics refers to the practice, study, or psychic ability of using the mind to induce paranormal phenomena. Examples of this include telepathy, telekinesis, and other workings of the outside world through the psyche.

Psionics as a practice - Psionics as a practice has been becoming more and more common. Many communities exist on the internet claiming to be psychic and to be able to instruct their members in the ways of psychokinesis and ESP, the first of which being Psi Palatium in 1997. One belief that distinguishes them from other types of psychic groups is that they believe that psi is a type of cerebral energy manifested in the form of thoughtforms; in their terminology, constructs. They believe that the abilities, tasks, or traits these thoughtforms are subject to the thoughts of the creator. The exact origin of this belief is quite vague, but it appears to have taken off during the late 20th century.

Fiction - Psionics (used as a term for psychic abilities) in fiction appear in almost as many varieties as magic does, and are often deeply entwined with many related paranormal or science fiction phenomena. - wikipedia

So that list falls into the fictional category, unless it was originally sourced from another place with credibility.

btw - that is a really cool avatar picture.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 49yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ill_llI is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The highest level of consciousness is knowledge that one stands on the edge of the universe's expansion into the unknown which is now about 14 billion light years away from where the lowest level of consciousness began.

"The birds have their nests in the trees and the foxes have their holes in the ground, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest His head."
 60yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that absolutely is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it is about being true whatever you are

but to b true is to b above truth

and to b above truth is to b absolutely superior

while absolute superiority is never being

then again it is exclusively to objective truth that has never anything to do with anyone nor facts logics but all to its own existence free presence

so again it is about being true whatever u r honest about
thn that freedom sense out of being is related to true freedom which may abuse it and use ur brain for its own agendas

which in a way give a perspective of objects absolute nature
how 10% and 90% of brain use lead to exact same objective value result that exist already

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
First of all I'm not sure if we know the exact amount a person uses there brain.
I would imagine it would vairy on the host.

But from research Ive discovered we use from 5% to 10% at any 1 time but have access to 75%.
(Its Impossible to ride a bike whilst swimming for example)
But there are many different parts of your brain that are capable of a lot more and we no longer have use. Such as the pineal gland has the ability to send and receive a type of radio wave.

Secondly there's not many on your list that actually exist just a lot of misinterpretation.
The modern understanding is that there's two layers of consciousness unconscious and conscious.

Although i do agree there are multiple levels if conscious its just being able to elevate to the mental state.

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Source-according to steven fry on a program in england called Qi

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 30yrs • M •
NikAnra21 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hello,

Im new here. Nice to meet you all. Im actually one of the people who personally don't believe in the, please allow me to use the term, rumor: "we only use 10%, 6%, 12% of our brain".

With a scientistic perspective, i think i should vehemently conclude that if a brain is supposed to be compose as a whole; therefore, 100%, and we only use partial of it, what would be the effect is that the remainder of the brain who happens to be unused would be eliminated by process of natural selection. Every part of our brain: temporal, frontal, parietal, and occipital, as well as the cerebellum imposes functions. It should be taken into note that not all parts of the brain are solely functional to our thinking.

Therefore, I would then to believe this was philosophical? and i would like to inquire with you guys?

34yrs • M
weituloh is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Actually, the brain has nothing to do with consciousness.

What gives us the idea that consciousness comes from the brain?

62yrs • F •
koka is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have a certain amount of telepathy with my daughters. So I'm convinced it is in existence but we (humans) are not evolutionarily ready for this.

If a switch was flicked today and telepathy was the order of the day would you be happy to have your thoughts read by everyone?

Happy to know that they now know what you really think of them!

What your PIN number is and how much is in your bank or that you dropped that food on the floor and popped it straight onto their plate (5 second rule) lol

We are simply not ready. We need a whole lot of self awareness, empathy and basic growing up to do first before the full potential of our power is known, in my opinion.

Don't believe everything you think!

"Don't believe everything you think!"
 24yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Has anyone here actually read anything about neuroscience (other than Everett and expansion)? It seems like people are just pseudosciencing at each other here.

Telepathy? I think you mean you have enough knowledge about your daughters that you can guess what they are thinking and are often right, but this does not constitute telepathy. It is more like empathy and extended theory-of-mind.

We do have a limited ability to guess what people are thinking by hooking up electrodes to a person's brain and decoding the patterns with a computer but that's about it. Although I think there was a Dvice article about somebody making a device that was hooked up to their brain and they could transmit thoughts to another device which was hooked up to another person's brain. Cybernetic telepathy? Now that would be cool. Although you would have to be careful of what you're thinking when the device is on! I guess it would be more of a brain-connected cell phone.

62yrs • F •
koka is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Please don't presume I am referring to guessing what they would like for tea/dinner or that they are due to come to my house. We have conducted experiments as scientifically as possible.

It started one day when I was hurt but felt stifled and unable to cry out so I gritted my teeth together and just imagined the scream in my mind. Within seconds my daughter came running saying she heard me scream out - I did not scream out loud. But the scream was definitely going on in my head

I believe people think that thoughts are "in your head" confined inside the brain but the process is actually happening above the head in the ether. So, if the energy is free to roam above your skull what is so unusual about another individual picking up those thoughts or as we used to say "vibes"?

We decided that it would be interesting to investigate this further.

"Don't believe everything you think!"
 34yrs • M
weituloh is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
koka, why don't you investigate it this way. Make ten attempts to send thoughts to your daughter each day. Report back tomorrow how many attempts were successful. We will proceed from there to prove that you are right. How's that?

24yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good suggestion weituloh.
We shall determine whether these telepathic powers are within experimental error.

Levels of Consciousness - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy